Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Q4 Earnings Report and Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused about the Q4 report. Did they say how many P85D's were delivered in Q4, and if so was the profit margin the same as S85s? Or were the all the P85Ds shipped in Jan. so its for Q1 '15.
No, Tesla didn't reveal what % of Q4 deliveries were P85Ds, nor what the margin on those cars is. There were a significant number of 'Ds delivered in December, based on reports on this forum.

Sorry if I missed it in the discussion, but would someone care to clarify the 1400 unable to be delivered in Q4 issue for me. These cars are presumably a part of the 9500 to be delivered in Q1, so it means they are only producing 8100 in Q1?

Sorry if I missed it in the discussion, but would someone care to clarify the 1400 unable to be delivered in Q4 issue for me. These cars are presumably a part of the 9500 to be delivered in Q1, so it means they are only producing 8100 in Q1?
More precisely, only 8,100 cars produced in Q1 will be delivered in Q1. It appears based on EU sales numbers that Tesla emptied the pipeline at the end of Q4, so there might be significant Q1 production (above the 8,100) that goes back into filling the international supply pipeline.

No, production will be 10k. They need to fill up their pipeline to Europe and Asia again. From the latest shareholder letter :

2014Q4 shareholder letter said:
First quarter production is expected to beabout 10,000 vehicles due to it being a shorter quarter than in Q4 and approximately a week of factory downtime to allow the
workforce to rest and tooling upgrades. Cars in transit to Europe and Asia must grow to support those markets, so we plan to
deliver approximately 9,500 vehicles in Q1

And remember, they somehow have to get to 55,000 vehicles sold by year end, although some of that will be from Model X. Now that Model X sales numbers have been baked into an official Tesla target, I feel much better about maybe actually receiving mine this year.

I realized another thing that makes the change in cash balance not as bad as it seems. Since they failed to deliver 1,400 cars they are considered finished goods inventory, right? So that is $140 million in cash burn that will only be $50 million next quarter and much more neutral the quarter after that. Further, they can get a warehouse line of credit off of inventory, right? I know a lot of the inventory is loaner cars. So if they target having about $1 billion in cash by the end of the year and spend $1.5 billion for CapEx this will be possible despite neutral cash flow. Then Q1 2016 with the X in full swing we should see strong positive cash flow for a while.

Anyway it has taken me some time but I see how they have a very reasonable plan with some buffer built in so if things go bad they should have enough resources to weather the storm without going back to the market to raise capital. Now if the stock price is high again I would bet they will raise capital as it is almost silly not to considering the staggering amounts of cash they will be spending and the excellent terms they would be able to get.

Of course who knows when the market will start to see this. We might be waiting for the Q1 2016 report before the stock moves much in any direction.

Roughly how much heavier would the MS be if made with steel, and how much range loss?

There's a video somewhere (It may be the "How it's Made- Dream Cars: Tesla Model S" I have on my DVR) with a shot of the aluminum chassis and a statement of it weighing just over 400 lbs. If that's accurate, I'd guess body panels might add another couple of hundred lbs?

Not sure what the same design rendered in steel would be. Aluminum is roughly 1/3rd the density of steel, but you may need more of it for a given strength. I've seen it said that he new F-150's are shaving ~700lbs off the weight of the truck by just using aluminum body panels...

Not sure what the same design rendered in steel would be. Aluminum is roughly 1/3rd the density of steel, but you may need more of it for a given strength. I've seen it said that he new F-150's are shaving ~700lbs off the weight of the truck by just using aluminum body panels...

The F-150 has had an aluminum hood since the late 90s. So not all the body panels have changed. So yes it's a pretty significant weight saving on body panels.

I don't think anyone has a real answer outside of Tesla, but I might be able to give a general impression.

For the 2002 generation A8, Audi went to Aluminum construction - and VW developed the Phaeton shortly thereafter on basically the same platform but with a steel body. For some reason I'm only seeing specs for the 2004 A8L online, with a three inch longer wheelbase than the Phaeton, which should give a slight advantage to the Phaeton, although their overall lengths are basically the same. Lots of minor variations in equipment, but it is probably the closest comparison you're going to find.

With the same 4.2L V8 and AWD powertrain, Edmunds says the 2004 A8L weighs 4399 lbs, and the 2004 Phaeton weighs 5194 lbs. So with cars that had somewhat lower crash requirements but were a little bit larger, the aluminum structure appears to have saved ~800 lbs
Walter
Really good reasoning here, thanks Walter. What was the price difference btw the A8L and phaeton, and what do you think the price difference would be if the MS was entirely steel?

Really good reasoning here, thanks Walter. What was the price difference btw the A8L and phaeton, and what do you think the price difference would be if the MS was entirely steel?

It looks like the difference in price between the two in 2004 was about $5k - but keep in mind, it is different brands as well as potentially different equipment:

2004 Audi A8L vs. BMW 745i, Jaguar XJ8, M-B S430, VW Phaeton - Comparison Tests

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2004-audi-a8l-vs-bmw-745i-jaguar-xj8-m-b-s430-vw-phaeton70000-luxury-sedans-2.pdf

I'm not going to speculate on the second question, because I really don't have enough information to do so intelligently.
Walter