Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my S60 this week and today was my first drive into work, and WOW. I have a very long commute that is generally and hour and twenty minutes in basically stop and go traffic each way.

Firstly, the one-pedal driving experience is perfect for creeping along on the congested LA freeways. I only had to touch the brake a handful of times.
Secondly, the seats are VERY comfortable. Great lumbar support and very customizable.
Finally, whatever qualms I had with getting the 60 kwh are gone already. I was able to keep my wh/hr around 286 and exceed my rated range. I used 11.4 kWh in 42.5 miles, that would yield a projected range of about 223. That was even with using the instant torque in some situations to overtake slow cars. Once you learn HOW these cars drive and use energy, you should be able to achieve your rated range in most circumstances.

Here's to many more daily commutes!

So I picked up my S60 this week and today was my first drive into work, and WOW. I have a very long commute that is generally and hour and twenty minutes in basically stop and go traffic each way.

Firstly, the one-pedal driving experience is perfect for creeping along on the congested LA freeways. I only had to touch the brake a handful of times.
Secondly, the seats are VERY comfortable. Great lumbar support and very customizable.
Finally, whatever qualms I had with getting the 60 kwh are gone already. I was able to keep my wh/hr around 286 and exceed my rated range. I used 11.4 kWh in 42.5 miles, that would yield a projected range of about 223. That was even with using the instant torque in some situations to overtake slow cars. Once you learn HOW these cars drive and use energy, you should be able to achieve your rated range in most circumstances.

Here's to many more daily commutes!

Congrats on your new Tesla purchase.

Did you purchase the Tech Package that allows the upgrades towards Autopilot Mode.

For a car as high tech as the Tesla Model S, I would assume that the small cost of the tech package compared to the overall cost of the car would be a must have accessory.

You mentioned the "one pedal" driving experience. With TACC active, you would have called it a "no pedal" driving experience.

I have had my fair share of peak hour travel to and from work on Sydneys Motorways and Highways and the thought that I could be chauffeur driven to work by the car (from the drivers seat) sounds very appealing

In any case, Happy Motoring

Thanks!

Yes, I did purchase the tech package with all the Autopilot hardware. I'm easing into using TACC just because initially it's such a surreal experience. I used it this morning for a few miles and I'm falling in love already! My wife is terrified of it, but I'm all about having my car drive chauffeur me to work.

I absolutely love the TACC!!! I now use it all the time. Once I got over the harrowing experience of the car zeroing in on the car in front of me, but stopping perfectly, I realized that this just might be the way to go. I have noticed that it uses the brakes much more than I would, using regen. So I expect there will be more brake wear. Using regen and one-pedal driving uses almost no braking at all. But I love that I never have to do the 1-2 creep/brake in traffic anymore. And once they release the SW update allowing it to steer autonomously, I think I'll just bring a blanket and a pillow and nap all the way to work :redface:!

I absolutely love the TACC!!! I now use it all the time. Once I got over the harrowing experience of the car zeroing in on the car in front of me, but stopping perfectly, I realized that this just might be the way to go. I have noticed that it uses the brakes much more than I would, using regen. So I expect there will be more brake wear. Using regen and one-pedal driving uses almost no braking at all. But I love that I never have to do the 1-2 creep/brake in traffic anymore. And once they release the SW update allowing it to steer autonomously, I think I'll just bring a blanket and a pillow and nap all the way to work :redface:!

I agree that TACC seems a little off when the guy in front stops. It waits too long to slow down and then jams on the brakes. If it could predict, as human can, that there's a stop sign ahead it could do a much better job. And now that I think of it, if it can read speed limit signs it can at least theoretically read stop signs, too. But don't take this as a complaint. I think TACC is brilliant especially considering this is version 1.0. I'm sure it will improve in the future...

I agree that TACC seems a little off when the guy in front stops. It waits too long to slow down and then jams on the brakes. If it could predict, as human can, that there's a stop sign ahead it could do a much better job. And now that I think of it, if it can read speed limit signs it can at least theoretically read stop signs, too. But don't take this as a complaint. I think TACC is brilliant especially considering this is version 1.0. I'm sure it will improve in the future...

Increase the following distance and the car does a better job using regen. But then you risk people sliding in front of you when they see the gap.

Yeah, I noticed that. Maybe I'll try to find a happy medium.

Another mini-bug (or missing feature?) is that if you're behind someone approaching a stop sign TACC will stop behind him OK but then if there's no crossing traffic and he starts up again immediately TACC will immediately follow. You have to use the brakes to make your stop at the sign and then resume TACC. But I suppose that's really asking too much. TACC is really for freeways, not city traffic. For now anyway :)

Another mini-bug (or missing feature?) is that if you're behind someone approaching a stop sign TACC will stop behind him OK but then if there's no crossing traffic and he starts up again immediately TACC will immediately follow. You have to use the brakes to make your stop at the sign and then resume TACC. But I suppose that's really asking too much. TACC is really for freeways, not city traffic. For now anyway :)

The current sensor package has no way to see cross-traffic, so it's never going to be able to handle stop signs with complete autonomy. I suppose they could semi-automate it - have the car under Autopilot recognize the stop sign and pull up to it and stop, then display some sort of message on the screen like "check for cross traffic, then press accelerator to resume Autopilot."

Depending on what they did with wiring, etc, it might be possible to retrofit side looking cameras/radar into the current cars, too - but I wouldn't assume that they'll ever get a fully autonomous system.
Walter

Yep - this is a tough one to "fix". I think it is setup the way it is to accommodate stop and go traffic on a crowded freeway or interstate. My previous Audi A7 with ACC would not resume once it came to a complete stop - you had to tap on the accelerator or hit resume. In stop and go traffic rush hour traffic I found it annoying to have to constantly hit the accelerator after coming to a very brief stop and prefer the way Tesla has implemented the system.

Having said that, one needs to be on top of the Tesla system when using on side roads where a vehicle may come to a stop ahead of you at a four way stop sign, then proceed through and you need to come to a stop at the intersection. I agree that its main function is for use on open highway.