Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the Ludicrous upgrade window closed today is 6 months from Ludicrous announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
The ludicrous announcement was made on July 17, 2015. Elon said that existing P8D owners would have the option to upgrade for six months. Well the six months is now up but the upgrades have barely started, as we can see from threads on this forum.

So is the window now closed?

Why close the window when so very few have had the upgrade in the first place?

I'm considering the purchase of a P85D and the L upgrade is a major consideration; I would presume they'll post a deadline before it's just removed from the web store?

Let us hope.

Why close the window when so very few have had the upgrade in the first place?

I'm considering the purchase of a P85D and the L upgrade is a major consideration; I would presume they'll post a deadline before it's just removed from the web store?

Let us hope.

If you buy now, you're probably not eligible as they only consider P85D bought prior to the P90DL announcement as 'upgradable'...
The site states: "The LUDICROUS speed option will be available as a retrofit to all P85D customers with original vehicle orders placed before 11am PST Friday 7/17. "
i.e. if you buy today, you know something better exists so you can not get a discounted 'Ludicrous' and would need to buy the full P90DL!
Sorry. :-(

Should have been more clear. Only looking at used/inv/CPO P85D; anything ordered post-7/17/2015 isn't eligible for a Ludicrous upgrade, as stated on the web page.

Unless you have received clarification indicating that used / inventory / CPO cars are definitely eligible, I would not just assume that they are.

The exact language from the website is:

--
The LUDICROUS speed option will be available as a retrofit to all P85D customers with original vehicle orders placed before 11am PST Friday 7/17.
--

If you purchase a used, inventory, or CPO P85D that had been ordered before 7/17, the car might meet the requirements, but it's not clear that you would, because you would not be a "P85D customer with an original vehicle order placed before 7/17."

All I'm saying is if this is something you are counting on, I would get clarification, and if the answer is the one you are looking for, get it in writing.

I'm with Andy on that ^^^.

I wouldn't purchase a P85D used and assume that I could do the retrofit/upgrade. I'd want that in writing from Tesla.

On a related note - my bet is that Tesla wants to do the upgrades, close the process and move on. This is a pain in the a** for them and probably isn't very (if at all) profitable. We are being tossed a bone here and I for one appreciate it. But it won't last long.