Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaVets cammo Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Fremont, CA and today a camo Tesla pulled up beside me and ahead. It was at the corner if Thornton Ave and Fremont Blvd at around 1:35 pm. I whipped out my cell phone and took pictures. Thinking is is one of the new Model 3's Was not a roadster, not an S or D, It had a rack on the top and did not look like the X. So thinking it is the Model 3 doing some real world driving. I was not able to see the front but it haqd the Tesla logo on the back with dealer plates.

Attachments

• 01ff81136c6504e4f82e351f4030e5db520c19bf63-001.jpg
    01ff81136c6504e4f82e351f4030e5db520c19bf63-001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,287
Last edited by a moderator:

Creepy. Then again what would one expect from a country where there are so many gun fetishists and where even small kids shoot their friends / family members on a seemingly semi-frequent basis (granted, it's usually by accident, but still troublesome). I just can't understand such adoration of the military. Seems more appropriate for countries like Russia etc. than for a modern and forward-thinking nation like the US.

Creepy. Then again what would one expect from a country where there are so many gun fetishists and where even small kids shoot their friends / family members on a seemingly semi-frequent basis (granted, it's usually by accident, but still troublesome). I just can't understand such adoration of the military. Seems more appropriate for countries like Russia etc. than for a modern and forward-thinking nation like the US.

It has nothing to do with gun fetishes or fanaticism. This was a tribute to veterans--you know the people who put their lives in danger to protect their country's freedom? No need to go on a rant about what you think US politicians actually use the military for.. I won't argue that we find ourselves in places we shouldn't be at times.

But the bottom line is that this was about the vets, not the guns or wars.

Model 3"?, Model x ?

From the article, quote: "Veterans Day is a big deal because it gives Americans a chance to pay homage to all the men and women in the military who protect this beautiful country. American automakers usually play their own part in commemorating this day and this year, California-based Tesla Motors is front and center with the unveiling of the one-off Model S P85 Veterans Edition. The special edition Model S Veterans Edition is the latest example of the automaker’s commitment to honoring the military and its veterans. It’s also proof that Tesla takes this responsibility very seriously."
So the car in question has manufacturer plates, meaning it is owned by Tesla, and Tesla did the special wrap on the car. I wonder who in Tesla had the idea to do this.

Send me to snippiness, I don't care at the moment, but HOW DARE YOU say, "I just can't understand such adoration of the military."

Two things:

First, nowhere does it say or display anything about guns or crime or shooting children. The camo design was done as a tribute to the military. This design was a way of honoring the brave and selfless men and women who have fought, suffered and/or died defending this great nation of ours. If you don't like the freedoms that the United States military has brought you, then by all means, go somewhere where flag burning or defaming the government is a crime. Personally, I like what we have here. But you relating the military to children shooting each other is beyond ridiculous.

Second, if you want to go on the anti-gun rant, you need to direct that somewhere else. The military doesn't give guns to children or to gangs or to spouses who kill each other. Don't blame the military for problems with society.

Me? I'm retired Air Force. I maintained the F-15 Eagle air superiority fighter aircraft which, when you think about it, is a flying weapon designed to kill. But I can say with absolute certainty that not one F-15 ever fell into the hands of a child, gang member, or local criminal.

Send me to snippiness, I don't care at the moment, but HOW DARE YOU say, "I just can't understand such adoration of the military."

Two things:

First, nowhere does it say or display anything about guns or crime or shooting children. The camo design was done as a tribute to the military. This design was a way of honoring the brave and selfless men and women who have fought, suffered and/or died defending this great nation of ours. If you don't like the freedoms that the United States military has brought you, then by all means, go somewhere where flag burning or defaming the government is a crime. Personally, I like what we have here. But you relating the military to children shooting each other is beyond ridiculous.

Second, if you want to go on the anti-gun rant, you need to direct that somewhere else. The military doesn't give guns to children or to gangs or to spouses who kill each other. Don't blame the military for problems with society.

Me? I'm retired Air Force. I maintained the F-15 Eagle air superiority fighter aircraft which, when you think about it, is a flying weapon designed to kill. But I can say with absolute certainty that not one F-15 ever fell into the hands of a child, gang member, or local criminal.
+1

I didn't serve, but I have relatives who did. I was a bit offended by AustinPowers' comments as well.

At the risk of also being relegated to snippiness, I probably don't need to point out that without the US military to thank, AustinPowers' life in Germany would probably be a tad different then it turned out.

+1

I didn't serve, but I have relatives who did. I was a bit offended by AustinPowers' comments as well.

At the risk of also being relegated to snippiness, I probably don't need to point out that without the US military to thank, AustinPowers' life in Germany would probably be a tad different then it turned out.

+100
From one born in the Soviet Union - now a naturalized US citizen, I will take the American way of life any day - including the 2nd amendment - over anything the commies had to offer or the post soviet Kleptocracy/Oligarchy!

I don't want to take this any further offtopic but I have to at least try and clarify my former statements:
First and foremost: to anyone who was offended personally by my remarks: a sincere sorry from my part. I didn't mean to offend anyone by my remarks.

But try to understand my position also. And before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusions: I did serve in the German military myself for the time I had to, so it is not like I haven't seen that side as well.

