Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Changes already implemented?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 85D yesterday (Yay!!) and am ecstatic. However, I think I noticed a change in the Auto Pilot feature.

When I drove from Cincinnati to Columbus in early November on a P90D loaner I used AP for ~50 miles on the highway and I don't think I ever touched the steering wheel. Last night, when I was coming home from pick and dinner I used AP on 275 around Cincinnati and heard a chime and saw a message on the car.

2015-12-01 18.06.18.jpg

After about 2-3 minutes of not holding the wheel, I heard a chime and that message appeared on the panel. "Hold steering wheel."

Thinking I could ignore it, I did so. After 10-15 seconds it chimed twice and displayed that message again. After another 10-15 seconds it started chiming continuously and the car started to slow down!

I repeated this 3x on the drive home just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

This DID NOT happen on the P90D.

For reference, my car says it has 2.7.106 software installed.

Anyone else notice this change?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I should note, that simply grabbing the steering wheel for a second or two would clear the message, stop the chime and would reset the 2-3 minute timer.

There is no time based nag on .106 for me. However there is a nag any time you enter a curve tighter than some specific radius (unknown what radius) as well as any time it loses confidence.
I've done trips where I had to grab the wheel every 30 seconds, and ones where I've gone 20 minutes without touching it. All depends on the road, the lighting, the angle of the sun, the cleanliness of the windshield, the traffic around, etc, etc.

Yes I am inferring a time based limit. The driving conditions were pretty good. It was dark but the lines were clear and lighting very visible.

Is everyone else on that same specific firmware version already

Once the "place hands on wheel" message is displayed, if you don't "place your hands" on the wheel, it'll start beeping again and again, and then slowing you down. That's not a time based nag, that's it reacting to you ignoring the initial warning.

A time based nag would be the car tells you to place hands on wheel every 10 minutes. And it does not do this.

I understand what a time based nag means. And I was assuming it had added that.

Ill check again after I get home in the day light.

Btw - how does it no when I touch / hold the wheel? Never figured that out?

There's a hidden camera watching your every move.

Just kidding, it senses the torque from the steering wheel. So you just need to nudge it a hair and the warning goes away.

It's a nag :/ I've driven for at least 2 hours without it nagging at all. You can ignore this warning if it's actually having trouble with the lines and goes away. But I've seen it display this warning when the lanes couldn't be clearer. And it started to slow down because I ignored it. Nags of this nature should be phased out.

On my recent road trip I got the nag a few times when I couldn't discern what AP was worried about, but usually it was pretty obvious. Truth to tell, it's all the same to me since I'm more comfortable resting at least one hand lightly on the wheel most of the time anyhow. (Though sometimes my touch is apparently light enough that the car can't tell I'm there and I get nagged anyway.)

Computer vision is extremely difficult and this stuff is still in very early stages. Just figuring out where the lanes are from a camera is still cutting-edge stuff. The lanes might be extremely clear to you but that doesn't necessarily mean they are to the computer. So far there's been no indication of any time-based nag. If one were added, you'd have to detect it by measuring a consistent fixed time between nags, not just nagging for what looks like clear lane markings.

You can ignore this warning if it's actually having trouble with the lines and goes away.

I've driven many miles with AP, and I was never once able to ignore this warning and for it to go away on it's own.

- - - Updated - - -

Computer vision is extremely difficult and this stuff is still in very early stages. Just figuring out where the lanes are from a camera is still cutting-edge stuff. The lanes might be extremely clear to you but that doesn't necessarily mean they are to the computer. So far there's been no indication of any time-based nag. If one were added, you'd have to detect it by measuring a consistent fixed time between nags, not just nagging for what looks like clear lane markings.

I wouldn't call it "cutting edge". Pretty sure the research dates back a decade at this point, if not at least 5 years.

I recently drove back my new 85D from Nebraska to LA. During that trip at one point it seemed that exactly every 3 mins the system asked me to hold the wheel. I actually called support and asked if this was a new nag system that had been put in place? I rarely experienced this on my P85D. He emphatically said that no such system was in place. Sure enough as my drive continued, and I guess road conditions for AP improved, I went 50mins without any sort of intervention at all.
Long story short, TMC has not put any nags in place, and i hope they never do!

I've driven many miles with AP, and I was never once able to ignore this warning and for it to go away on it's own.
That's by design. If it asks for attention, and you don't give it the attention, it now has serious concerns as to whether you are still there, awake, paying attention. At this point the only responsible choice is to continue the nag until you relieve this concern. This allows it to take action in a responsible way by slowing and stopping while still in control, instead of waiting for a time when it really doesn't know what the road does before trying to take action. I have no problem with this design decision. Though I do hope that over time the software gets better such that the initial occurrence requiring your attention becomes less frequent.

That's by design. If it asks for attention, and you don't give it the attention, it now has serious concerns as to whether you are still there, awake, paying attention. At this point the only responsible choice is to continue the nag until you relieve this concern. This allows it to take action in a responsible way by slowing and stopping while still in control, instead of waiting for a time when it really doesn't know what the road does before trying to take action. I have no problem with this design decision. Though I do hope that over time the software gets better such that the initial occurrence requiring your attention becomes less frequent.

I understand that, I was commenting to his comment that if you don't touch it, it used to stop nagging. I said I've never experienced that, and I don't think it does that.