Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Want Your Model X Sooner or Later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
I feel like Model X reservationists are now in a strange position. On the one hand, we are impatient because many of us have waited multiple years. On the other, from reading threads here and TM's forum, it is pretty obvious a lot of the early Model X deliveries are having to go back to the SC for a lot of readjustments. To Tesla Motors credit they are very pro active about making these adjustments and fixing them in way to avoid them in future batches. How long it will take them before these problems become a rarity is difficult to gage.

I used to be of the mind, "Bring it on, I'll take my Model X rough edges and all. I just want it." Now, that it is real and I have locked in the deposit with a 90D order, I would prefer to wait until they straighten things out. This is particularly true because going to a SC requires traveling almost 100 miles there and back twice if it isn't a fix they can do over the air or while I wait. Is there a way to slow my car from going into production to make sure these things are hammered out? Which direction do you find yourself leaning: more in the "I want it now camp" or the "I can wait a little longer one?"

PS I know this topic has been discussed as a part of some other threads, but thought it important enough to have a dedicated thread to it.

Last edited:
Comparing a European SIG Model S from September 2013 with a P85D from March 2015, I was extremely impressed with the progress made. The difference in quality, in build, all over was significant.

Waiting for an early European SIG X I am impatient, but I definitely do not want one of the first that comes from the Tilburg (re)assembly line...

Beta testing is no longer my hobby..

Just my 2 cents...

I would rather take my chances and get the Model X as soon as possible, it's not like 100% of the X's are flawed so there's a chance that you would get a perfect car. Also, some one has to test out these early production cars and if they are flawed it may take 1-2 weeks to fix them depending on the flaw, but it would take longer if you delayed a couple of months in hopes that they are no longer being produced without errors.

The X doesn't meet my needs so I'm not going to get one.

However, I was in a similar quandry with the S. I took an early one (#112). There were indeed some things that needed fixing - the sunroof, door handles, HVAC shroud, etc. Nothing that kept the car from doing what I needed it to do, but there were some corrections they needed to make.

For me, it was absolutely worth getting the car sooner - at the time, there was nothing else anywhere near it on the market, and we had a need for it. While it did need a few trips to the service center, Tesla makes things really easy; especially with loaners (and back then, they even had valet service). And since the issues were all addressed, the car has been awesome. (58k miles on it now). However, it is important to note that I lived near a service center. I can definitely see the calculus being different if you live farther away.

If you don't need the car right away, waiting is often good: you'll likely have fewer issues, and could get more features as well. But if you can use the car now, waiting is not always better: sometimes prices rise, options disappear, and many changes Tesla makes are to increase production and/or save money rather than improve the car. While on average the car improves over time, there can be changes that make it slide back as well.

Last edited:
The X doesn't meet my needs so I'm not going to get one.

However, I was in a similar quandry with the S. I took an early one (#112). There were indeed some things that needed fixing - the sunroof, door handles, HVAC shroud, etc. Nothing that kept the car from doing what I needed it to do, but there were some corrections they needed to make.

For me, it was absolutely worth getting the car sooner - at the time, there was nothing else anywhere near it on the market, and we had a need for it. While it did need a few trips to the service center, Tesla makes things really easy; especially with loaners (and back then, they even had valet service). However, it is important to note that I lived near a service center. I can definitely see the calculus being different if you live farther away.

If you don't need the car right away, waiting is often good: you'll likely have fewer issues, and could get more features as well. But if you can use the car now, waiting is not always better: sometimes prices rise, options disappear, and I suspect many changes Tesla makes are to increase production and save money rather than improve the car.

Chad, thanks for your perspective. Hearing these type of experiences does help me figure out how I want to proceed.

I feel like Model X reservationists are now in a strange position. On the one hand, we are impatient because many of us have waited multiple years. On the other, from reading threads here and TM's forum, it is pretty obvious a lot of the early Model X deliveries are having to go back to the SC for a lot of readjustments. To Tesla Motors credit they are very pro active about making these adjustments and fixing them in way to avoid them in future batches. How long it will take them before these problems become a rarity is difficult to gage.

I used to be of the mind, "Bring it on, I'll take my Model X rough edges and all. I just want it." Now, that it is real and I have locked in the deposit with a 90D order, I would prefer to wait until they straighten things out. This is particularly true because going to a SC requires traveling almost 100 miles there and back twice if it isn't a fix they can do over the air or while I wait. Is there a way to slow my car from going into production to make sure these things are hammered out? Which direction do you find yourself leaning: more in the "I want it now camp" or the "I can wait a little longer one?"

PS I know this topic has been discussed as a part of some other threads, but thought it important enough to have a dedicated thread to it.

