Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First freezing cold snow driving observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick observation on battery range during my first experience in driving in weather that is less than optimal. 2023 M3 Standard Range.
Temps have been lows of 15* and highs 25* for the last 3 days and VERY windy. Two days in a row we had snow covered slick roads, limiting my speeds to under 50mph.
I may have been able to driver faster, however I am learning this car and don't want to push my luck.
Typically I use 20% of my battery charge each way to and from work, getting home with 58 to 60% SOC left respectively.
In the last three days, I am using 24% to 25% each way. Getting home with 50% SOC.
I've been pleasantly surprised. After reading here and other places on line, I expected the battery to take a dump and need to charge before heading home.

Just a quick observation on battery range during my first experience in driving in weather that is less than optimal. 2023 M3 Standard Range.
Temps have been lows of 15* and highs 25* for the last 3 days and VERY windy. Two days in a row we had snow covered slick roads, limiting my speeds to under 50mph.
I may have been able to driver faster, however I am learning this car and don't want to push my luck.
Typically I use 20% of my battery charge each way to and from work, getting home with 58 to 60% SOC left respectively.
In the last three days, I am using 24% to 25% each way. Getting home with 50% SOC.
I've been pleasantly surprised. After reading here and other places on line, I expected the battery to take a dump and need to charge before heading home.
That mirrors my experience driving in cold and snowy conditions in south-central BC last year. My RWD M3 also handled very well in the snow, even with the stock ASR tires.

That mirrors my experience driving in cold and snowy conditions in south-central BC last year. My RWD M3 also handled very well in the snow, even with the stock ASR tires.
Same. Since it was my first time on these type roads with this car, I tried to make it drift a little to get a feel. I was only going 30 or 40 on the road I live on. What I noticed is that as soon as you let up, its snaps back inline instead of wanting to swing around like a pendulum.
It was very solid to the road, I can only imagine how it feels with snowtires!

Reactions: DuncanM
For anyone wondering about cold weather efficiency...set the cruise control at 73mph. I've also attached the route.

Specs, 2023 M3P on 235/45/18 sottozero winter tires.

IMG_20240112_071946.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-13-11-34-46-86_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and DuncanM
Wow just testing model Y long range on -12deg.Celsius.
Lol 180 km = 62% used at 110- 120km/h highway driving.

Looks like 10% =30 km @ temp -12 *C and inside heat 19 deg ,set on AUTO HEAT.

It should be 10% = 50km

So real range on model Y LR is 300 km only on winter time.

Very strange ,how cold weather affected battery range.

All due to battery behavior in the cold, lower air pressure in tires from cold temps, using the heater while driving. Also while parked, system will use the heat pump to keep to keep the battery warm. I lost 10 miles just over night in 5 degF temps. Overall during winter the car will be off anywhere from 32-35% less mileage and spring/fall will be better than rated and summer will be slightly worse due to use of AC

thank you for good news chan man.
i was starting to consider to sell my model y ,but now after your input definitely not.
model y is working horse and its so good -but range .
so will wait one more month and start enjoying real range spring range.....

next i will to see if i can change oil in both drive units TESLA YLR front and rear and filters too

old habit from model s when we changed oil in drive unit DEXTRON 6 .

CHEERS😁😁

5yrs of data points on Stats. At 10°f, I suppose the dashed line says I'm around 90%, but I don't think the best-fit line should be linear. Just eyeballing the points, I'd say 10°f should be around 75% efficiency, though the range of dots says I'm between 70% and 85%.
IMG_6418.jpeg

Reactions: chan_man
Wow just testing model Y long range on -12deg.Celsius.
Lol 180 km = 62% used at 110- 120km/h highway driving.

Looks like 10% =30 km @ temp -12 *C and inside heat 19 deg ,set on AUTO HEAT.

It should be 10% = 50km

So real range on model Y LR is 300 km only on winter time.

Very strange ,how cold weather affected battery range.
Did you precondition the cabin and battery whilst the car was plugged in at home?

These inexpensive internal reflective roof covers seem to help my M3 in the summer AND winter by greatly reducing cooling/heating losses:

https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-2019-2023-Windshield-Accessories-Reflective/dp/B0BXSBS2Q8 (example - there's lots of others)