But what we over here see when we look at news about the US is many reports about shootings (quite a few times just this year alone), by sometimes even small kids who (hopefully by accident) shoot their brothers/sisters/friends, sometimes by lunatics on a killing spree like the one in the cinema where they showed that Batman movie, sometimes by racists, sometimes even by law enforcement officers. Even my friends/relatives who live in the US say they are increasingly worried by the rising amount of violence in the US helped by the wide proliferation of guns there. Hey, even some comments here on this very forum mentioned people trying to find solutions for storing guns/ammo in their Model S!

What I am trying to say is, worshipping one's military (basically soldiers who go killing people in other countries) in such an overt way is certainly, to any neutral person, strange in such a context. And I don't think I need to remind anyone that the American soldiers too commited quite a few atrocities during the last conflicts (Guantanamo, Abu-Ghuraib anyone, to name but two), besides of course doing many heroic deeds that Americans can indeed be very proud of.

And as you remind me of WWII, sure, had it not been for the Allies' efforts, our lives would certainly be quite different now. But perhaps it is especially those experiences the Germans faced in those days and the aftermath which has changed us in a way that we now see anything military very critical. After all, we (the after-WWII-generations) have been indoctrinated all our lives in school, the media, etc. that our parents/grandparents who were in the military were cruel, amoral, loyal to the wrong cause and basically simply bad people (or so it is implied all the time). So sorry, but I can't understand the American's attitude in that respect.

I honestly think there are people who deserve praise far more than soldiers. Nurses, midwives, doctors, caretakers in OAP homes, child daycare, etc. Basically people who really do invaluable service to their country, often for free, by taking care of those who can't take care for themselves.
Hate me for that position if you like, but I stand by my values.

First, gun rights discussions and military discussions are totally unrelated. To combine them shows a serious lack of understanding of what you are talking about.

Second, you are woefully uninformed about guns and gun statistics. This is not the proper discussion place for such things but if you would like to discuss feel free to pm me and I will be happy to elaborate on where you are factually confused.

But what we over here see when we look at news about the US is many reports about shootings (quite a few times just this year alone), by sometimes even small kids who (hopefully by accident) shoot their brothers/sisters/friends, sometimes by lunatics on a killing spree like the one in the cinema where they showed that Batman movie, sometimes by racists, sometimes even by law enforcement officers. Even my friends/relatives who live in the US say they are increasingly worried by the rising amount of violence in the US helped by the wide proliferation of guns there.

You're absolutely right -- there are far too many people with illegal weapons at their disposal, and the things they do with those weapons is often quite horrific. But that's not because of the military. And the reports of horrific acts that occur throughout the US are the ones worthy of international attention. It's the worst of everything that makes the news. News stations look for the shock factor that gets the ratings -- reporting on all the good in the world just doesn't cut it. Blame the media, not the military.

I honestly think there are people who deserve praise far more than soldiers. Nurses, midwives, doctors, caretakers in OAP homes, child daycare, etc. Basically people who really do invaluable service to their country, often for free, by taking care of those who can't take care for themselves.

Doctors, nurses, all the aid workers who selflessly help others certainly do deserve praise, as do the police officers and firemen who put their lives in harm's way each and every day. But that shouldn't take away from the hundreds of thousands of men and women who were pointed to a beach or a village and told to hold it, then lost their lives in the process. Are there accidents, tragedies, and atrocities committed by some in uniform? Sure, but that's typically the exception, not the rule. Please don't judge the military as a whole because of it.

Absolutely you are entitled to your own opinion. But in this day and age it's easy to forget that what we have today is the direct result of courage, commitment, and shattered lives of men and women who set out to do good with a huge sense of patriotic pride.

Tesla is hugely committed to supporting veterans. Cool camo cars should be reminders of sacrifice and patriotism, not as symbols of violence.

</end_rant>

- - - Updated - - -

By-the-way, I think this is an awesome thing Tesla did (in case anyone had any doubts).

Camo_Model_S.JPG

Thanks, flwrman, for sharing the image -- I hadn't see that before. Way cool!

Don't want to go more OT - but this "how dare you" is exactly opposite of the values of the country the military is tasked to protect. We shouldn't try to silence people by threatening them. Besides, OP is not from the US. Let us take a step back - would you understand adoration of the military in Pakistan or some other country ?

Don't want to go more OT - but this "how dare you" is exactly opposite of the values of the country the military is tasked to protect. We shouldn't try to silence people by threatening them. Besides, OP is not from the US. Let us take a step back - would you understand adoration of the military in Pakistan or some other country ?
I agree, but I was angry and upset with the comments and I felt personally offended, as I'm sure you've noticed. That being said, I've since taken a step back and wish I could have worded that much differently. I admit I acted hastily.

Also, I saw the "Frankfurt (Main)" location and I was thinking initially that it was Maine, US, which is a very different perspective than Frankfurt, Germany. How folks in other parts of the world view their military is not at all in line [necessarily] with how I expect Americans to view the US military. We've been fighting for 200+ years to obtain our freedoms, while circumstances in other countries are completely different.

But all in all, I don't think that showing respect for the military (Tesla's camo Model S) in any way implies adoration of the military. But I don't want to go there again... Let's just say, "Wow, that's not something you see every day!" and leave it at that.