Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Thread: Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    Coffee and Cars again this weekend on 1-Mar-2014. I should be able to make it. 20% chance of rain so hopefully it will just stay cloudy. Not sure about space saving this month--we'll just try to park at our usual place, details in the 12/13 post above.
    I look forward to seeing you there. My Model S is filthy; so, I may park at HEB.
    VIN 13236, 85 kWh Battery, Performance Plus, Brown, 21" Grey Wheels, Tan Nappa Leather/Alacantara with Grey Piping, Carbon Fiber Décor Accents, Panoramic Roof, Tech Package, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, Parcel Shelf, Paint Armor, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, Tesla Motors Carbon Fiber Premium Center Console

Houston Coffee and Cars again this Saturday (April 5th). We'll try to park in the usual spot (details above in thread). Try to arrive by 6:30am if you want to have any chance of parking near us. It may be crowded because the weather looks to be good and they have an impressive lineup of cars coming including a Bugatti Veyron and a Maserati MC12RaceCar. Other details here:

https://www.facebook.com/coffeeandcars

One of the new rules is no revving your engine, so please respect this rule.

Any suggestions for a good electrician to install an 220v outlet here in Houston. Apologies if this has been discussed; I wasn't able to locate a local thread.

I did get one quote for $350 (NEMA 14-50) which would be right next to the electrical panel. He also said that there was a City of Houston permit/inspection fee on $300. So the total would be $650.

Is this consistent with what everyone is seeing/paying?

Thanks,
    Greg

P1937 Reward Excellence!
    I used Home Advisor and had a NEMA 14-50 installed for $150 with no other fees. Actually had a second one installed as well. Pricing is better if you approach it as adding and electrical outlet. Mention EV and their eyes get big.

Honestly, it's not too difficult to do it yourself if you can shut off power to the panel.
    Plug - $12
    Breaker - $13
    Wall box - $3
    Faceplate - $2
    5' of 6/3 wire - $13
    Add a drywall saw if you don't have one. Granted, I didn't pull any permits, and I technically should have used conduit since I wired to a subpanel (per code).

Wire up the plug first and get it mounted with your excess wire running into your breaker box. Measure it out, and wire the break to the plug. Then, shut off the power and connect the neutral and ground to the box. The breaker will snap in. Leave the breaker in the off position, and turn the power back on. Flip the breaker and measure your voltage. It should be 110v from either hot to ground or neutral. 220v is actually just two 110's out of phase.
    Tesla Roadster #334

@gregpet: I like Juan Medina at 281-530-6284. Husband and wife team, very neat, reasonable prices. I have also heard good things about Cheikh Gakou at Chams Electric (Gakoucheikh@yahoo.com, 832-659-3442).
    Last edited by stephenpace; 04-13-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Greg, we had a 14-50 installed at my sister's house in Bellaire and Cheikh Gakou did it for a lower price than what you were quoted.
    60 kWh | Green | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | Tech Package | Pano Roof | Supercharging | Parcel Shelf

Thanks for everyone's replies...So it doesn't sound like anyone else has come across this $300 "City of Houston permit & inspection"...

When I had my Blink charger installed at my previous residence, the charger was free, but they required the wiring to be installed by a licensed electrician and required a permit before they would install it. The electrician paid for the City of Houston Permit; so, I am not sure what the cost was for the permit.
    VIN 13236, 85 kWh Battery, Performance Plus, Brown, 21" Grey Wheels, Tan Nappa Leather/Alacantara with Grey Piping, Carbon Fiber Décor Accents, Panoramic Roof, Tech Package, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, Parcel Shelf, Paint Armor, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, Tesla Motors Carbon Fiber Premium Center Console

Thread Information