Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 doors unlocked by themselves and stayed unlocked the whole night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I received 2 notifications from my Tesla 3 in the Tesla app:
* The doors are unlocked at around midnight
* The doors are unlocked at 1:46AM

The doors stayed unlocked the whole night and I locked them from my phone when woke up. Somebody certainly was in the car checking the content of the door pockets and main console but looks like nothing was taken. Just the content of the door pockets and the console was out.

The doors were locked before and I didn't drive car yesterday, so it was 100% locked the night before.
I do not use the Tesla key cards and both of them (2) are in a safe space in my house.

Sentry mode is on. The car was at 105km charge, Century seemed to work fine but, again, no recordings of any events.
Exclude home/work/favorites are off as well.
I noticed a new feature "Set Camera-Based Detection" in settings today which also was off. This may explain the absence of the recording but I am not suer.

Questions:
1. How to reach out to Tesla support and start the investigation (at least to figure out why the doors magically opened)
2. If you experienced this - how to fix this? Saw some suggestions to reboot the car in some similar threads
3. Why aren't there recordings of the event?

Appreciate your thoughts

I'd use the Tesla app to open a service ticket.

I've gotten notifications that the car is unlocked. I don't know how, but it seems like there are time the "walk away auto lock" doesn't trigger, and then later the car determines no one is in the car and the doors are unlocked so it notifies me. It's happened less than 5 times in 3 years and I am in and out of the car a lot.

Sentry mode is frankly wonky. Also I think if the doors are unlocked it disables.

Do you use any third party apps for your car?

Have you added anyone else to your account?

Are you the first owner of the vehicle?

How long have you owned it?

The doors were locked before and I didn't drive car yesterday, so it was 100% locked the night before.
How do you know the car was locked?

Sentry Mode is active even if the car is unlocked, so there should be a Sentry alert (not alarm) event if someone approached the car, even if that was you. Maybe that only happens with Camera Based Detection enabled. I never enabled/disabled that feature in my car, so I’m guessing it’s enabled by default.

The "doors unlocked" message occurs when the car has been:
- Then unlocked by any means (e.g. internet, keycard, Bluetooth, keyfob)
- Passive proximity-based unlocks (e.g. Bluetooth or keyfob) don't actually occur unless a door is opened.
- Active unlocks (internet, keycard) do actually unlock on command, but will timeout and re-lock if a door is not opened within a minute or so.
- Then door cycled and de-occupied *while* out of proximity range.
- Then left for ~5 minutes or so.

So it sounds like someone did a relay attack on your phone to get the car open, then dropped the relay attack while it was either open or occupied, and then you got the message a few minutes after they left and closed the door. Twice.

P.S. You can't have Sentry mode when the doors are unlocked so that's one reason you didn't get video. But, they may have tried for a while to get the attack to work, triggered some recordings, then deleted them once inside. Try some file recovery methods to see if something exists.

The "doors unlocked" message occurs when the car has been:
- Then unlocked by any means (e.g. internet, keycard, Bluetooth, keyfob)
- Passive proximity-based unlocks (e.g. Bluetooth or keyfob) don't actually occur unless a door is opened.
- Active unlocks (internet, keycard) do actually unlock on command, but will timeout and re-lock if a door is not opened within a minute or so.
- Then door cycled and de-occupied *while* out of proximity range.
- Then left for ~5 minutes or so.

So it sounds like someone did a relay attack on your phone to get the car open, then dropped the relay attack while it was either open or occupied, and then you got the message a few minutes after they left and closed the door. Twice.

P.S. You can't have Sentry mode when the doors are unlocked so that's one reason you didn't get video. But, they may have tried for a while to get the attack to work, triggered some recordings, then deleted them once inside. Try some file recovery methods to see if something exists.
I really don't know about this type of theft. However, I would think there would be a tone of news media stories out there exaggerating this to no end if it was true, especially since its a Tesla. Again ... I really have no direct knowledge of this.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I really don't know about this type of theft. However, I would think there would be a tone of news media stories out there exaggerating this to no end if it was true, especially since its a Tesla. Again ... I really have no direct knowledge of this.

There have been reports of this, actually. Not just the one @Gauss Guzzler linked to, but there are at least a few different threads here either asking the question about something like this, or saying "my car was stolen" and discussion about something similar to this occurring.

There are a few more, but I just wanted to point out that this discussion IS a thing already.

There have been reports of this, actually. Not just the one @Gauss Guzzler linked to, but there are at least a few different threads here either asking the question about something like this, or saying "my car was stolen" and discussion about something similar to this occurring.

There are a few more, but I just wanted to point out that this discussion IS a thing already.
Yes. I have read those.

Appreciate your ideas and suggestions! Will raise a service request right away

Just to add more information:
1. Do you use any third party apps for your car?
No, no third party apps

2. Have you added anyone else to your account?
No, only myself and my spouse

3. Are you the first owner of the vehicle?
Correct, I am

4. How long have you owned it?
Around 2.5 years

5. How far away is your phone from your car at night? Is it within Bluetooth range?
This night the phone (iPhone 14) was within 10m. Interestingly, I manage to open the car only when the phone is withing a meter-or-so distance from the car. Yesterday I put the phone to the same place and tried to open the car - locked, only triggered sentry

6. How do you know the car was locked?
I walked by the evening before, the mirrors were folded. So I assumed the doors were locked

Reactions: rockinshoe
Speaking of Bluetooth proximity/connection between a card and a key - I saw a bunch of threads with quite different results (some people had to be 1 meter away, while others could be up to 10 meters away to open the car).

Is there some official tesla's perspective on it?
For now also turned off the phone key, just to be a bit safer

I noticed a new feature "Set Camera-Based Detection" in settings today which also was off. This may explain the absence of the recording but I am not suer.
Camera based detection has been around since update 2022.44.2

Screenshot_20231105_062352_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Wolfique
I've had this happen to me twice already. 100% when I exited my car I made sure it was locked in the app & physically see the side mirrors folded. Also disabled bluetooth & Tesla app in phone. Then an hour or 2 later my neighbor walks dog ..... comes near my car.& sees side mirrors unfolded & enters my car. 2023 Model 3 delivered on 12/16/23