Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the purpose of a dashboard cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen more dashboard covers when I look for Model Y accessories than I ever did when getting stuff for my Model 3 back in 2018. I don't really get the benefit of them. I understand the rationale is that these covers protect the dashboard from UV rays but for the life of me I never have had one or seen anyone use them before (and I've lived in Florida and Nevada).

A dashboard cover prevents from sun reflection back to the windshield.

Maybe you are not sensitive for it, but in my case when I rent a car,
I always take a black towel to cover the whole dashboard of the car I am renting.

In fact, many people complain about the new Model 3 dashboard with the ambiance LED light at the base of the winshield.

It seems that the new Shanghai updated Model Y also has an LED ambiant light but it is located differently to prevent any windshield reflection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taney71
A dashboard cover prevents from sun reflection back to the windshield.

Maybe you are not sensitive for it, but in my case when I rent a car,
I always take a black towel to cover the whole dashboard of the car I am renting.

In fact, many people complain about the new Model 3 dashboard with the ambiance LED light at the base of the winshield.

It seems that the new Shanghai updated Model Y also has an LED ambiant light but it is located differently to prevent any windshield reflection.

Thanks! I appreciate the comprehensive response.