Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ trade-in value at local BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tex -- I'm more amazed that you flip cars 4 or 5 times a year. I drove a bunch of different cars before the Model S and most of them were totally uninteresting (should mention that they were all hybrids -- have to keep my HOV access), and I couldn't imagine finding that many cars that would capture my attention.

In any event, you must have gotten one heck of a deal to make $2,000 on your Merc S. How did that happen?

Finally, I'm not surprised that the P85+ didn't return quite as much money as you hoped. I tend to agree with others here that the S85 is probably closer to the sweet spot on resale value since it's difficult to recoup the value of certain options, such as the + package.

I get bored of cars pretty quick. I always buy them closer to triple net (actual dealer cost NOT invoice) in order to not lose as much. The S550 I bought at 11 points off (12.25% is dealer triple net-cost) and invoice is 7%. Bought it at $109 sold it at $111K. So it's all about knowing how to buy high end cars (and working with dealers that I've bought plenty from).

Also, agree with your statement on S85, but I enjoy the higher end typically on cars.

Here are a few from the last 6 months (currently in 2015 RS7--which is amazing):

2015 R8
IMG_0139_zpsfbe20468.jpg

2015 S550
mb7_zpsac4a3584.jpg

2014 C7
photo_zps8c8daa90.jpg

I know why you sell so soon....all your cars are black...by the time all the swirls and scratches show up....I'd sell too ;)

LOL! Love black cars--they get washed once a week, just like any other color I would own, so take no extra effort. Polish, wax, good to go.

And actually my friends laugh, because it takes about 30-40 days for the real license plates to arrive, and THAT's when they know I'll be looking for something else :smile:

Tex,

What was the car that you owned the longest (once you started this frequent buying/selling program)?

Well, that would have to be answered in 'what model'. I bought three 911's (within 2 two years--991 2S, 991 4S and 997 2S). However didn't keep them long (maybe 2 months each). Went through the same with S5 (3 in 1.5 years). I tend to come back to cars that I like. Don't really own them for more than a few months. I have a $2500 bet with a friend that I can keep RS7 4 months...I think I will win that bet, as it ticks all the boxes for me (especially AWD and monster speed--real world tests are 3.2 sec 0-60).

Texex - I appreciate your posts (both perspectives as owner and former owner). Based on the small sample size above, it appears you do not purchase SUVs. Any chance you'll buy a Model X?

Um, actually have owned 2014 Range Rover, 2013 Range Rover, and 2014 Porsche Cayenne (all as second cars). Have found my sweet spot to be in a fast 4 door car, that gives me the room to carry things (sound familiar :wink:).

Heck I might even be persuaded before then, but reading some of these posts reminds me of the 'anti-anything else Tesla' some owners have...not cool at all.

I don't think I really saw anything like that in this thread, at least. A few owners asked about the RS7 and how it compares, and I know this owner has considered one after nearly going with an S7 over the Model S in the first place last year. I think maybe it's how hyperbolic your posts tend to be? For example:

Probably would not buy another one because of poor resale value.
and then a few posts later
once the AWD with longer range comes out, I'll be first in line.

And I think part of what surprised everyone was how little you got when the resale market was hot. I remember yours was one of the lowest, if not the lowest, we'd ever seen a P85+ sell for (especially in the condition yours was in). Waits were long, and at least around here, used Model S were listing for more than new. I may be mistaken, but didn't a member or two make higher offers after you announced what you were selling it for?

Certainly going to a wholesaler or dealer will cut into how much you get for your car substantially. You mentioned the tax advantages of trading in (in Texas, not all states have this awesome tax advantage) and certainly the OP needs to take that into account if they live in one of those state as that can be a HUGE benefit. Since you were moving and getting rid of all of your cars, why trade in to a dealer? You weren't getting the tax credit either way since you didn't buy a replacement car, right? Is there some other benefit? Maintaining a good relationship, perhaps. If you're serially buying cars, maybe the one "We got him this time!" secured years of deals for the future?

Um, actually have owned 2014 Range Rover, 2013 Range Rover, and 2014 Porsche Cayenne (all as second cars). Have found my sweet spot to be in a fast 4 door car, that gives me the room to carry things (sound familiar :wink:).

I would have guessed you owned SUVs and just have yet to post those. Please share your thoughts on the Model X when inevitably buy one. I am interested to hear your thoughts because the Model X will be my first SUV, and I will have no frame of reference for comparison.

I don't think I really saw anything like that in this thread, at least. A few owners asked about the RS7 and how it compares, and I know this owner has considered one after nearly going with an S7 over the Model S in the first place last year. I think maybe it's how hyperbolic your posts tend to be? For example:

and then a few posts later

And I think part of what surprised everyone was how little you got when the resale market was hot. I remember yours was one of the lowest, if not the lowest, we'd ever seen a P85+ sell for (especially in the condition yours was in). Waits were long, and at least around here, used Model S were listing for more than new. I may be mistaken, but didn't a member or two make higher offers after you announced what you were selling it for?

