Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing between two models, taking into account range and charging habit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

This is my first post/thread on this forum. I tried to research the answers to my question by using the search button but sadly I am at a loss.

I'm currently looking to buy a second hand Tesla model 3. The choice I need to make is choosing between a 2021 SR+ with heatpump or a 2019 LR AWD. To answer this question I'm trying to figure out two things.

- Is opting for the heat pump worth losing the extra range?
- Is it better to charge every three days with available solar energy or is daily charging healthier for the battery. (My current worksituation allows me to charge during the day at my home on solar energy every 3 days, commute takes 100 km so 300 km range needed between charges). The size of my solar installation was calculated without the charging of an EV in mind but I have a very efficient home and am confident charging will be possible.

I would gladly read any of your valuable information, opinions or experiences. Anything that will help me make a informed decision!!

You should easily be able to tell if your solar system has enough excess capacity to charge your car. My impression is that it will NOT.

300km is 186 miles. That 186 miles you want to recharge will be 186 times 333 wh/mi(roughly, after all vampire losses and such), or 62kwh. Does your current solar system put out 20kwh per day more than your home uses? Do you have enough battery storage so that your car can charge during the night? 62kwh is probably more than a full SR+ battery. Do you have a power conversion system stout enough to handle your home loads at the same time you are feeding 8kw into the Tesla for eight solid hours(overnight)?

I'd go for the LR AWD. I don't think the SR+ will have the range for three days of commuting.

I don't have a heat pump model, so I can't answer the choice question. All I know, is I'm quite satisfied with my 2018 LR-AWD.

Charging every day is better, in general, as 3 shallow discharges is better than one deep discharge, but the individual difference can be quite minor. I'd do whatever is most convenient for you. Naturally if you can charge on solar every 3rd day that would be ideal. But, can you drive a SR+ for 186 miles in Winter? If you got the SR+, maybe you'd have to charge every other day in Winter; while if you got the LR-AWD, you could charge every 3rd on solar.

Reactions: APotatoGod
All else being equal, I'd probably lean towards the slightly older AWD model over the SR+. But it's unlikely "all else" is equal.

Which means the choice for me would probably turn on overall condition of the two vehicles, how many kilometers each has on it, and - most importantly - what the battery health of each is.

I'm confident that the newer M3 SR+ with the heat pump won't save enough energy to give you more range than the LR, even in very cold weather.

It really doesn't matter to the battery whether you charge every three days, or every day, although if in order to make it three days, you are charging it to a high level (>90%), then THAT could make a difference.

In general, I recommend lowering the charge level and charging every day over waiting multiple days between charges. It's easier for the user, and gives you flexibility. For example, let's say you charge to 55% to do your daily commute and errands. Let's say you discover at 10PM that you need to drive a longer distance the next day. If it's already plugged in, you just pull out your phone and adjust the charge level. If it's not plugged in, you have go plug it in, THEN change the charge level.

If it's in an attached garage, then you may say, no big deal, but if you have to go outside, especially in bad weather, you may care more.

Reactions: ewoodrick
It looks like you have (or can estimate) all the numbers needed to calculate the expected cost for each of the cars.

For example, estimate the range for each of the cars based on expected degradation, heat pump use, etc. Calculate how miles of range you can get from an average day from your solar generator. Plug it all in to a spreadsheet and get the annual charging cost for each car. Adjust your assumptions.

Sounds like a fun project.

Hello everyone.

This is my first post/thread on this forum. I tried to research the answers to my question by using the search button but sadly I am at a loss.

I'm currently looking to buy a second hand Tesla model 3. The choice I need to make is choosing between a 2021 SR+ with heatpump or a 2019 LR AWD. To answer this question I'm trying to figure out two things.

- Is opting for the heat pump worth losing the extra range?
- Is it better to charge every three days with available solar energy or is daily charging healthier for the battery. (My current worksituation allows me to charge during the day at my home on solar energy every 3 days, commute takes 100 km so 300 km range needed between charges). The size of my solar installation was calculated without the charging of an EV in mind but I have a very efficient home and am confident charging will be possible.

I would gladly read any of your valuable information, opinions or experiences. Anything that will help me make a informed decision!!
Does the 2021 SR+ have an LFP HV battery? The LFP battery can be charged to 100% daily vs a recommended 80% for the 2019LR. This means that the difference in range may be minimal on a day to day basis. The 2021 should be more efficient and it may have some remaining warranty. and if so, is the better buy.

Reactions: ewoodrick