Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CRS NG-20 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: January 30
Launch Window: 12:07 PM EST (9:07 AM PST, 17:07 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida
Booster Recovery: RTLS
Booster Type: B1077.10
Orbit: ISS in LEO
Mass: TBD
Yearly Launch Number: 10

First Cygnus flight on a Falcon 9. Northrop Grumman acquired three flights from SpaceX while a replacement engine is developed for its Antares rocket. The flight is the 17th mission by Northrup Grumman conducted under the Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA.

10008137326_415b07e7f5_b.jpg

"SpaceX Falcon 9 1.1 Launch Sequence at Vandenberg AFB" by jurvetson is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
For anyone who didn't bother, watch this tracking shot from the Everyday Astronaut video. At the end of the reentry burn, you can see the booster flop onto its side to get as much cross-range distance as possible. Tim Dodd commented on the long boostback burn and then they did this aggressive RTLS maneuver. Cygnus is only 6.6 tons, so they weren't pushing the booster's basic performance, but I guess also getting an RTLS landing out of it was.

Reactions: scaesare
The NASA video is fantastic. Must see.
Hooray for the NASA tracking cameras! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a close up clear view of the final seconds before the booster finished its RTLS. And the angle the booster was at looked downright bizarre.

So what was this gas cloud? This is well after re-entry burn engine shutdown.

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

IMG_0593.jpeg

Landing burn.
IMG_0594.jpeg

Hooray for the NASA tracking cameras! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a close up clear view of the final seconds before the booster finished its RTLS. And the angle the booster was at looked downright bizarre.

So what was this gas cloud? This is well after re-entry burn engine shutdown.

View attachment 1013797

I watched that even a few times... As your screenshot shows, the entire engine area of the booster never seems obscured, and this shot, a few frames earlier seems to show a tiny puff on the top side (as the booster is oriented):

1706712182859.png

It's only there for 1 frame, then is gone for 2 more, then the large event seems to emanate from the same region, but interestingly also is visible on the sides... multiple vent locations?:

1706712293303.png

1706712323792.png

1706712360336.png

It also cuts off abruptly... which would seem to indicate a valve closure. I wonder if this is related to the relatively flat orientation of the booster...