Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Signature vs. GP nose cone

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    So does the nose cone contain a bumper of some sort?
    I believe all cars are mandated to have a bumper. But nothing different than what other makers have....
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

Wonder why they did it? Not sure if I like it.
    The 'lip' looks like it was a continuation of the line running from the fender to the nose.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    The nosecone never had a real bumper in it. The boron steel bumper sits right behind the mid portion of the nosecone -- that hasn't changed with the redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgdixon View Post
    Wonder why they did it? Not sure if I like it.
    The 'lip' looks like it was a continuation of the line running from the fender to the nose.
    A Sig owner might be able to understand the reasons better (they can look under the hood to see) but it looks like they went from two pieces to one piece for the nosecone. One less piece has got to be better than two just for the simplicity.

Sig S#118; R#770 (ret.) stevezzzz's Avatar
    It's a little dark in the garage, but it looks like my early sig has a two-piece nose cone with the join line along that upper horizontal lip.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by stevezzzz View Post
    It's a little dark in the garage, but it looks like my early sig has a two-piece nose cone with the join line along that upper horizontal lip.
    Perhaps that's the difference -- mine looks like a one-piece but still has the lip. I'll take a closer look later.

Just for interest's sake, the original nose cone is more than two pieces. The area to the lower right of the Tesla T pops out (with a plastic prybar or some other non damaging item) to reveal the pos and neg terminals of the battery connections, for jumpstarting, I suppose. I don't see how you can access that with the new nosecone, unless the battery connectors are back under the frunk now.

The original nosecone has a definite bumper shape across the middle of the front, which sticks out maybe an inch in front of the rest of the nose. Possibly a light bump that might damage just the bumper plastic would not hit the rest of the front end. It definitely makes for easy quick ID of a Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    Just for interest's sake, the original nose cone is more than two pieces. The area to the lower right of the Tesla T pops out (with a plastic prybar or some other non damaging item) to reveal the pos and neg terminals of the battery connections, for jumpstarting, I suppose. I don't see how you can access that with the new nosecone, unless the battery connectors are back under the frunk now.
    Jumpstarting? Is that even relevant with this car ??? If the 12v dies, do all the systems run off the 12v? How does the 12v get its charge from larger battery pack when running, is there an alternator of some kind? I've always wanted to know this. (mods, feel free to move this to another thread if it goes too far off topic)

Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
    Tesla has played with a number of different designs - I just noticed that the Tesla home page has a different nose cone than either the Signature or GP nose cone.

Name:  Nosecone.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  77.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Has anyone figured out how to remove the new nosecone? My DS couldn't figure it out (mine was the first new style he'd seen). I guess the jumper contacts are behind it somewhere.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Thread Information