Certainly going to a wholesaler or dealer will cut into how much you get for your car substantially. You mentioned the tax advantages of trading in (in Texas, not all states have this awesome tax advantage) and certainly the OP needs to take that into account if they live in one of those state as that can be a HUGE benefit. Since you were moving and getting rid of all of your cars, why trade in to a dealer? You weren't getting the tax credit either way since you didn't buy a replacement car, right? Is there some other benefit? Maintaining a good relationship, perhaps. If you're serially buying cars, maybe the one "We got him this time!" secured years of deals for the future?

Thank you for the continued negative posts. Sounds like you're having a bad morning.

I would give pause to buy one again due to resale--sorry if that's too hard for you to understand.

HOWEVER, if AWD and larger battery were option, then I would probably give it consideration.

Not a crisis Gizzy...go enjoy your car.

I'm surprised you manage to take pictures of every car when you own them for such a short time. :) Sounds like a fun hobby.

Do you frequently manage to flip them for cost or a profit or was the S550 a rarity? Ever owned a McLaren/Ferrari/Lambo?

LOL! Really depends on the brand and what I buy them for--I will pass on a car if I cannot get close to dealer actual cost (requires effort and strong relationships--but my dealers love me for some reason :smile:)

I typically can lose a few grand here or there...nothing major like I did on P+. I tend to buy popular color combos and options, and get killer deals. Otherwise I'd be in the poor house pretty quick.

Thought about a Lambo and will probably get the V10 2016 R8 once it's been completely redesigned inside and out (since it's basically a Lambo--engine is same). Lambo is a car you can really take a bath on if not bought right.

Thank you for the continued negative posts. Sounds like you're having a bad morning.

I would give pause to buy one again due to resale--sorry if that's too hard for you to understand.

HOWEVER, if AWD and larger battery were option, then I would probably give it consideration.

Not a crisis Gizzy...go enjoy your car.
There was literally nothing in that entire post that was negative. Half was agreeing with your choice, and the other half was asking questions (which I'm still genuinely interested in the answers to, BTW). If someone was having a bad morning, it certainly wasn't me.

Edit: Added clarification about questions.

Last edited:
Geesh--I forgot how hostile (defensive) Tesla owners can get.

I was merely reporting on my experience (as a former owner). Is this forum for only current owners?

Good gosh, take a chill pill.

People can report their experiences here when asked a question (or so I thought).

Never said a bad thing about the car, just the resale.

Wow--unbelievable the tense nature some owners take.

I've experienced the same things... criticisms aren't received well here because there are some serious fanboys in this forum. Even from folks who don't even own the car yet.. And you're right about the high end stereo upgrade. It's better than without the upgrade, but those of us with a good ear can hear the difference in a high quality aftermarket or even high quality stock upgrade and what Tesla calls their "upgrade"

It isn't bad, it just isn't up to the "caliber" of the car or other cars in its class... same with the interior. Still love my Tesla, but these are just facts. Compare the actual components and they aren't to the same level. I've had aftermarket systems I spent $4k on that would absolutely destroy the tesla upgraded system...

I often wonder if the upgraded system isn't so hot because they're trying to keep it efficient power draw wise...

I've experienced the same things... criticisms aren't received well here because there are some serious fanboys in this forum. Even from folks who don't even own the car yet.. And you're right about the high end stereo upgrade. It's better than without the upgrade, but those of us with a good ear can hear the difference in a high quality aftermarket or even high quality stock upgrade and what Tesla calls their "upgrade"

It isn't bad, it just isn't up to the "caliber" of the car or other cars in its class... same with the interior. Still love my Tesla, but these are just facts. Compare the actual components and they aren't to the same level. I've had aftermarket systems I spent $4k on that would absolutely destroy the tesla upgraded system...

I often wonder if the upgraded system isn't so hot because they're trying to keep it efficient power draw wise...

Thank you for the honest and constructive feedback.

Regarding the stereo, I could not agree more. When you get into $100K+ cars, people want a great high end system (brands I mentioned before) and are more than happy to pay for it. Those merely defending the 'upgraded' system, and have never heard a real high end car stereo system, are only kidding themselves.

I've owned every high end brand, and the B&O and Burmester are nothing short of amazing. People say that's a waste of money to spend $5K on a stereo--I think there are plenty out there that would say the same of spending $100K on a car. We are not talking about marketing companies like Bose that produce terrible sound systems (no bass whatsoever).

Go to your local MB, Porsche or Audi dealer and listen to one of these systems (make sure it's set correctly) and it will be like going to listen to AM radio when you get back into Tesla. Okay, maybe 8 track, not AM :biggrin: I'm not joking. The Burmester 3D audio is like being in the middle of a symphony (or an AC/DC concert--depending upon music tastes)--absolutely mind blowing.

Then again there are several items (and to Tesla's defense--I'm sure they have it on their radar) that just seem common place today:
- AWD option
- Heads-up display
- Lane warned departure
- Adaptive cruise control
- Real high end stereo
- Comfortable sports seats with 12-14 or 18 way options and side bolsters
- Even night vision is popping up in MB and Audi's--albeit not as common as others listed.
These are to name a few.

Again, I'm sure they are working on it. They do continue to get better as new options come out.

Some of these things may impact future value as well.

Last edited: