Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rims from third party Did you have her sign a document for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I have had so mounted on my Model S rims of the company AZEV.

Also went without problems.

But now my DS has sent me a document that I want to sign.

View attachment Deed of Release from Liability.doc

My English is not so good, but the following is clear to me:

- There were other wheels mounted on my desire
- According AZEV to the rim only be tightened to 130 Nm.

But the rest sounds Frightening.

I worry that I do when I write it, Tesla issuing a charter.

Does anyone still have to fill in here?

Am looking forward to the answers.

greeting

Karsten

I purchased a 21" wheel and winter tire set from Tire Rack (here in the US). I had my local Tesla Service Center install them and they did ask, and I did sign, a waiver indicating they were not warrantied because I did not get them through Tesla. I am not worried about it.

Tesla's new corporate policy (this changed within the last 6 mod or so, exact date I don't know), is that if you put 'non Tesla' rims and/or get tires from anyone other than Tesla, they are not responsible for what happens. For example, if you have a TPMS problem with the actual unit in the tire, while they will diagnose it, they will not replace it because it entails taking off a non OEM tire and rim. I would not sign this, as no other auto manufacturer that I know of requires this of a customer when they put on 3rd party rims.

I would not sign this, as no other auto manufacturer that I know of requires this of a customer when they put on 3rd party rims.

Hello

Exactly how I see it too.
I even have extra-install the original TPMS sensors from Tesla.

I know myself when problems / damage is caused by the rims, I own fault and not Tesla.

But what can happen if I refuse to sign the document?

Hello

Exactly how I see it too.
I even have extra-install the original TPMS sensors from Tesla.

I know myself when problems / damage is caused by the rims, I own fault and not Tesla.

But what can happen if I refuse to sign the document?

I do not know what happens if you do not sign it. Perhaps they would ask you to have the rims/tires installed at an non Tesla facility. I have a good relationship with my local SC. If I have an issue they resolve it in a way that I find acceptable/fair. I signed the document and I will not lose sleep over having done so. If it does prove to be a problem, then so be it.

This is exactly what they will do. I have what I believe is an exceptional relationship with my SC, that said, its corporate policy now.

So, KaJu74...It appears your choices are fairly clear. Sign and let TM SC provide the service and you take a chance (signing) OR have a third party facility do it and you take your chance (because TM may not stand behind work done by a 3rd party facility).

Additional edit; The policy change at Tm has been dramatic. At my local SC when I got my car they were allowed (or maybe more accurately not specifically prohibited) from putting the Gator rim protectors (I purchased and provided to them) on the factory wheels at the time of delivery. They will not do that now.

Last edited:
So, KaJu74...It appears your choices are fairly clear. Sign and let TM SC provide the service and you take a chance (signing) OR have a third party facility do it and you take your chance (because TM may not stand behind work done by a 3rd party facility).

Not entirely true. I would never allow someone to put rim/wheels on my car and take zero responsibility for the job done. TM is saying they will put the 3rd party stuff on but take no responsibility for it...at a minimum the third party that puts the wheels on the car guarantees their work :)

Additional edit; The policy change at Tm has been dramatic. At my local SC when I got my car they were allowed (or maybe more accurately not specifically prohibited) from putting the Gator rim protectors (I purchased and provided to them) on the factory wheels at the time of delivery. They will not do that now.

This is very very true. In fact, when i first got my car, my local SC changed my tires frequently, and never even charged me. There have been a number of changes, mostly due unfortunately as I understand it as owners have 'pushed the boundaries' of what should be expected from service versus what local SC folks were kind enough to do. A few bad apples always spoils the bunch.

The rim policy change was due to, as I understand it, an owner had a Tesla SC install 3rd party rims on the car which didn't conform to Tesla standards, and the rims themselves failed (meaning the rim's broke during driving, not that they fell off or the installation was wrong), and the owner sued Tesla rather than the rim manufacturer.

Not entirely true. I would never allow someone to put rim/wheels on my car and take zero responsibility for the job done. TM is saying they will put the 3rd party stuff on but take no responsibility for it...at a minimum the third party that puts the wheels on the car guarantees their work :)

This is very very true. In fact, when i first got my car, my local SC changed my tires frequently, and never even charged me. There have been a number of changes, mostly due unfortunately as I understand it as owners have 'pushed the boundaries' of what should be expected from service versus what local SC folks were kind enough to do. A few bad apples always spoils the bunch.

The rim policy change was due to, as I understand it, an owner had a Tesla SC install 3rd party rims on the car which didn't conform to Tesla standards, and the rims themselves failed (meaning the rim's broke during driving, not that they fell off or the installation was wrong), and the owner sued Tesla rather than the rim manufacturer.

I know this is going off topic but the amount of litigation in the US is one of the few things that really ticks me off...short rant, now over and back to our regularly scheduled program...

I know this is going off topic but the amount of litigation in the US is one of the few things that really ticks me off...short rant, now over and back to our regularly scheduled program...

totally agree, but its the country we live in..that said, I'm not sure why Tesla just can't add to its service contract that it would install third party rims so long as they met Tesla specifications and isn't responsible for manufacturer defects etc etc...

