Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S totaled. Fair value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the day after my birthday my 2013 Model S 85 was T-boned. The other driver is 100% at fault so at least I have that going for me.

I was just informed that my car is a total loss but I haven't gotten my offer yet. What should I be expecting?

Pertinent details
2013 Model S 85
102k mi
Tech package
Lifetime free supercharger
Lifetime cellular data
Upgraded to most recent processor with new screens.
Rare green color

Car was in absolutely mint condition. Recent ceramic coat

As this incident was unexpected I haven't been following the resale market, but it's not looking great.

The usual outlets seem to value it at 25-30k, but there aren't many comps.

I'm also trying to figure out how much the lifetime free superchargering is worth.

Thanks
K

I'm also trying to figure out how much the lifetime free superchargering is worth.

It seems to me that anyone (you, or an insurance company) could easily argue that the worth of that feature was set when tesla offered an incentive of X to give it up if you order a new car. I thought I remember reading that they did that recently :

Of course, there are those who would probably tell you "its priceless", and others "its worth almost nothing". Whenever "What is FUSC worth?" comes up, its always a debate with people arguing about it forever.

It seems to me that anyone (you, or an insurance company) could easily argue that the worth of that feature was set when tesla offered an incentive of X to give it up if you order a new car. I thought I remember reading that they did that recently :

Of course, there are those who would probably tell you "its priceless", and others "its worth almost nothing". Whenever "What is FUSC worth?" comes up, its always a debate with people arguing about it forever.
That link and the screenshot are amazing. Thanks a lot

Reactions: pilotSteve

It's worth a shot but I wouldn't necessarily say “easily argue” as the Tesla $5,000 trade-in credit is contingent on the purchase of another car. It’s not a "clean" (no contingency) valuation.

MCU is definitely no maintenance but upgrade. A good working MCU 1 (specially with the emmc chip replaced and lte modem) does not need to be replaced, unless you want to be able to watch Netflix and YT, so no, no maintenanc.

MCU is definitely no maintenance but upgrade. A good working MCU 1 (specially with the emmc chip replaced and lte modem) does not need to be replaced, unless you want to be able to watch Netflix and YT, so no, no maintenanc.
The MCU 2 particularly the replacement with the nicer screens made a big difference. I certainly consider it an upgrade.

It's worth a shot but I wouldn't necessarily say “easily argue” as the Tesla $5,000 trade-in credit is contingent on the purchase of another car. It’s not a "clean" (no contingency) valuation.
In the past they also refunded people $5k for just having FUSC removed from the Model 3 Performance that they owned, so not contingent on anything else.

Did you actually use the unlimited supercharging? Actual use might be another way to value it.

But most 2013 on the market have fusd, so the value is likely baked into the used car market.

Sucks to loose a green. They gave me a green overnight test drive car when we were first shopping for a car. Really liked it.

So the day after my birthday my 2013 Model S 85 was T-boned. The other driver is 100% at fault so at least I have that going for me.

I was just informed that my car is a total loss but I haven't gotten my offer yet. What should I be expecting?

Pertinent details
2013 Model S 85
102k mi
Tech package
Lifetime free supercharger
Lifetime cellular data
Upgraded to most recent processor with new screens.
Rare green color

Car was in absolutely mint condition. Recent ceramic coat

As this incident was unexpected I haven't been following the resale market, but it's not looking great.

The usual outlets seem to value it at 25-30k, but there aren't many comps.

Thanks
K
well it has been awhile, what did they pay? I am an insurance adjuster and Just bought an S, I can help you but assume you already cashed out

well it has been awhile, what did they pay? I am an insurance adjuster and Just bought an S, I can help you but assume you already cashed out
Help me while you wait on the OP please!! Lol.

2014 MS 60kw...131k miles, the same rare Green as the OP if that matters...Tech package, FUSC and Connectivity, jump seats. It's currently at the SC for an LDU replacement. I'm paying $8400 for this (it was as high as $9200, a comedy of errors has them doing the unthinkable in discounting some labor). I'm trying to figure out wether I want to sell it once the repair is done or roll the dice and hang on a bit longer. Knowing what it's REALLY worth in this nutty marketplace would help.......

Last edited:

Interestingly we finally just agreed on the amount. It took months of negotiations. In the end we got $26k which is as good as I was going to get.

In terms of negotiations the most important thing is to get the comparable work sheet (they have to give it to you) and make sure they give you credit for everything your car has. I was lucky as I had tons of pics showing the car was in pristine shape so I could argue the condition of the car effectively. They gave me 1k for the unlimited supercharging.

You need a lot of patience. The insurance companies are willing to play the long game. They know you are unlikely to have the reserves to afford a replacement without the settlement so you will take what you can get now. If you can keep chipping away you will get more and more but it takes time and effort. Bottom line it took me 3 months to get $8k extra. We still haven’t received the settlement check and the accident was in May.

Reactions: KJD