Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.15 Update with Grey X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you are now recording with 3 cameras instead of 1, the bandwidth required is triple. Slower drives that used to work, won't work any more as they can't keep up.

I think that's the case. I used to have an old 32GB micro SD card with a SD card to USB adapter that would work with the 1 camera system. After the 3 cameras update rolled out, it kept getting corrupted files that can't be played. Switch to a newer flash drive and it was fine.

This has been debunked a number of times.

Each camera is recording at 0.5 mb/s.... so 1.5mb/sec for all 3.... utter crap USB keys can write at ~3-5 mb/sec

It's also pretty well known that the car is picky about the drives used. I had a driver issue with my computer a while back where certain USB drives were only writing at about 1.5MB/sec when they should have been 80+. It was a driver issue and I'm not saying that's what's going on with the cars but it wouldn't exactly surprise me since the car is so picky about the drives used. Drives can certainly underperform if they aren't interacting with the car properly.

I'm using an ssd, and have 64gb set up for the dashcam. And I pulled it today to see what was on it after some 5 days of usage since updating. There was some 16 gb worth of stuff, mostly sentry mode recordings, I guess I'll have to purge those in a week or so. When I plugged the drive back in (leaving everything on there as is) I got the grey dot of doom - but tried the easy trick of pressing it, and it turned to red. Easy fix!

I hope people are remembering Tesla says you should be sure to PAUSE your TeslaCam since it will be recording to the buffer all the time BEFORE you remove your flashdrive. Otherwise good way to introduce corruption. Check the manual under TeslaCam for info on how to do this if you don't know the steps to take.