Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent loss of USB stick icon and playback/security until reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting in late November, I starting losing the USB icon under My Apps overnight, necessitating a 2-button reboot to get it back and to play music from the USB stick. Removing and reinserting the USB stick has no effect. My USB stick is a Sandisk microSD card reader with a 128gb microSD card partitioned for music and sentry etc. It has worked fine since I got it in 2020, and it works fine now when the USB icon appears in My Apps.

At one time, the USB icon appeared in the display of all apps that pops up when you press the 3 dot icon at the bottom of the screen. Now the USB icon is always missing from the display of all apps, even when it appears in My Apps. Is this normal?

For 3 weeks, I experienced the same situation every morning. I usually did not lose USB during the day after leaving the car for up to several hours. On Dec. 21, I took the car in for a service appointment. Unfortunately, USB playback apparently worked the entire time they had it. It still worked yesterday morning and this morning. However, today I went to the store for 1/2 hour, and when I came back to the car, the USB icon was gone from My Apps, and I had to reboot. Thus, loss of USB does not require leaving the car overnight but is an intermittent situation that can occur at any time.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on or what can be done? Since it's an intermittent problem, there's no guarantee that it will occur if I take the car back for service. I hate to waste 5 minutes every time I have to reboot to get back USB playback and probably USB security.

Reactions: hellnoICE
I have figured out that the actual problem is loss of USB security and music when parked with Sentry off. I have only lost USB once when parked away from home, but it happens frequently at home with Sentry excluded. I turned on Sentry at home, and the problem went away. However, since Sentry burns about 40 miles per day, I have scheduled another service appointment and this time have set the Tesla service center as "Work" so that Sentry will be excluded.

Starting in late November, I starting losing the USB icon under My Apps overnight, necessitating a 2-button reboot to get it back and to play music from the USB stick. Removing and reinserting the USB stick has no effect. My USB stick is a Sandisk microSD card reader with a 128gb microSD card partitioned for music and sentry etc. It has worked fine since I got it in 2020, and it works fine now when the USB icon appears in My Apps.

At one time, the USB icon appeared in the display of all apps that pops up when you press the 3 dot icon at the bottom of the screen. Now the USB icon is always missing from the display of all apps, even when it appears in My Apps. Is this normal?

For 3 weeks, I experienced the same situation every morning. I usually did not lose USB during the day after leaving the car for up to several hours. On Dec. 21, I took the car in for a service appointment. Unfortunately, USB playback apparently worked the entire time they had it. It still worked yesterday morning and this morning. However, today I went to the store for 1/2 hour, and when I came back to the car, the USB icon was gone from My Apps, and I had to reboot. Thus, loss of USB does not require leaving the car overnight but is an intermittent situation that can occur at any time.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on or what can be done? Since it's an intermittent problem, there's no guarantee that it will occur if I take the car back for service. I hate to waste 5 minutes every time I have to reboot to get back USB playback and probably USB security.
I have the same issue with my '21 Model Y that I purchased new. The phone charging pad barely works and charge port act up at the same time. I have to push on it to open so it will charge. I just got it back from service and they put the second charge port door and an inductive pad on it and it changed nothing. The USB worked when I picked it up. But the next morning it was not working again.

When I talked to the tech at the Service Center at Nambe in New Mexico, He blamed the software, My lack of knowledge, And my expectations. Then when I told him he need to contact the tech help at Tesla directly, He said his manager was on vacation and he had to wait until she gets back. And when I asked when that was he started Hemming and Hawing. Said he did not know.

I would be very interested what they find on yours!

I have the same issue in my MY. I have the Sentry Icon saved on my quick bar so I can tap to record quickly if need be and not have to honk my horn. A majority of the time when I get into my car there is an X on that icon meaning it is not recognizing a memory device. I then do a 2 wheel button reboot and upon completion of the reboot the X is gone and the memory stick is recognized. I'm happy I can fix it, however it's annoying to have to reboot so often. Also my wife would forget to reboot and that is a security concern for me since then if anything happens it wont be captured by Sentry Mode.

They need to fix this.

The Tesla service center has been able to verify and document the malfunction, but they have not been able determine the cause and are requesting assistance from national Tesla. They advised me that no other customer has had this problem. In other words, I'm patient zero.

To summarize, the problem is that when the vehicle is parked with sentry off, it frequently loses USB security and music within about 10 minutes. This only happens when parked in my garage, since I leave Sentry on otherwise and exclude my home. A soft reboot or two restores all USB functions. The USB source makes no difference.

Myself and a few others in another thread have this same issue & the temporary fix is computer reboot. However, the glovebox usb-a works fine. I have a 2022 Model Y which has Tesla oem data & power capable center storage usb-c module which was sold to me by Tesla & installed by Tesla. It’s been working great until around February 2024.
I tried to make a service appointment & wrote up all the details of the software glitch but their recommendation was to install a power only usb-c module since my car wasn’t shipped with the data ability 🤷‍♂️😤🤷‍♂️. I cancelled the appointment.

Myself and a few others in another thread have this same issue & the temporary fix is computer reboot. However, the glovebox usb-a works fine. I have a 2022 Model Y which has Tesla oem data & power capable center storage usb-c module which was sold to me by Tesla & installed by Tesla. It’s been working great until around February 2024.
I tried to make a service appointment & wrote up all the details of the software glitch but their recommendation was to install a power only usb-c module since my car wasn’t shipped with the data ability 🤷‍♂️😤🤷‍♂️. I cancelled the appointment.
Dang the USB-c module is breaking for you again? sheesh you have the worst luck with USB-C ports. My Tparts data module has been working great since I installed it and it is still working great for data even with the latest update.