Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving without seatbelt.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024 model 3. Driving into my commuter lot for the first time this morning. It is very dark and very crowded. I always pop off my belt while parking to be able to turn around with my big winter coat on and see behind me as I back into the tiny spaces. Going 15 MPH in drive I popped it off. Chimed for 15 seconds and stopped. All cool.
Pulled forward to my spot and when I shifted to reverse it let me back up about 3 feet then abruptly slammed me into park. No chime. I put it back in reverse and it let me go about 6 inches and slammed in park again. And again one more time before i realized the seatbelt light was blinking. I clipped in and finished parking.

Is this somthing that can be turned off?
I get it, theres lots of cameras but I am not that old and I still always look behind me with my eyeballs when reversing.
I do not advise these, but its better than the car not allowing me to move

Eh didnt work .. butt firmly planted in seat and still couldnt reverse more than 1 foot without the car slamming into park.
Sure the driveway thing is nitpicking.
But my commuter lot is crazy busy and dark at 5am and not being able to unbuckle and look behind me is annoying as hell.
Like today a car was backing into the spot behind me at the same time, rear to rear... and a line of cars waiting to pass me as I am backing in.
I unclipped to turn around to look with my eyes and then BAM, the car just stops.

@V8s2Vzero Could your driver's seat occupancy sensor be broken? Ours broke once. I never experienced this issue but there were other symptoms from it (e.g. display turning off upon closing driver's door after entering the car).

Try this experiment: Before actually parking in the parking spot, put the car in Park, exit the car, close the car door, then get back in WITHOUT buckling your seatbelt. Drive into the parking spot using any combo of forward+reverse as needed, while still unbuckled. Do you run into the problem in this case?

I often do exactly what I just described in that experiment, in order to open a garage door where I don't have a remote, and the car has never unexpectedly thrown itself into Park while backing up or going forwards.

But what I probably haven't ever tried is unbuckling and then immediately continuing to drive/reverse in the way you described. I agree with others here - just use the backup cam alongside your mirrors. The backup cam gives vastly better visibility for parking these cars than looking out the back window!

Eh didnt work .. butt firmly planted in seat and still couldnt reverse more than 1 foot without the car slamming into park.
Sure the driveway thing is nitpicking.
But my commuter lot is crazy busy and dark at 5am and not being able to unbuckle and look behind me is annoying as hell.
Like today a car was backing into the spot behind me at the same time, rear to rear... and a line of cars waiting to pass me as I am backing in.
I unclipped to turn around to look with my eyes and then BAM, the car just stops.
Not having the seatbelt in doesn't slam your brakes.

Reactions: WyoDude
@V8s2Vzero Could your driver's seat occupancy sensor be broken? Ours broke once. I never experienced this issue but there were other symptoms from it (e.g. display turning off upon closing driver's door after entering the car).

Try this experiment: Before actually parking in the parking spot, put the car in Park, exit the car, close the car door, then get back in WITHOUT buckling your seatbelt. Drive into the parking spot using any combo of forward+reverse as needed, while still unbuckled. Do you run into the problem in this case?

I often do exactly what I just described in that experiment, in order to open a garage door where I don't have a remote, and the car has never unexpectedly thrown itself into Park while backing up or going forwards.

But what I probably haven't ever tried is unbuckling and then immediately continuing to drive/reverse in the way you described. I agree with others here - just use the backup cam alongside your mirrors. The backup cam gives vastly better visibility for parking these cars than looking out the back window!
this could be.. broken or malfunctioning somehow. i've noticed when i pop my belt off and open my door, the seatback moves up an inch. could be a symptom of something bigger. Will check tonight. Thanks

I would like to back out of my garage down my private driveway without my seatbelt connected. If you do not connect the seat belt, the car can come to a sudden stop (almost puts itself in park).

I used to be able to do it but now its almost impossible to back out of the garage without the belt buckled.

This is not a "driving without a seatbelt" thread. Its a, "can I at least have this not happen when I'm going under 2 mph thread". 20 seconds or so is all I ask.

I didn't get a reply and was directed here to another thread with someone complaining about the same thing. This is simply something Tesla changed in their software and needs top be fixed. Tesla is just doing the old CYA thing and forcing you to buckle up. But as others have said, this is issue is actually a safety issue within itself. The car should not slam into park just because I'm trying to back out of my garage without my belt on. It is much safer to NOT have the belt on under these circumstances.

The rearward visibility is so poor on the model 3 (and Y) you see more with the cameras than turning around.
So? In fact, the cameras are better than your own eyes
2024 model 3. Driving into my commuter lot for the first time this morning. It is very dark and very crowded. I always pop off my belt while parking to be able to turn around with my big winter coat on and see behind me as I back into the tiny spaces. Going 15 MPH in drive I popped it off. Chimed for 15 seconds and stopped. All cool.
Pulled forward to my spot and when I shifted to reverse it let me back up about 3 feet then abruptly slammed me into park. No chime. I put it back in reverse and it let me go about 6 inches and slammed in park again. And again one more time before i realized the seatbelt light was blinking. I clipped in and finished parking.

Is this somthing that can be turned off?
I get it, theres lots of cameras but I am not that old and I still always look behind me with my eyeballs when reversing.
I do not advise these, but its better than the car not allowing me to move
Thanks for the link. Tesla will never admit to the problem nor allow you to change it. They are doing the CYA dance.

I didn't get a reply and was directed here to another thread with someone complaining about the same thing. This is simply something Tesla changed in their software and needs top be fixed. Tesla is just doing the old CYA thing and forcing you to buckle up. But as others have said, this is issue is actually a safety issue within itself. The car should not slam into park just because I'm trying to back out of my garage without my belt on. It is much safer to NOT have the belt on under these circumstances.
Are you sure this isn’t another NHTSA requirement forced on Tesla and thus on owners?