Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy now or wait til new year 2015?

Buy now or wait til new year 2015?

I've made up my mind to by a MS. Initially I was anxious to get delivery by the end of the year to take advantage of the Federal tax credit. I've done my homework in terms of charger installation, insurance etc. The car is spec'd up and I'm ready to place the order for (hopefully) a November delivery.

But now I'm thinking: why order it now and have a "2014 model" when I could wait only a couple of months and have a "2015 model". OK, I'd have to wait another 12 months to get the tax credit, but when it comes to selling it or trading it in a few years from now, it will be a whole year younger (2015 vs 2014).

Am I thinking straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
    I've made up my mind to by a MS. Initially I was anxious to get delivery by the end of the year to take advantage of the Federal tax credit. I've done my homework in terms of charger installation, insurance etc. The car is spec'd up and I'm ready to place the order for (hopefully) a November delivery.

But now I'm thinking: why order it now and have a "2014 model" when I could wait only a couple of months and have a "2015 model". OK, I'd have to wait another 12 months to get the tax credit, but when it comes to selling it or trading it in a few years from now, it will be a whole year younger (2015 vs 2014).

Am I thinking straight?
    Telsa say doesn't make changes for model years, they happen all the time. The only potential advantage would come when you go to sell it.
    P85+ VIN:13201

Quote Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
    Telsa say doesn't make changes for model years, they happen all the time.
    Yes, I realize the car will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
    The only potential advantage would come when you go to sell it.
    That's what I'm talking about. I'm thinking that in 3 years time, the difference in resale value between a 2014 and a 2015 model could by fairly substantial (even though they may actually only be a month or two different in age).

That's what I'm talking about. I'm thinking that in 3 years time, the difference in resale value between a 2014 and a 2015 model could by fairly substantial (even though they may actually only be a month or two different in age).
    The depreciation on luxury cars is so huge, it probably won't make any significant difference, either way your looking at getting 1/2 or less of your initial money back. I'd plan on keeping it for longer than 3 years, since you'd have already lost most of the money on deprecation.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

At this point, you won't have to wait long to order a 2015 calendar year car. I figure by the end of September or early October, deliveries will slip to January. Problem solved -- whether you like or not.
    S85 | MC Red | 19" Standard Wheels | Pano | Tan | Piano Black | Dual Charger + HPWC | Tech | Air Suspension | Parking Sensors | UHFS | Alcantara Headliner | Parcel Shelf
    Ordered: 6/17/14 | Confirmed: 6/30/14 | VIN Assigned: 7/28/14 | Expected Delivery: Late September
    My posts may not be quoted outside of this forum without my permission.

I doubt that will be the case. I think the resale value depends on the options and mileage the car has, and condition of course.
    S 85 Silver & Grey w/Tech, Coils, Hi-Fi Sound, Parking Sensors, Fog Lamps, Lacewood, HPWC, took delivery 12/21/13, currently approaching 13K miles

Quote Originally Posted by ecarfan View Post
    I doubt that will be the case. I think the resale value depends on the options and mileage the car has, and condition of course.
    +1. There is no reason to think the "model year" paradigm will apply to used Teslas when it doesn't apply to new ones. Options, mileage, and VIN.
    60 kWh | Green | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | Tech Package | Pano Roof | Supercharging | Parcel Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by ecarfan View Post
    There appears to be quite a difference in the non-Sig 2012 and 2013 cars. Little difference between 2013 and 2014 cars. I think the existing paradigm driven by used car dealers and insurance companies will win, and the "older" model year car will be worth less.
    P85 | Grey | Tan | Pano | Tech Pkg | Air Suspension | Dual Chargers | Rear Facing Seats (Unused) | Carbon Fiber
    21" Grey Turbines (Powder Coated to Match) | 3rd Party Parking Sensors Powered by 17 kW Solar PV System

I'm thinking: why order it now and have a "2014 model" when I could wait only a couple of months and have a "2015 model".
    Tesla does rolling changes rather than model year updates. The decision to purchase a model S now or wait is more an emotional decision than financial.

Everything about the model S is different, you can't think of it like buying a regular ICE vehicle. Even if you waited until 2015, you may still have the same dilemma with a 2015 vehicle. When Tesla releases new features, standard or optional during the same year it effectively creates a higher resale on that specific car than those manufactured just a week or month earlier.

Bottom line, are you happy with the current features a model s has today, optional or otherwise? Or, does your must have list include, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, upgraded seats, heated steering wheel? If so, wait until next year or 2016.

Otherwise place your order now and start having fun.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasEV View Post
    +1. There is no reason to think the "model year" paradigm will apply to used Teslas when it doesn't apply to new ones. Options, mileage, and VIN.
    With the exception that it will take practically forever for companies like KBB to change from the model year concept when setting a value on a car. This isn't much of a problem now because most Tesla owners and prospective purchasers have done their homework, but it will be a problem in the future when Tesla is selling hundreds of thousands of cars a year. Most people check KBB and Edmonds to find out what they should pay.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information