Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G working intermittently :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since V6.xxx , I've gotten intermittent 3G issues. Sometimes shuts down for 2-3 minutes and sometimes for 30+ minutes where the bars completely disappear, NAV shows grey squares, no slacker... I've talked to some other owners in EV gatherings and some of them experienced the same thing. It's not a question of coverage trust me, it happens anywhere, anywhen, no pattern.

Is that a documented defect and being discussed elsewhere?

I am having this issue as well ever since getting 6.0. One time I got in the car, no cell connection for 5 minutes then I was surprised to see "E" show up momentarily then switched to 3G. I don't think I have ever seen edge connection before.

I'm not sure if this is the same as what you're seeing: I complained to my service centre about my 3G connection taking up to 20 minutes to connect after getting in the car. They said it's a known issue relating to power save mode in 6.0 and the workaround for now is to turn off power save mode. Not very satisfactory - I'd prefer not to be losing range while sitting still - but it's what they suggested. Hopefully a real fix will come soon.

I can confirm this. I was having no 3G for 10-15 minutes about half the time when I get in the car. Also sometimes the 17" non responsive too, and sometimes the instrument display is rebooting on its own. But I find if I turn off the Energy Saving mode, the problem is gone. So I think it's a bug - something goes wrong when waking. And it started happening at first with 6.0. I have 1.67.43 right now. BTW, it might not seem like this is the problem right away, as Slacker continues to play for a while out of its buffer, but if you look at the 3G bars, they're gone, and after a min or two, Slacker goes quiet, and I have to wait for the 3G to come back.

I am having this issue as well ever since getting 6.0. One time I got in the car, no cell connection for 5 minutes then I was surprised to see "E" show up momentarily then switched to 3G. I don't think I have ever seen edge connection before.

This was a very recent software change (post 6.0). Previously, the display would still say 3G when connected to a 2G signal.

This was particularly irritating for UK users, where Tesla's chosen network provider has large amounts of 2G-only coverage which is GPRS only, not even EDGE, and so previously you could have a full 5 bars of "3G" and nothing would work. Now, we can look at the indicator and if it says "E", not bother even trying to use navigation, voice control etc.

Same here. I'm told by Vancouver's Service Centre that this is a "Canada only" issue and has to do with the roaming issue after the update to 6.0. This makes sense since I spent last weekend in the States and there were no connection problems but it happened again once returning to Canada. I was sent a questionnaire form by service to fill out to help assist with diagnosing the problem.

So, long story short, car has gone back to service a couple more times for related issues. When I got the car back the first time, as mentioned, the 3G stopped working again. Screen was replaced. Got it back again, worked perfect for a couple of days then the screen starting acting up (reacted as if someone were touching it randomly near the bottom portion usually), then it was frozen every time I got in the car. Second screen replacement now, update to 1.67.80, and just got it back. Hopefully no more issues.

Tesla service has been superb through this however. I have nothing but compliments for them and their help on this.