Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally pulled the trigger on my first EV, a MYP 2023. Collecting next Tuesday and trying to get my ducks in a row.

We're purchasing via our Ltd Company. Owner is company, Registered Keeper is me. I'm assured this is the way to do it, for the HMRC 100% year 1 offset corp tax. Using PCP, via Tesla Black Horse.

Insurance
I've been looking into Insurance. Plan to get final quotes from Churchill, Admiral and LV. Any other recommended? I'm 47, so no SAGA, but have 9+ NCB. :)

GAP
No idea where to go here, any recommendations?

Charger
I'm thinking of the Easee One. Is there much advantage in using Tesla's own, or will I be fine with the Easee?

Looking forward to it!

Reactions: Msicario
We're purchasing via our Ltd Company. Owner is company, Registered Keeper is me. I'm assured this is the way to do it, for the HMRC 100% year 1 offset corp ta

I'm as good as certain that's all fine, but would prefer someone else confirm,.

If you haven't spoken to your accountant yet I recommend you do that - accountant may not know, but will then be on notice to find out!!

Probably any of them will do.

If you have / intend-to-have Solar Panels you might want something that starts charging car when it detects that you are exporting (e.g. Zappi)

Not sure there is much benefit to the Tesla one. Mine has a [considerably] more robust, and longer, cable than my Zappi. But its older model, and dumb (and I don't know what benefit a newer model has). I'm happy with that (it provides power to the car, so if the car says "Charge" that will happen, and thus I can drive the whole car-charging "from the car"

The Tesla one has a button on the Wand that will open the charge flap (but you can just push the flap to open) and, much more useful, the button will stop a charge, unlock the charger, and you can remove it (car has to be unlocked to allow that, so a spotty youth can't walk up and disconnect you for-a-larf), the alternative is to get your phone out, open the APP, navigate to the bit where you can do STOP CHARGE and/or UNLOCK CHARGER ... or lean into the car and stretch across to the screen and do similar and then walk to the back of the car to disconnect .... that's a lot more faff. I find the "wand button" useful

Out-of-the-box the car will do "Start at 00:00" or "Stop at 04:00" but not both [**] (so if charging isn't finished you will overrun your Off Peak and finish charging at Peak tariff). Some people work around that by setting charge limit (after returning "empty" from a long trip) to, say, 50% tonight and then 80% tomorrow night. Bit of a faff.

You can use a 3rd party tool like TeslaFi or Tessie to schedule stuff like "Stop charging at 04:00" - which will overcome that limitation (and you can schedule a bunch of other stuff, such as starting the cabin climate 20 minutes before your ,morning departure for work, and ditto before leaving work, and alert you if you forget to plug in at home, and if the work charger trips out and you aren't getting any juice whilst at work .... and so on. The more nerdy you are the more useful that will be ... if you aren't the least bit nerdy then probably skip all that stuff!!

But the "Start at 00:00" works well. If you come home dirty-stop-out considerably after that it will still start charging, and with dumb charger you can come home and do "Charge now" (on dashboard or APP) and the car will charge. If you have a smart charger you are likely to have to also open that APP and override that. Ditto if you have an EV mate round and they plug in ... they won't get anything until you work magic with the APP to override it. So, for my money, Dumb Charger is better.

[**] I seem to think that a recent update may have improved on that ??

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I'm as good as certain that's all fine, but would prefer someone else confirm,.

If you haven't spoken to your accountant yet I recommend you do that - accountant may not know, but will then be on notice to find out!!
My accountant told me not to do that said the company had to be the keeper if the company owned the car.
he was talking bollox and I ignored him.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Can you offset the purchase price against tax in entirety in one year when you pay by PCP? My understanding was it had to be bought outright, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something.

It seems odd though that you can spend £3500 between now and next April on a few monthly payments and shave up to £16k (?) off your next tax bill ?

Our Ltd company owns ours and for insurance purposes is the registered keeper. All good. We use Tessie and setup our electricity rates then run monthly costs Report. Each month we charge the Company the electricity to charge the car. You can likely do the same in Teslafi or any of the others.

Supercharging is also charged directly to the company. Unfortunately I’ve not found a way of getting an invoice or receipt for the Supercharging, but might be missing something.

