Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Start a Tesla Model Y Section?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to decipher some of the info we have so far, but we know that Tesla trademarked Tesla Model Y to complete the model lineup as S-E-X-Y (now S-3-X-Y). Elon has tweeted the Model 3 or the Model Y will have falcon-wing doors (and subsequently deleted that tweet). And we know there's supposed to be a crossover version of the Model 3, which seems like it must be the Model Y.

Tesla Model Y Tesla Model 3 Prototypes In This Pic?

Time to create a Model Y section? Or should Model Y discussions just be rolled into the Model 3 section for now?

I'll save you the trouble of starting a whole new forum by providing the first page of threads:

When will the model Y be out?

Will it be on time?

What are the delays with the Model Y?

Is the model Y eating into Model 3/S/X sales?

How much will it be for the base?

Will the Model Y include Super Charging for base models?

There is no way the super charging network c

Will the Model Y get Falcon Wing Doors?

Is the Model Y for soccer moms?

Will the Model Y get ludicrous update?

Will the Model Y get a 100kWh pack?

Better economy/storage/seating/comfort/auto pilot/street cret/indie cred/ than the 3?

will I get the rebate on the Model Y ??

The Model Y is the roadster replacement (2 door performance car). It has falcon wing doors and is way cooler than a BMW i8. It's based on the Model 3 chassis. The Model 3x will be a crossover. How do I know? Elon told me so.

Elon tweeted that with the Falcons up on the new Model Y when you activate Maximum Plaid you will actually be able to take flight, thus heralding the onset of the Flying Car. In air super chargers (like how a jet refuels) based on the previous Snake Charger will be here within 2-3 years.

He deleted the tweet shortly after I read it though so I cant find it right now.

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51
The Model Y is the roadster replacement (2 door performance car). It has falcon wing doors and is way cooler than a BMW i8. It's based on the Model 3 chassis. The Model 3x will be a crossover. How do I know? Elon told me so.
Yes, I heard the same whisper. The roadster has to be part of the SXY adjective. I disagree with the rumor that Y is the small bother of X.

Last edited:
I'm personally not convinced there will be a crossover version of the 3/E. And if there is, it doesn't necessarily need it's own Model designation (can just be a variant of the 3/E if it's not radically different). I'm still betting the Model Y will be the next Roadster, this time custom designed by Tesla with supercharging and ludicrous performance, and the first Tesla properly suited for the race track.

Would also be nice to see a Tesla pickup truck some day, and if they are really adventurous, a motorcycle and a lawn tractor (that last one is for me! I hate my gas tractor). I'd be fine if the tractor didn't have Supercharger enabled. :p

• Funny
Reactions: plankeye
Would also be nice to see a Tesla pickup truck some day, and if they are really adventurous, a motorcycle and a lawn tractor (that last one is for me! I hate my gas tractor). I'd be fine if the tractor didn't have Supercharger enabled. :p
There are a lot of companies already doing electric motorcycles and mad safety ratings are hard to get when you have no structural cage surrounding you. There's no way Tesla will ever make an electric motorcycle, though I'd be really happy if some of the current makers would buy their batteries from Tesla once the Gigafactory is producing. Those bikes would likely benefit from improved range, and OMG, if they could use the Supercharger network, I think I'd be all over it.

I'll save you the trouble of starting a whole new forum by providing the first page of threads:

When will the model Y be out?

Will it be on time?

What are the delays with the Model Y?

Is the model Y eating into Model 3/S/X sales?

How much will it be for the base?

Will the Model Y include Super Charging for base models?

There is no way the super charging network c

Will the Model Y get Falcon Wing Doors?

Is the Model Y for soccer moms?

Will the Model Y get ludicrous update?

Will the Model Y get a 100kWh pack?

Better economy/storage/seating/comfort/auto pilot/street cret/indie cred/ than the 3?

will I get the rebate on the Model Y ??

Will the rear seats fold?

Well Zero Motorcycles has a fully electric bike that will get 185 miles city, 95 highway with the add-in second battery pack. With the second battery pack it maxes out at 15.3 kWh. They say it takes 2.8 hours for a full charge with their fastest technology, way too slow for a cross-country type of drive. With the higher density GF batteries, that could probably go up to at least 18 or 20 kWh, but still, without high-speed charging (50% in 20 minutes or less) it's useless for long distance.

I don't know if the size of the battery being 1/3 the size of the smallest Model S battery would be what limits it on supercharging. I would think that the on-board electronics (charger) required to interface with the supercharger would be prohibitively heavy for a motorcycle.

Last edited: