Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moderation policies are enabling trolling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
I have seen this scenario happen over the past several months, and I think it needs to be addressed. I don't want to single out any moderator, because I've seen this happen with several mods, and because I realize that moderators are limited in the time they can spend moderating threads.

Trolls often show up, post threads, and start to insult members of the community. Example: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/61957-At-what-point-will-Elon-Musk-face-a-margin-call (see post #6 for an example).

When trolls then go to other threads and attempt to cause trouble, forum members sometimes call them out for it, and moderators then warn forum members to stick to the issues rather than comment on the troll making the post.

The end result is that trolls can go about bullying people without fear of being called out, and that bystanders who should stand up to these people are shut down.

Perhaps people do not agree with me, but I do not believe in standing idly by while trolls denigrate people.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Some people just like to throw flames. My guess is that it helps them to feel superior or better about themselves. Unfortunate. But, IMO, it's mainly unfortunate for them, as they are the ones who are suffering so much as to feel the need to do it. To me, it's kind of like those who feel they must amass absurdly huge fortunes. Many are steeped in fear and unhappiness and feel their only salvation is to make a great fortune in order to feel OK or safe. I came from that culture and got away from it. Just about everybody I knew was miserable. I ain't rich by any stretch. But I am F-ing happy!

Don't get me wrong. I support having wealth. But how much is enough? To some, there is never enough.

I just ignore them and don't read the treads.

Oh, and BTW, I've done exceeding well betting on Tesla's stock going UP. Not down. I got the car because of it!

So there Tesla Basher!

If you see what you think is trolling, report the post so mods can evaluate and deal with it. Posting about it in thread just feeds the troll. Certainly don't get in a match tossing insults. A troll is better at walking the line and your responding is not helping. I just had to tell someone that many things come down to a judgement call, but threats of violence are a clear line that get you a timeout if not a ban. Don't feed the trolls.

If you see what you think is trolling, report the post so mods can evaluate and deal with it. Posting about it in thread just feeds the troll. Certainly don't get in a match tossing insults. A troll is better at walking the line and your responding is not helping. I just had to tell someone that many things come down to a judgement call, but threats of violence are a clear line that get you a timeout if not a ban. Don't feed the trolls.

Ok, thank you for your response. This is a tough issue.

I always try not to insult people back, because I believe that insults typically undermine the strength of one's arguments.

Very good point. Thanks.

Please Delete This Thread

A Moderator was kind enough to address my concern and I agree that it is needless to escalate this matter any further.

I am kindly asking for a moderator to please delete this thread.

Thank you for keeping this forum safe and respectful for sharing information.

Last edited:
If you look at the bottom left of the post, there are 2 icons, a star and a triangle with an exclamation point.
I believe when they said "report it" they were referring to the triangle with the exclamation point. That will flag the post to a moderator's attention so they can deal with it. You'll get a chance to explain in the message box when you submit it.

Probably better than airing the dirty laundry in public.

This. Report and let us handle it. Making this thread and quoting the post would fall under "escalating".

I understand and I apologize if posting this matter in Site Feedback was inappropriate.

I appreciate you addressing the concern and I agree with you and green1 in that I should have just left the matter in your hands to address.

Can you please delete this thread?