Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12 - Updated browser, software on demand, new games and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by the auto high beam thing- isn't that how it always worked? (switching down to low beams if it sees an oncoming car)

I thought so, but maybe it just means there’s been improvements to auto high beam. I really hope that’s what it means at least, just last night I used it on 2019.8.5 and it was turning the high beams on when there was a car about 200-300 feet away. Brake lights were clearly visible and yet auto high beam thought it was appropriate to turn on. It definitely needs some work.

I mean you still have to connect to wifi. And you probably can only download it when it’s ready to release to the public not when it’s available for beta testers unless you’re part of the program.

True but wifi is not a problem for me. Right now, I am connecting to wifi 2-3 times a week and checking my data usage to see if maybe today's the day I get an update. It will be nice not to need to do that anymore and instead just relax and check my car to see if an update is available. And if there is an update available, then and only then, I can connect to wifi and get the update.

True but wifi is not a problem for me. Right now, I am connecting to wifi 2-3 times a week and checking my data usage to see if maybe today's the day I get an update. It will be nice not to need to do that anymore and instead just relax and check my car to see if an update is available. And if there is an update available, then and only then, I can connect to wifi and get the update.
Why don't you just leave the car connected to the wifi? And pretty sure you have to be connected to wifi for the update to be available considering they're only releasing to cars with wifi connection now a days.

Why don't you just leave the car connected to the wifi? And pretty sure you have to be connected to wifi for the update to be available considering they're only releasing to cars with wifi connection now a days.

My home wifi does not reach to my car. So I use a mobile hotspot. Basically, I turn on the mobile hotspot and leave it in my car to give my car a wifi connection.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and GSP
it's worked for me for as long as I can remember and I've had the car almost a year.
Yup.

It is so strongly embedded into the system that you cannot "flash" someone with brights because you actually only enable the system to turn of brights, rather than directly turn them on.

It is pretty sensitive, too. It'll even keep the headlights on based on light from your own headlights if there are enough reflectors at the roadside, such as along a stretch of construction where there are a lot of cones set up.

battery warming when going to a supercharger and improved performance by maintaining torque and power... this is a great update
(plus browser and Atari updates...yay)
yea, some nice things. Nolan is going to hate me for say this, but as a person involved in this development decades ago, I still don't understand the mentality behind putting Atari in the car. I get it that people like games, have fun, but I rather get out of the car to stretch and walk instead of sitting in the car to play games. :)

@evster Can you tell by looking at the SW update controls if it is just a notification that you can check to manually initiate download OR is there a 'check for update' function which can then be downloaded and applied?

Really hoping it's the later.... I'd be disappointed if it is just a notification and initiate download function. I mean that's what we already get via phone notification.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Yup.

It is so strongly embedded into the system that you cannot "flash" someone with brights because you actually only enable the system to turn of brights, rather than directly turn them on.

It is pretty sensitive, too. It'll even keep the headlights on based on light from your own headlights if there are enough reflectors at the roadside, such as along a stretch of construction where there are a lot of cones set up.
Yeah you can flash them with high beam. The left stalk pull towards you to turn the high beam on regardless of auto high beam (this is how you flash).

Push left stalk away: Turn on auto high beam
Pull stalk towards you: Turn on high beam

We don't have auto high beams at all yet in Europe, so I welcome this update.
Probably was some sort of regulatory hoops to jump, like certification testing or something that they hadn't yet cleared. It isn't unusual for there to be subtle differences in behavior requirements for different countries, an even if there isn't you'll almost certainly have to prove operation to bureaucrats in the jurisdiction in question. "It was good enough for Canada so Italy is going to accept it as OK sight unseen" isn't really something that happens. :)

Yeah you can flash them with high beam. The left stalk pull towards you to turn the high beam on regardless of auto high beam (this is how you flash).

Push left stalk away: Turn on auto high beam
Pull stalk towards you: Turn on high beam
? Oddly I haven't been able to do this when I tried, pushing it both ways, went hunting for options to toggle, etc. I don't normally flash people, because I see it as just turning it from one person with poor sight into two people. Also plenty of people have flashed me because they think I had brights on, rather than just better headlights than them. :rolleyes: But I have tried turning them on in the case of the roadside reflectors triggering the dimming.

I'll try it again when it happens though, see if I can get it to work.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
@evster Can you tell by looking at the SW update controls if it is just a notification that you can check to manually initiate download OR is there a 'check for update' function which can then be downloaded and applied?

Really hoping it's the later.... I'd be disappointed if it is just a notification and initiate download function. I mean that's what we already get via phone notification.
Even more importantly -- does it tell you what version is available? I doubt it.