Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New 2023 Performance Model Y Drive Unit Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same Situation here. Just 3 days after delivery(early Sep at Dublin, CA), my 23Model Y LR has a dead battery with only 85 miles driven. Now it's been in the Service center for almost 2 weeks and a battery replacement is in process. I think their QC procedure is poor, given a number of similar issues posted across this forum recently. I definitely want them to buy back the car, or give me a new Y. Not sure if the battery replacement record will impact the resale value.
While I will be the first to say that Tesla has room for improvement with their service overall, every car manufacturer has issues like this. Go on any forum and you will see horror stories about brand new BMWs, Fords, Chevys, etc. Bad engines, bad transmissions, electrical gremlins that can't be fixed, etc. It happens to every maker.

Give them a chance to fix the issue. If they can't after making several attempts, then invoke the lemon law.

While I will be the first to say that Tesla has room for improvement with their service overall, every car manufacturer has issues like this. Go on any forum and you will see horror stories about brand new BMWs, Fords, Chevys, etc. Bad engines, bad transmissions, electrical gremlins that can't be fixed, etc. It happens to every maker.

Give them a chance to fix the issue. If they can't after making several attempts, then invoke the lemon law.
Finally I got the car back with a battery replacement after 2 weeks in the shop.

Oh man, the restored happiness only last for another 3 days.

When I was on the freeway last night, couple alerts popped up: BMS_a036, vehicle may not restart! I was freaked out. I called the manager at the SC, and he said I need to bring the car back in asap, AGAIN! It’s really disappointing and frustrating. What a wonderful Tesla experience!!

• Disagree
Reactions: pipestem
Finally I got the car back with a battery replacement after 2 weeks in the shop.

Oh man, the restored happiness only last for another 3 days.

When I was on the freeway last night, couple alerts popped up: BMS_a036, vehicle may not restart! I was freaked out. I called the manager at the SC, and he said I need to bring the car back in asap, AGAIN! It’s really disappointing and frustrating. What a wonderful Tesla experience!!

That’s ridiculous.

Recently bought model Y (got it on August 1st 2023).
At Sep. 18, my model Y dead and the diagnosis was “rear drive unit is gone wasted”
I read here in the forum you posts regarding the manufacturer Repair and replacement of this part.
Why didn’t you insist to get a new car, if the problem was found so early …
I think that the company should take responsibility for a major problem like this part, and a consumer that bought a brand new car should get a brand new car if the first one finds with problems!
I did not bought a car with failure rear drive unit,
And I deserve a new one instead it.
Tell me what do you think.

Reactions: hollow23
Recently bought model Y (got it on August 1st 2023).
At Sep. 18, my model Y dead and the diagnosis was “rear drive unit is gone wasted”
I read here in the forum you posts regarding the manufacturer Repair and replacement of this part.
Why didn’t you insist to get a new car, if the problem was found so early …
I think that the company should take responsibility for a major problem like this part, and a consumer that bought a brand new car should get a brand new car if the first one finds with problems!
I did not bought a car with failure rear drive unit,
And I deserve a new one instead it.
Tell me what do you think.
What do you think a new car will give you that a new rear drive unit won't? I understand your frustration and hope that I never have to experience it, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect an entirely new car just because one component failed. If this were standard in the auto industry the price of cars would be significantly higher because they would be swapping out cars all the time because of this.

Obviously, if the car has continuing problems that they can't or won't fix then you can invoke the lemon law (in the US).