Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode red X most of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my car in for the third time today. 1st time they changes out the computer. 2nd time they changed out the USB hub. After that I started logging when I got the red X. Found that if sentry mode was left on that most times the USB would connect. I turned off sentry mode in my garage and the red X came back. If the car was plugged in then the USB would work. Gave the service adviser the logs this morning. He said they had two other cars come in today with the same issue. When I picked up the car he said that there were no hardware issues with the car and Tesla is aware and they are working on a firmware fix.

Update: Two new software updates (up to 2024.8.9) with no changes. USB still drops off and requires a reboot to be seen again. Took it into the shop. The service advisor said if it was firmware issue there would be nothing they could do about it.

In service overnight. Next day I got a late call saying it was ready but the advisors had gone home so I didn't have anyone to talk to. The invoice ($0 covered under warranty) simply said "Diagnosed and Replaced Front Center Console USB Hub." USB connected when I picked it up. Drove home, car went to sleep and next morning no USB again.

Continued existing Service Center chat and they (likely a new person) said "Sorry about that, can you fill out a new appointment request". Next appointment, 2.5 weeks. Bless their heart, the new service advisor asked if I'd attempted to format the USB drive. :(

Leaving Sentry mode on 24/7 seems to keep USB connected. Silly I have to do that.
That didn't help mine, but a later software update did.