Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's not even March 2016 but getting this conversation going early is for the best: It's election year, and as Texas Tesla owners, we need to properly vet our candidates and let them know what's important to us. I would like to compile a list of districts that have reps to vote for, and give them a "Tesla Friendly" grade, based on their public stances and voting records. Whichever candidates have a failing grade will need to be worked on.

I know Tesla Motors has said "Oh, we're doing okay, even with the current restrictions" but the 2017 Session is going to bump up against the 2018 deliveries of the Model ≡. If anything can be accomplished this coming session to take effect immediately or Jan 1, 2018, it's going to make a big difference in combating the dealership cartel. Based on my experience with the 2015 House Committee testimony, we need to take the gloves off in a big way. The supporters of the HB went first and we were playing nice, asking for an exception. Then, it turned very ugly when TADA, GM, and the Easter Seals got up and cried rivers of FUD around the existing protectionist laws.

I propose this year we do the following:

1. Have a VERY public fundraiser(s) for a very good cause, sponsored by the regional Tesla Owners Clubs. This could be done in concert in their respective regions, possibly for the same cause. The more publicity, the better. We can offer rides for donations, raffles, etc.

2. Sponsor at least one Little League team in each region. Possible mascots could be "Tesla Cats" or "Tesla Lighting" or something. Signature Red jerseys with the "TESLA" font would be great. Even investigate placement of a bright red outfield banner with the regional club's logo and contact info. A coordinated game attendance by the sponsoring local club would also make sense.

I'm sure there's more to add, so please speak up. We have a diverse group of people with various connections, skills, and services to provide. If we come together for something we believe is, even the Austin cronies need to take notice. Our numbers grow larger, every day but organization is the key to winning sanity in Austin.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
we could also try the simple approach - don't vote for the guys who insist on supporting dealers

Or even simpler - someone on here who has millions buy one of them from the dealer association. :)

Sorry, my sarcastic frustration came out. I don't even have a Tesla yet and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help out state.

Last edited:
Good point - still not going to vote for anyone who is paid for by for NADA though - sorry, accepted campaign contributions from NADA, it would be wrong to call them bribes wouldn't it.
Depends on how accurate you want to be. Waiters and busboys get paid minimum wages either the expectation that tips will cover the income they don't get as salary, so if you don't tip, you are depriving them of their livelihood. Politicians are paid a living wage. For them to ask for more is just extortion and should have severe penalties.

Depends on how accurate you want to be. Waiters and busboys get paid minimum wages either the expectation that tips will cover the income they don't get as salary, so if you don't tip, you are depriving them of their livelihood. Politicians are paid a living wage. For them to ask for more is just extortion and should have severe penalties.

Aside: if a service worker's wages do not meet the regular Federal minimum, the employer has to make up the difference.

There's also the possibility of trying to get a referendum on the ballot.

Politicians are paid a living wage.
State legislators in Texas make $600 per month, or $7,200 per year, plus a per diem of $150 for every day the Legislature is in session (also including any special sessions). That adds up to $33,800 a year for a regular session (140 days), with the total pay for a two-year term being $41,000.

Texas Legislature - Wikipedia

The goal here (on Super Tuesday) is to identify all the races, and find out which ones are Tesla Motors' direct sales model friendly. Find the ones that are actively against Tesla, hound them, and possibly support their opponents. After tonight, we'll have an idea of what we're looking at for November.

State legislators in Texas make $600 per month, or $7,200 per year, plus a per diem of $150 for every day the Legislature is in session (also including any special sessions). That adds up to $33,800 a year for a regular session (140 days), with the total pay for a two-year term being $41,000.

Texas Legislature - Wikipedia

That's way too much for their actual output.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
That only works where everyone has an equal vote. Gerrymandering being the way it is, this doesn't happen.

I know, an aside, but...

I have always felt the redistricting (aka gerrymandering) is the root of all evil in politics. If the representatives had to represent a "random" mix of people, then they would have to resolve the issues on their home turf. With redistricting based on political views, the representative has a mandate to support the biased political views of their manipulated district.

I know, an aside, but...

I have always felt the redistricting (aka gerrymandering) is the root of all evil in politics. If the representatives had to represent a "random" mix of people, then they would have to resolve the issues on their home turf. With redistricting based on political views, the representative has a mandate to support the biased political views of their manipulated district.
I'd like to see representatives from all walks of life, not just lawyers and a few business people.

With the pay, you only get people who are independently wealthy or have sustaining businesses they can walk away from for 3 months or more.

Unfortunately, the time to weed out the dealer-advocates has just passed. You need to do that in the primary. Very few districts have the potential to swing from one party to the other in the general election.

To paraphrase Boss Tweed, the election is irrelevant if someone else has already done the nominating.

With the pay, you only get people who are independently wealthy or have sustaining businesses they can walk away from for 3 months or more.
Agreed. I never said it was practical to do the way things are now. Of course, we could always take some homeless people and really raise their standard of living, I doubt they could do a worse job :)