Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a crazy prediction here but I think it will definitely touch $300 tomorrow and meet with resistance as lots of longs will be profit-taking.

Maybe some retail traders might take profits, but I highly doubt many institutional investors are going anywhere...

Is Elon selling? Ummm. No
Tencent? No
Ron Baron? No
Big banks? No

Most shares are held by insiders and institutions and they aren't selling

Also, there are many many strong long retail investors. They aren't selling either

Finally, today was the classic breakout on high vol to All-time-high. So, there's no overhead resistance
In this situation, usually there's mass buying

(1) Mild retrenchment with profit-taking longs and shorts who have lots of money shorting even harder, but support above $280 as longs buy in at that point
(2) Slowly battering at that huge set of limit orders to sell from 299 to 300 until it finally bursts through and closes a little above... or maybe it doesn't burst through tomorrow and ends basically flat
(3) Margin-called shorts covering as early as Frankfurt open, and in premarket, and at open, causing a pop above 300, picked up by the mo-mo traders and mo-mo bots and going higher, straight into a short squeeze

Honestly, who knows? Could be anything.

I think (2) is gonna play out tomorrow.

For those reasons : long that think the market is too high to buy more, but still believe big in the future of TSLA .. so the hold position is what's going to probably dominate tomorrow. With still a burst through the 300, because some new longs are going to jump into the wagon.

(1) might happen too.

(3) I don't think it'll happen, uncertainty is too much prevalent I think. Shorts are going to think about what to do, and this scenario might play out after tomorrow. Once they'll settle a decision.

-------
So for tomorrow :
70% chances (2) ; 25% chances (1) ; 5% chances (3).

I highly doubt many institutional investors are going anywhere...

Tencent? No
Ron Baron? No
Big banks? No

Me: I'm selling.

Selling my house, that is. Need to raise cash to buy more TSLA.

OK, that's a poor joke. But I am selling! Need to buy/build something smaller. Anyone interested in one of Wickenburg's finest?
Alaska's not for sale. Well, of course...anything at the right price....

Maybe some retail traders might take profits, but I highly doubt many institutional investors are going anywhere...

Tencent? No
Ron Baron? No
Big banks? No

Most shares are held by insiders and institutions and they aren't selling

Also, there are many many strong long retail investors. They aren't selling either

Finally, today was the classic breakout on high vol to All-time-high. So, there's no overhead resistance
In this situation, usually there's mass buying

Remember guys, a whole of shorts are in absolute pain at this point. I imafine there will be a lot of margin calls tomorrow. If we touch 300, shorts deep in the red may hit the panic button.

(3) I don't think it'll happen, uncertainty is too much prevalent I think. Shorts are going to think about what to do, and this scenario might play out after tomorrow. Once they'll settle a decision.
I don't think #3 will happen if the shorts have a *choice*. If they're getting margin calls, then I think it'll happen. I have no way of knowing how overextended the major Tesla short-sellers actually are though.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on with how Fidelity reports option values? On a day like today it's a bit frustrating to not know what the account value really is because of this type of reporting.

They use "bid" value for calculating position values. Then at some point later, maybe 4-5 hours after market closes, they update values with something that's in between bid and ask, I'm assuming that's the actual market last tick of the day. Then the whole thing breaks down altogether and reverts to a close price from the day before or something along those lines.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on with how Fidelity reports option values? On a day like today it's a bit frustrating to not know what the account value really is because of this type of reporting.

They use "bid" value for calculating position values. Then at some point later, maybe 4-5 hours after market closes, they update values with something that's in between bid and ask, I'm assuming that's the actual market last tick of the day. Then the whole thing breaks down altogether and reverts to a close price from the day before or something along those lines.
Fidelity always reports the lower value during trading hours (bid when you have a long, ask when you have a short). I think their rationale is that that number is the number you can get right away and therefore shown.

They use "bid" value for calculating position values. Then at some point later, maybe 4-5 hours after market closes, they update values with something that's in between bid and ask

Fidelity always reports the lower value during trading hours (bid when you have a long, ask when you have a short). I think their rationale is that that number is the number you can get right away and therefore shown.

That's pretty common (Schwab is same for example) because the Market Maker largely determines the spread and the lower bid value that they will purchase on a 'market' order. The actual value of your option is around the midpoint of bid ask. If you sell-to-close or buy-to-open (call) always use a limit order that gravitates around the midpoint. You'll rarely need to do either at the spread limits. Depending on the volume at your strike, the preceding explanation is more accurate for higher volume, less so for low volume (and open interest)

Me: I'm selling.

Selling my house, that is. Need to raise cash to buy more TSLA.

OK, that's a poor joke. But I am selling! Need to buy/build something smaller. Anyone interested in one of Wickenburg's finest?
Alaska's not for sale. Well, of course...anything at the right price....
I have seen Audie's house in Wickenburg. It's a wonderful place. If I owned it I'd not be selling it!

I got to say that last night I didn't sleep well. I kept dreaming that TSLA went up from 278 to 286 and then went down to 269 or less. Most be the pessimistic post on this board yesterday.
So I couldn't resist but to get up at 6:12 am PST and checked the pre-market price. $292. Still cannot sleep!

Sleep is overrated, especially when celebrating good news!

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: madodel and TMSE
Status
Not open for further replies.