Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Drive Unit Failure Within 8 Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I kind of posted this is another thread, but I wanted to create a new one for more awareness. My situation is extremely unfortunate, and I would love as much input as possible. I am also aware of Lemon Law, and might use this if another incident occurs. The attorney I am in contact with recommends to pursue action (not a full hearing but just to open a legal case) because my case is considered a Lemon, but I am a little hesitant.

Background info - I purchased my new Tesla Y the last week of August 2022. Therefore, my car is less than two month old. It only has 1200 miles on it.

Oct. 7, 2022 - (Luckily) My car was parked on the side of the road. I got a notification something along the lines of "acceleration reduce" or like "parking break disabled" or "limited speed and acceleration" - something along the line of those phrases. Therefore, I was unable to shift my car into drive. I called roadside assistance, and my car was picked up by a tow truck after two hours of waiting. Kind of annoying and minor, the Tesla person assisting me told me the two would come in 15 minutes. 15 minutes later, nothing. I messaged again, they said another half an hour. 30 mins later, nothing. So I waited a total of two hours. Kind of annoying, but whatever.

It goes into service, and Tesla notifies me that the rear drive unit is what caused my car to be unable to drive. My car is in service for a week, and they replace the drive unit.

Oct 14, 2022 - I pick up my car from Tesla service center

Oct. 15, 2022 (the next day after I pick up from service center) - I am driving on the I-5 (Sourthern California). There are five lanes on the freeway. I am located in the second to right lane (kind of in the middle). All of the sudden, I get the same notifications (as mentioned above) and my car goes from 70 mph to completely stopped in a matter of seconds. As my car is breaking down, it is shaking and rumbling. People are driving 70-80 mph all around me, so I basically cause a safety hazard in the middle of the highway. Luckily, I thought quick on my feet and called 911 immediately. I called roadside before, but there wasn't much they could do, but the policeman who helped me parked behind me (while in the middle of the freeway) just to kind of give me an ease of mind and help with this safety hazard.

As of now, my car is in the shop. I had to call a tow which cost almost $500, but Tesla claimed to compensate for the two fee. I have yet to hear back after sending them the invoice :(

I got a message through the app that the same issue (drive unit failed). I am assuming they are going to replace it. In another form, someone hypothesized the first DU may be because it was bad. It's possible they poorly installed it and that's why it failed again. But who really knows?

The fact that two failures happened within 8 days is terrible and just so annoying. Honestly, they gave me a loaner car both times, which was nice. They also gave me an uber voucher. But the fact remains is that they "serviced" my car and it broke down the next day. Now they are replacing drive unit that was replaced once already in the first place. Honestly, I feel a little anxious to be driving that car once it is done being serviced. This is so frustrating. I tried to email Tesla corporate email, but I highly doubt anything will be done about this.

My post is mainly to complain and express my frustration. Also, it is to warn people in case you may experience this as well. I dunno, I would love to hear what y'all think!

Having had 10 years experience with Tesla - most likely service goofed up the initial repair and now you’ll be ok. I also would have zero confidence in getting that 500 dollars reimbursed. That’s reason enough to get the lawyer involved depending on their fees.
And LOL with a lawyer recommending to pursue legal action. Did anyone expect otherwise?

Cars break down or have defects from factory, and that's why you pay for the warranty. Tesla service center experience could be great or worse or worst, which depends on location, employee, etc, just like anything in your life.
You shouldn't expect it to be perfect and problem free.

I would pursue lemon law return if possible. The odds are low the first unit failed because it was bad and the second because of a poor install. I think it’s more likely there is an issue with the electrical system and it’s causing issue with the drive unit. I expect you’ll have another drive unit failure at some point in the near future.

Very dangerous situation on I5

Reactions: TarmacSurfer
Cars break down or have defects from factory, and that's why you pay for the warranty. Tesla service center experience could be great or worse or worst, which depends on location, employee, etc, just like anything in your life.
You shouldn't expect it to be perfect and problem free.

you must have low standards if you think 2 failures in 8 days is reasonable

Two defective drive units seems unlikely and suggests a problem external to the replaced unit. They may need to expand their diagnostic efforts and not just accept the stock answer for the applicable error code(s).
Agree, this was my first reaction. The service technicians will just keep replacing drive units, but seems more likely some part upstream is responsible for the problem.

Reactions: RossRAllen
OP: I wouldn't waste any time with email communication. I would GO to the SC that did the work, and gently insist on some serious feedback from the service center mgmt.

1)Was the first failure actually a failed drive unit, or an assembly issue?

2)Was the second failure ANOTHER drive unit failure (highly unlikely) or yet ANOTHER assembly failure?

If they can't give you a clear answer, I would be concerned about the car. It's unacceptable to have TWO major drive unit failures, unless they can prove to you that the failure was simply a faulty harness or sloppy installation.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

It may be silly to think you would ever need to prepare for such a thing...but is there possibly some things to do or have on hand if a EV were to completely lock up and stop like that in a Very compromising position ? Possibly in the lanes of a fast busy roadway, in the dark, or even other fairly common poor places or situations that a EV that grinds stubbornly to a halt in second without enough warning to move to a safe position?

Read more than a few cases of that happening between hardware failures and fender benders, and the difference between a ICE and a EV when a car stops like that are enough to wonder why there is no manual way to disengage the locked up drive and have the ability to move/roll a stranded vehicle, when if safe, to a better position than in the middle of a busy roadway. And worse, for who knows how long until a special type of tow vehicle with all the required proper accessories to move a locked up EV arrives.

I have been in a few friends vehicles that have stopped on the road when young, never have I been unable to improve the situation, and think that would be terror to be on a freeway and not be able to gradually roll to the shoulder or off the main lanes of travel.

Reactions: RossRAllen
OP: I wouldn't waste any time with email communication. I would GO to the SC that did the work, and gently insist on some serious feedback from the service center mgmt.

1)Was the first failure actually a failed drive unit, or an assembly issue?

2)Was the second failure ANOTHER drive unit failure (highly unlikely) or yet ANOTHER assembly failure?

If they can't give you a clear answer, I would be concerned about the car. It's unacceptable to have TWO major drive unit failures, unless they can prove to you that the failure was simply a faulty harness or sloppy installation.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Why would you "gently" insist? This is a big deal! Be agressive. I posted about my one motor failure, as I am extremely upset. BTW, Tesla is reimbursing me for expenses related to not having my car. A loaner from them did not solve those problems.

"Gently" insist? In the vast majority of circumstances, a calm demeanor will return the result you're seeking. Be aggressive? Not in my experience, or...my miserable father's, whose embarrassing rants kept him from EVER getting what he wanted, or was entitled to.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Seems unfortunate that an AWD Model Y would be out-of-commission from the failure of a single drive unit. I would have hoped that the car would "downgrade" to using a single drive unit (either FWD or RWD) so that you could at least limp into a service center.

Unless the gearbox totally jammed up... but if that'd happened, I think your story would include some dramatic sounds/vibrations.

In general, I wish there was an option to "override" all safety warnings and force the car to allow you to keep driving... if it can (as opposed to if it "thinks it should").

Seems unfortunate that an AWD Model Y would be out-of-commission from the failure of a single drive unit. I would have hoped that the car would "downgrade" to using a single drive unit (either FWD or RWD) so that you could at least limp into a service center…
I agree. Tesla should do a detailed investigation on this one to determine the cause of these failures. May be ask them to keep the car at least a few days extra and do additional tests to make sure the new motor is getting the power it needs at the correct times. May be ask them to do a full diagnostic of the electrical system and multipoint inspection too.