Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Autopilot does not enable - indication adequate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anybody else finds themselves drifting across the white line because they thought they'd enabled autopilot but only got TACC?

I wish that the failure to enable signal was higher up on the display, or larger. I just don't see it sometimes.

Or maybe, if you don't have either TACC or autosteer on, it shouldn't enable just TACC and leave autosteer off. Instead, not do either if you give a double-pull. If you only want TACC you can give a single pull.

I did this once.

I agree the failure could be signaled a little better. The beeping means you should notice even if you don't see the visual indicator, but the sound can be drowned out or just missed.

I think it's best for the driver to actively verify engagement of autopilot afterwards, by making sure the icon turns blue. But of course for a safety critical system like this, the car should anticipate drivers who don't take that much care.

I had it happen only once where I thought AP was enabled, but I noticed myself drifting over the lane.

For the most part, I feel it's adequate. It beeps at you and displayed a message. I guess a red steering wheel icon, instead of blue would help too, but o well..

Thank you for raising his issue. I believe that the problem comes from the sound issued by the car.

When engaging the autopilot, one hears the reassuring bong-bong sound. Unfortunately, the SAME bong-bong sound plays when the autopilot does NOT engage. There should be two different sounds, one reassuring and one warning, that play.

The situation now is quite dangerous...

Thank you for raising his issue. I believe that the problem comes from the sound issued by the car.

When engaging the autopilot, one hears the reassuring bong-bong sound. Unfortunately, the SAME bong-bong sound plays when the autopilot does NOT engage. There should be two different sounds, one reassuring and one warning, that play.

The situation now is quite dangerous...

I thought it was Bing bong vs. Bong bong?