Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20000 new Tesla chargers at Hilton

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Tesla to Provide Hilton Hotels with 20,000 EV Chargers by 2025

Finally! Been my pet peeve for 10 years. Hotels are leaving heaps of money on the table by not installing destination charging.

2507972839_baa3cf1ae2_b.jpg

"Hilton Hotel - explosion" by Dirk DBQ is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note; Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I don't blame them for not wanting to pick a side yet, though. Now that NACS is largely becoming the de facto EV charging method we should start to see more and more of this as it will be more universal than it would have been previously.
Exactly. Especially for the destinations who wanted to charge money for charging it has been weird to decide to put up a J1772 station while 70% of customers are NACS. The other part is investment. A billable station cost thousands up to now. A billable TWC is $475. Much easier decision.

I don't blame them for not wanting to pick a side yet, though. Now that NACS is largely becoming the de facto EV charging method we should start to see more and more of this as it will be more universal than it would have been previously.

Not sure if it's going to be NACS or J1772.

"The McLean, Virginia-based company said it plans to have at least six wall-mounted chargers at selected hotels that will work with any electric vehicle model, beginning in 2024."

It’s probably going to be Destination Chargers, with NACS and they might have some NACS to J1772 or L2 adaptors. when they say “available to all EV owners” they can’t possibly mean NACS introduction with domestic OEM in mid-late 2024 and 2025. These are not going to be regular SC, with integration into Tesla status, availability, etc. IMO They will be listed as DC at specific properties. It’s a start. And since Tesla is apparently going to pay for it all, DC sound to be the most efficient choice.

See the previous post. It will be the new wall connectors that support both NACS and J1772 (a la magic dock for destination chargers).

Ok.. and not to be pedantic, but isn’t a Tesla Destination Charger simply a tesla wall charger, but installed at a DESTINATION. Making it available without historically any authorization or authentication required, unless required by the Destination owner (like a hotel, business, restaurant, etc?).? Aren’t they all by nature just Tesla WALL chargers of one version or another? I guess the latest Gen 3 WALL charger allows for charging fees, which would probably require the app in one way or another. Tesla owner, or non-owner alike.

In May of last year I stayed at a Hilton Garden Suites and to my surprise they had 2 L2 Tesla Wall Connectors available! Woo Hoo! That was a game changer. To be clear, there were a couple of SC's minutes away, but it was like they (Hilton) were saying "we're on board and we see the future like you do." In talking to the manager (and thanking her for having the connectors) she had hoped that there would be a few more installed at her location. She saw the benefits and the added value. She suggested that for example, Hilton Honors members could use the connectors at no charge while non-member guests would pay a nominal fee (to eliminate free-riders). Exactly how all of the logistics will enhance my stay we'll soon see but it certainly has changed my parameters when choosing a stop on the road. Smart move Hilton!
And yes, I stayed there this year too :)

If you go back to the original press release by Hilton, you will notice this passage.
With at least six chargers at each of the selected hotels, Hilton will become the first choice for the dramatically increasing number of travelers who drive electric vehicles.

Hilton to Install Up to 20,000 Tesla Universal Wall Connectors at 2,000 Hotels | Hilton News

Six is also the minimum number of connectors for Tesla to do billing for the site. For me I am OK if they charge a small fee to cover the electricity used. More likely to find an open charge stall that way.

With Hilton installing an average of 10 per site this will also help as EV's become more popular in the future.

I wonder how many Hilton Hotels are located in places that are far from a supercharger? It seems that the benefit of these chargers are somewhat limited if you can just spend 20 minutes at a supercharger nearby. It might be a little cheaper, but if you have to either move your car when you go to bed, or get up at 2 AM when your car finishes charging, the convenience goes right out the window!

Maybe larger Hilton's will provide a valet service to charge the car. But that will eat into any cost savings.

However, more chargers is better, though it would be nice to see more motels located in small towns and out-of-the-way locations provide destination chargers.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I wonder how many Hilton Hotels are located in places that are far from a supercharger? It seems that the benefit of these chargers are somewhat limited if you can just spend 20 minutes at a supercharger nearby. It might be a little cheaper, but if you have to either move your car when you go to bed, or get up at 2 AM when your car finishes charging, the convenience goes right out the window!

Maybe larger Hilton's will provide a valet service to charge the car. But that will eat into any cost savings.

However, more chargers is better, though it would be nice to see more motels located in small towns and out-of-the-way locations provide destination chargers.
The benefit for Hilton is EV owners will be more likely to choose Hilton.
It wasn’t that long ago chains started advertising free HBO to fill rooms, now it’s expected everywhere.
Free destination charging at motels could end up being a given like HBO

They would need to have idle time that allows overnight charging. Say something like 6 (8?) hours idle time for free.

I wonder how many Hilton Hotels are located in places that are far from a supercharger?
Probably quite a few, but it doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer to use it even if it was 5 minutes away from a Supercharger:
  1. For a simple overnight stop while on a long trip, I'd surely prefer to go directly to the hotel and get some rest versus spending a half hour at a Supercharger and then going to go check in.
  2. With a destination charger, I can get to 100% overnight, ready for the first leg of the morning, which is typically the longest of the day. If I used a Supercharger, I'd either need to stay a long time to get to 100%, or more likely I'd just charge to 80-90%, which would effectively shorten my first leg the next day (which again, is the one I'm most likely to be able to go the farthest if I didn't need to stop).
  3. For a multiple day stay where I am in the area and driving around for a few days, it's nice to be able to charge up to 100% the night before (so again, that first leg is optimized). To use a Supercharger instead, not only would that first stop be annoying first thing in the morning, but my battery would not be preconditioned, so it would be even slower.
  4. Not a huge deal to me because it's cheap either way, but it's likely to be much less expensive charging at the hotel.
I'm not overly worried about idle fees and what not. They will very quickly realize that idle fees do not make sense for a hotel stay. Granted, some hotels set up ChargePoints with idle fees, but they are quickly learning the consequences of that. All hotels I've stayed at with charging are not that stupid.