Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Q1 M3 New Owners Help Group!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "M3 New Owners - 1-10 March 2021 Help Group!"

There is a lot of great info across the forum but it looks like owning a Tesla is a major research effort to get the best from it.

My story so far:
12 Jan - On a whim decided to book a virtual session, Tesla sales guy persuades me to skip the virtual session and went straight to test drive on the 15th
15 Jan -Test drive went well - after a few discussions at home and looking at how to get sell my lovely Porsche Boxster.....
19 Jan - Decided to order LR White/White/19"
25 Jan - Porsche sold
26 Jan - Text arrives - Panic sets in!
Jan-Feb - More panic
1-10 Mar - Collecting from Thorpe Park

I wondered if a thread for total Tesla noobs would be useful, so we are all ready for about 5 weeks time.

So far I think what I need to do:
  1. Initial Insurance quotes - why is my current Directline policy change mean it is twice the price of Churchill.
  2. Quotes for charger with aim to get installed before end of Feb - probably Zappi
  3. Look at energy provides and see if something like Octopus is the way to go
  4. Sort out my cherished number plate - where to get it and with green flash
  5. Decide if I am going to add FSD after delivery.
  6. Look at which apps/monitoring to use - already downloaded and installed Teslamate
  7. Start looking at apps Zap Map
  8. Do I need a screen protector
  9. Mud flaps.....why haven't they been installed before, does the new MIC come with them, do I get them free and install myself or buy something different!
  10. Do I need better mats
  11. Read the manual then read it again
  12. Watch 3,000 more YouTube videos
What else have I missed?
Is everyone else feeling a little more stress in moving from ICE to Electric than if they'd stayed ICE?

Would appreciate feedback from the other newbies and anything from old hands

Last edited by a moderator:
I think with so many topics you may be at risk of creating a forum within a forum :) This thread could get very long very quick and it'll be hard to track responses when users could be discussing any one of your 12 points above.

I appreciate that a lot of the threads on here do go very detailed/technical very quickly, but you may have better luck posting individual threads for queries you have if the forum search yields no results. You can state you're new and respondents will try to be more succinct with their answers.

A wiki with useful links to resources would be a great idea though.

Reactions: Adopado and M3noob
The aim was more what to think about and research rather than discussing the answers. I assume this forum doesn't allow editing the first email as that is what is missing is the sticky wiki type threads you get on places like FlyerTalk where you don't need to read back through hundreds of messages to avoid asking the dumb question as all the key point are at the top of the wiki thread. Looks like there maybe add-ons to allow wiki stuff in Xenforo but it isn't clear.

Welcome aboard.

Lots of your queries have been explored at length passim.

Are you sitting comfortably? Drink to hand? Use the excellent search feature herein.

There's a lot to take in and the UK Tesla hive mind can help once you've dug in.

New issues pop up all the time, often associated with the bittersweet nature of some updates.

Stay tuned.

A wiki with useful links to resources would be a great idea though.

The aim was more what to think about and research rather than discussing the answers. I assume this forum doesn't allow editing the first email as that is what is missing is the sticky wiki type threads you get on places like FlyerTalk where you don't need to read back through hundreds of messages to avoid asking the dumb question as all the key point are at the top of the wiki thread. Looks like there maybe add-ons to allow wiki stuff in Xenforo but it isn't clear.

UK 2021 Orders and Deliveries

Anyone can edit the first page of a wiki post and work is in progress on the following sections but time and flux with going through the changeover to Chinese vehicles is limiting some of the past experiences.

Many of the answers to the questions in OP come down to personal preference and/or opinion and there is no better way to get the lie of the land than searching and reading the numerous experiences of others on the forum.

At the end of the day, many people have put in a lot of time and effort answering peoples specific queries. There is a lot of information out there for those prepared to read up on it. For others, the search feature is there to help, a task made easier if meaningful thread names are used and/or tags.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Adopado and M3noob
FSD or not will depend on your usage really, as auto lane changing (and keeping autopilot) on and moving the car backwards and forwards at a glacial pace is about all its useful for in the UK right now, and for the forseeable future. I would say that I have used Autopark once in nearly 12 months of ownership, and it did it seamlessly, but I was very anxious about it kerbing the alloys.

It seems like you've covered off most of the bases to be honest :) I'm sure you'll love it.

I put a screen protector on mine, just because really. Even though you're never going to drop it (lol) you would kick yourself if you clipped it with a ring or your watch one time, for the sake of £20 or whatever. Matte protectors actually make the screen easier to see in sunlight, apparently (I went with gloss).

The car ought to come with fitted mudflaps (on the back).

Lots of your queries have been explored at length passim.

Are you sitting comfortably? Drink to hand? Use the excellent search feature herein.

Had you read what I posted, I didn't post them as questions for people to answer. They were staements and rhetorical questions to get other noobs to respond with what they had found and were struggling with in terms of getting ready for something which is far more complicated than a normal car if you want to take full advantage of the features.