Our Ltd company owns ours and for insurance purposes is the registered keeper. All good. We use Tessie and setup our electricity rates then run monthly costs Report. Each month we charge the Company the electricity to charge the car. You can likely do the same in Teslafi or any of the others.

Supercharging is also charged directly to the company. Unfortunately I’ve not found a way of getting an invoice or receipt for the Supercharging, but might be missing something.
Isn't the receipt available under your app?, profile, account, charging, history, invoice.

Reactions: Lee Davis
Finally pulled the trigger on my first EV, a MYP 2023. Collecting next Tuesday and trying to get my ducks in a row.

We're purchasing via our Ltd Company. Owner is company, Registered Keeper is me. I'm assured this is the way to do it, for the HMRC 100% year 1 offset corp tax. Using PCP, via Tesla Black Horse.

Insurance
I've been looking into Insurance. Plan to get final quotes from Churchill, Admiral and LV. Any other recommended? I'm 47, so no SAGA, but have 9+ NCB. :)

GAP

Charger
I'm thinking of the Easee One. Is there much advantage in using Tesla's own, or will I be fine with the Easee?

Looking forward to it!
Congratulations; Enjoy it to the fullest 👍🏻

Reactions: djtaylor
Usually your insurance policy will cover GAP for the first year of the cars life so may not need it?
Most GAP insurers require it be purchased within a relatively short time following delivery of the car (I think 90 days). You are absolutely correct that most insurance policies provide for new replacement if a car is written off during year one. So if you want GAP insurance I was advised to get it shortly after taking delivery of the car but have its effective date kick in on the first anniversary. I’m certain someone will point out that I am completely wrong. And I’m not making any judgment regarding the wisdom or otherwise of buying GAP insurance.

Reactions: manud123
I’ve not found a way of getting an invoice or receipt for the Supercharging, but might be missing something.

Our accounts people have my APP password and they download the invoices using the APP each month. I aint doing it for them ... pity not available from Web "My account" as downloading from there would be a lot easier than on poxy tiny phone screen and keyboard.

Reactions: Lee Davis
Congratulations! Loving my first EV which is a 2021 3LR.

My only query would be the PCP/100% issue - as a sole trader I know for the 100% it had to be bought outright or on HP (not PCP) - but could well be different for a LTD?

I actually went for a 2nd hand one primarily as it meant I could write down 18% a year - I didn’t want the entire write down to go into the year of purchase (for very convoluted reasons).

Enjoy!

Hi, same here but with leasing. MY LR will hopefully be delivered in September sometime (finance just got approved Monday - still waiting on ordering by the lease company). 2 year lease, midnight silver, black seats, 12000 mpa.

Charger wise (which will be paid by my Ltd) I requested a quote from a local HyperVolt installer, as our house electrical system is mostly untouched for the last 25 years. So we have a 60A (or 85A, unreadable) fuse, looped supply, no cutoff, with thin tails going into a plastic consumer unit. The ability to limit current (active load balancing - in case something else is using a lot of power in the house) will come in handy with HyperVolt (but other smart chargers also have it). I've also applied to Octopus for an Ohme quote but they seem to be using ChargedEV (as I don't remember applying to ChargedEV myself...) as a subcontractor and their video consultation is booked for next week (I might be away next week so I might need to postpone/cancel).

Welcome
Insurance
Good luck... I use PSA insurance (aka Peugeot Insurance) which was the most competitive quote in early 2022... but I think they do not take new customers with Teslas :/

GAP
Nope, never had one. cannot comment.
Charger
Food for thought - get one with tethered cable. Every day you will have to unplug just one cable, less winding etc.
Looking forward to it!

Can you offset the purchase price against tax in entirety in one year when you pay by PCP? My understanding was it had to be bought outright, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something.

It seems odd though that you can spend £3500 between now and next April on a few monthly payments and shave up to £16k (?) off your next tax bill ?

From what I understand (not an accountant) you deduct whatever you paid that year from the profits. So you can't deduct the whole value of the car (or less, like 18% per year, if it's not purchased new) if you've only paid half of it on PCP and still have payments to make. So if you've paid £3500 you'll shave up to whatever the tax of that £3500 would be (20%-ish). If you then sell it down the line (you'll probably sell it at one point) you then add the sale price to your profits and become liable for tax on that. This page explains it well, and helped me make my decision.

Reactions: AndyFov