Personally, now that we're into 2016, I'd rather wait for several reasons: Missed the 2015 tax credit, enduring winter without winterized parts (paint protection, all weather mats, 22" wheels, etc), early issue resolution, etc.

Sigh ..pretty sure I don't have a choice though. It is disheartening to learn of all of the issues early recipients are dealing with. I'm likely not one of the lucky one's getting a perfect car I'm sure.

I still haven't been able to see one in person so I don't know if I want it sooner or later (or at all)! Once I see one, if the cargo area fits my needs then I will probably want it sooner. If the cargo area isn't large enough, then I'll probably want it later (with 5 seats, hopefully folding). I'm not worried about quality issues as I know they will take care of those.

It is also possible I may just order an S instead.

Unfortunately, there still aren't any other long range AWD electric vehicles out there so I pretty much only have two choices.

I think 3 factors play a big role in this:

1. Do you need the vehicle now? If you have an expiring lease or something like that, then you're more likely to want the car right away even if it is imperfect.

2. Do you live close to a service center of far? If you live a hundred miles away from the nearest SC, then you're not likely to want to keep bringing it back to the SC

3. Do you trust Tesla to take care of the problems that arise properly? Or do you believe Tesla will act like a typical ICE giant and try to cover up problems?

for my situation: after 2+ years of delays, I dumped my leased car and just bought an ICE truck for now; I live 10 minutes from the SC; and I trust Tesla MUCH more than any ICE company to fix things. Ergo, I have the luxury of being able to wait and I also have the luxury of going back to the SC quickly any time I need.

I do not mind waiting, it has been 2 1/2 years so another 10 months is not a problem. I would like to have it this year, and realize the longer the wait the better the car will be. Everything depends on the ability of Tesla to ramp up production of the Model X, and although there has been lots of speculation I do not think anyone knows the actual numbers yet.

Personally, now that we're into 2016, I'd rather wait for several reasons: Missed the 2015 tax credit, enduring winter without winterized parts (paint protection, all weather mats, 22" wheels, etc), early issue resolution, etc.

Sigh ..pretty sure I don't have a choice though. It is disheartening to learn of all of the issues early recipients are dealing with. I'm likely not one of the lucky one's getting a perfect car I'm sure.

I may have missed it, what issues are people experiencing with their Xs?

My hope is because my Model X is not a signature, founder, or even performance flavor, Tesla is close to fully ramped up by the time they get to me. It would seem logical they would have to have at least the issues that send people to the SC resolved (for the most part) before fully ramping up. Otherwise, their SC's would get over run with the extra work. Do you think my hope is a reasonable/probable scenario?

I should also mention that I also do not need a "perfect" Model X, just one where the doors and seats operate properly and everything seals reasonably well. I think anyone throwing around the the word "perfect" is setting them self up for disappointment.

I want the car last year but the nearest service center is 4.5 hours away so waiting a bit longer to avoid having to go back right away is putting a little salve on the wound. When I get the car is independent of hatever preference or expectation I may have anyway.

I may have missed it, what issues are people experiencing with their Xs?

There are several complaints, in multiple threads, but from what I've followed the most concerning ones relate to 2nd row seat motors not always behaving/sticking, door handles not always responding, and possibly overly-sensitive FWD sensors and/or "stuck" FWD. I haven't read about issues with in-motion failures or major software failures. Lots of people have one-off issues but the overwhelming sentiment is that the X is awesome and even with issues people are thrilled to get them asap.

From my perspective, this will be our first EV so desperately wanted, I do live relatively close to a SC, and I do trust Tesla to fix everything - with large institutional investors like Fidelity recently piling into TSLA I do get more confident in this last point.

I WANT IT NOW! I reserved so long ago I almost forgot about the reservation so the first 3.25 years were easy, but the time since September has been absolute torture, even worse since my order confirmed a month ago (P90DL) and it's killing me just waiting until Monday to call for a status update!

Today was my confirm date, so it's really out of my hands. I'll get it when I do, and I am hopeful since it's a 90D that some issues will be worked out by then. However, my actual hope is that the issues are worked out already - I'd like everyone getting their cars now to have trouble free experiences.

When I ordered my S I was actually set on the Model X. The two years I had my S now I always told everyone, I would have gotten the X had it been available back then. I got my S in March 2014. Tesla had plenty of time to work out all the small issues, but surprisingly I still feel like I got a car that wasn't all the way matured. I'm not unhappy, but comparing it to newer ones I can certainly see and feel a difference. And that's why I'm in no rush to order a Model X. Maybe even wait for the time when Tesla makes it with all sensors for full self driving.

Frankly, after seeing the X now I'm not even sure I want it over my S. The smaller frunk and trunk space makes it less usable for me.