As someone who has spent over 40 years in IT through mainframe assembler programming to management in Software companies, telling me to use the search is a complete insult and is the sort of condescending comment which will put anyone off.

I've spent many hours researching the items I've mentioned through the forums and was trying to share what I'd discovered as challenges and thought worth sharing with other people new to Tesla who were looking forward to their new car. This was a short thread with a life of 5 weeks which I thought would help everyone new ownership in that March drop to share their discoveries and challenges.

I'm apologise to all the "experts" here who find what I tried to do as bad, please delete this thread. Like many similar sites being in a single UK subforum under a US owned Forum suffers as it is covering all the subjects in the many forums at the main level, which are able to be separated logically and have stickies and make organisation simpler.

I'll go back to lurking.

Exit stage left sad disillusioned new Tesla owner to be.

Reactions: john19951
There is a lot of great info across the forum but it looks like owning a Tesla is a major research effort to get the best from it.

My story so far:
12 Jan - On a whim decided to book a virtual session, Tesla sales guy persuades me to skip the virtual session and went straight to test drive on the 15th
15 Jan -Test drive went well - after a few discussions at home and looking at how to get sell my lovely Porsche Boxster.....
19 Jan - Decided to order LR White/White/19"
25 Jan - Porsche sold
26 Jan - Text arrives - Panic sets in!
Jan-Feb - More panic
1-10 Mar - Collecting from Thorpe Park

I wondered if a thread for total Tesla noobs would be useful, so we are all ready for about 5 weeks time.

So far I think what I need to do:
  1. Initial Insurance quotes - why is my current Directline policy change mean it is twice the price of Churchill.
  2. Quotes for charger with aim to get installed before end of Feb - probably Zappi
  6. Look at which apps/monitoring to use - already downloaded and installed Teslamate
  9. Mud flaps.....why haven't they been installed before, does the new MIC come with them, do I get them free and install myself or buy something different!
What else have I missed?
Is everyone else feeling a little more stress in moving from ICE to Electric than if they'd stayed ICE?

As an 18 Month owner of a Model 3 my only advice is to not overthink / stress too much, get used to a Charging Pattern and you'll learn the rest learn as you go.

If you're just talking about a list, I would add getting GAP insurance. I've been quoted £370 for 4 years (return to invoice):

13. GAP insurance

I have also had advice not to get the charger until you get the delivery of the car - just so your warranty for the charger will be fully used.

I also don't know why so many chargers look like so bad! The only good looking one is the Anderson A2, and I feel like its over priced.

I also don't know why so many chargers look like so bad! The only good looking one is the Anderson A2, and I feel like its over priced.
Yes, I'm thinking Zappi as I have solar and they have other prodcuts which I might get in the future. With both the Anderson and the Zappi they will detect when you are sending unused power to the grid and charge the car instead. I have to agree the Anderson looked the nicest but not really investigated it in as much depth yet.

I'd forgotten about the GAP insurance and as you say probably be worth having it, given the acceleration an accidental press of the accelerator could get you in a very dangerous place.

I'm apologise to all the "experts" here who find what I tried to do as bad, please delete this thread. Like many similar sites being in a single UK subforum under a US owned Forum suffers as it is covering all the subjects in the many forums at the main level, which are able to be separated logically and have stickies and make organisation simpler.

I am by no means an expert but I have owned my car for nearly a year now. I am a bit scared to answer your post though, in case you tell me off :D

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I am by no means an expert but I have owned my car for nearly a year now. I am a bit scared to answer your post though, in case you tell me off

You look a friendly chap, how could anyone tell you off.

I wasn't telling off, it was just frustrating when people don't read what you have posted (even if it might have been a grammatical mess, one of my best skills I've developed over the years). The title said Help Group not Answer my Points because I am to lazy to search for them. We've already had a few useful comments on things I'd forgotten in the last 2 weeks or hadn't clicked I should do it. I'm sure it isn't the end of the world not doing most of these things but for a bordering on OCD person this is all part of the fun.... or at least it was until I was shot down.

If you're just talking about a list, I would add getting GAP insurance. I've been quoted £370 for 4 years (return to invoice):

13. GAP insurance

I have also had advice not to get the charger until you get the delivery of the car - just so your warranty for the charger will be fully used.

Gap insurance is deffo a must - However if you go with Churchill they actually include a return to invoice for the first 12 months which is good. So that means you can skip the first year and get it after 12 months.

This is a link to the older "classic" site that I prefer but there is an updated version too
What do you like about the classic version, I did note down the main site in my searching around.b It is a pity Waze isn't actively developed they already have the info sharing mindset and with things like potholes (lost 2 alloys to potholes in the past) and camera alerts - if it could add chargers etc it would be great for planning.

I’d reorder the list and add “order car” about 6th. Too many order then start asking questions only to find they don’t like the answers. On a forum the other day I saw someone who could afford the monthly payments for the car but insurance went up about 3 grand which they couldn’t also afford, some asking how they’d charge because they haven’t got off street parking, etc. If nothing else, research tells you which model to get when you do order.