The AZEV rims with winter tires already on the car since the handover.
The rims have been fitted by the service center with the original TPMS sensors.

It has never told me anything that can lead to "problems".
My guess is that the low tightening torque, the "problem" is.
AZEV are "only" 130 Nm ago, in the opinion of the TÜV.
Tesla pretends 175 Nm.

Tomorrow I will only make a phone call, with AZEV and my DS.
I want the DS the document definitely in my native language (German).

I have had many cars and many non-original wheels / tires, but this is something I have not "experienced".

Really Is this due to all the lawsuits in the U.S.?

The AZEV rims with winter tires already on the car since the handover.
The rims have been fitted by the service center with the original TPMS sensors.

It has never told me anything that can lead to "problems".
My guess is that the low tightening torque, the "problem" is.
AZEV are "only" 130 Nm ago, in the opinion of the TÜV.
Tesla pretends 175 Nm.

Tomorrow I will only make a phone call, with AZEV and my DS.
I want the DS the document definitely in my native language (German).

I have had many cars and many non-original wheels / tires, but this is something I have not "experienced".

Probably, In The US it appears that people will initiate, or threaten to initiate, legal action over just about anything. Unfortunate, but true. So, it is my opinion that TM is just trying to protect itself from legal action if anything associated with a product you did not buy from them or have serviced at their facility fails, or somehow results in harm to other parts of the car, a human, or other property damage.

I am willing to give Tesla in writing, which I and AZEV have requested to firmly pull the wheels with 130 Nm.
But nothing more. Because the wheels have been tested and approved by TÜV (technical inspection association).

Let's see what I get out tomorrow on the phone.

These are the rims. :rolleyes:

2014-02-08 14.31.13.jpg

2014-02-08 14.31.29.jpg

I am willing to give Tesla in writing, which I and AZEV have requested to firmly pull the wheels with 130 Nm.
But nothing more. Because the wheels have been tested and approved by TÜV (technical inspection association).

Let's see what I get out tomorrow on the phone.

These are the rims. :rolleyes:

View attachment 43414
View attachment 43415

Very nice. Good luck with your decision/negotiation.

I bought but rejected a set of TWS Nurburgrings. Like the wheels pictured, they have a mounting flange that is much smaller diameter than the disc brake hat on the car. This will increase leverage on the wheel with side loads compared with the stock wheels. It may never cause any problems, but Model S is a heavy car and this situation will definitely cause higher bending loads in the center spider area. It scared me and I bought a set of stock Tesla 19s for my snow tires. They are not as pretty and not as easy to clean but I feel safer.

It's because a manufacturer is held to a higher standard than a dealer or tire store. If a Telsa factory service centre installs something, it's implied that the factory engineers have approved of it and if problems occur the NHTSA could become involved. I don't think lawsuits really enter into this one, although they are a problem for everyone.

Tesla's new corporate policy (this changed within the last 6 mod or so, exact date I don't know), is that if you put 'non Tesla' rims and/or get tires from anyone other than Tesla, they are not responsible for what happens. For example, if you have a TPMS problem with the actual unit in the tire, while they will diagnose it, they will not replace it because it entails taking off a non OEM tire and rim. I would not sign this, as no other auto manufacturer that I know of requires this of a customer when they put on 3rd party rims.

I would not tolerate this if it actually applies to tires -- they sold the car without winter tires originally and I had to get them third-party, no choice whatsoever in the matter. Tesla is responsible for dealing with my winter tires, or any other tires which are within Tesla's official tire specs. But of course I didn't swap out the rims, I've just been swapping tires on the factory rims.

I think there are probably more potential liability issues with third-party rims than with third-party tires; because tires have a "manufacturer spec" and rims don't. Hopefully the corporate policy only applies to rims, not tires.

KaJu74,

Why do you believe that 130Nm is ok on the Model S? Perhaps someone else with more knowledge on how wheel torque values are selected can chime in, but I thought that torque specs are decided because of the requirements of the car, not the rim. And, because of the high level of torque the Model S can generate, the wheel nut torque values were actually raised early on. If that is the case, and if your wheels are only able to be torqued to 130Nm, wouldn't that mean that the wheels that you are looking at are not suitable for the Model S?

Peter

In Germany, there ist the TÜV.

The TÜV is the technical examination institution.
The Checks all things and has tested these rims.
The audit determined by the TÜV, the nuts must be tightened to 120 Nm and only then with 130 Nm.

I have inquired several times.

I'll check the torque from time to time.

I have attached a screen shot of the TÜV document.

Drehmoment.JPG

Realistically, you can not expect Tesla to warranty, or service under warranty issues that arise from non-Tesla parts. Even with tires, if you purchase your tires say from some place other than Tesla, would you really expect tesla to warranty them even if they are within the load range and specs Tesla puts out...I think not.

Put it this way...say you have a compressor for something at home made by Manufacture Z. And say you have to put a belt on it and go to Home Depot and buy a belt not made by Manufacturer Z, and the belt fails, would you really expect that Manufacturer Z should fix it for free?