Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

Model S Perf Sig 1055 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    I really don't think it should matter where you live. You want these supercharging stations to (eventually) be between all major cities, such that they are every approximately 200 miles. And specifically *not* closer than that to a major city (unless there are more than one in between).
    I agree, but think the key here is the word eventually.

If you start at the Miami (labeled on the map) and place Supercharger stations spaced roughly 170-200 miles away on major highways you get what you see on the map. I believe we've already agreed that the so-called Port Charlotte location isn't ideally placed for either of us. So in summary, if the state is eventually saturated with Supercharger locations it shouldn't matter where you live. However, for the initial roll out of just a handful of stations, it will definately matter where the starting point was located to pace off those initial locations. My guess is that for these initial locations rather than placing them between major cities, they started at a major city (Miami), they paced off a little less than 200 miles, and found the nearest city and placed them there.

Larry
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Founder & President)

Model S - R140
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chanin View Post
    I agree, but think the key here is the word eventually.

If you start at the Miami (labeled on the map) and place Supercharger stations spaced roughly 170-200 miles away on major highways you get what you see on the map. I believe we've already agreed that the so-called Port Charlotte location isn't ideally placed for either of us. So in summary, if the state is eventually saturated with Supercharger locations it shouldn't matter where you live. However, for the initial roll out of just a handful of stations, it will definately matter where the starting point was located to pace off those initial locations. My guess is that for these initial locations rather than placing them between major cities, they started at a major city (Miami), they paced off a little less than 200 miles, and found the nearest city and placed them there.

Larry
    Right, but my point is that Miami is only useful as a location for people who are going to the Keys. Wouldn't it be more useful to start with one that is useful for people going to Miami?
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

Model S Perf Sig 1055 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    Right, but my point is that Miami is only useful as a location for people who are going to the Keys. Wouldn't it be more useful to start with one that is useful for people going to Miami?
    Yes, I don't think we are in disagreement. Initially when Superchargers are few and far between, it would make more sense for Tesla to find suitable locations, with the necessary amenities, placed between destination cities. Nevertheless, their Florida map demonstrates just the opposite. They apparently started with a location at a major city, Miami, and it appears that for the most part they have chosen to place them at other major cities.

I think it is clear that this map was hurriedly thrown together for the Supercharger unveiling.

We have a number of club members that have professional credentials or own businesses that can assist Tesla in the detailed planning and implementation of this Supercharger network. Perhaps it is time to form a Supercharger commitee to develop some concrete ideas for Tesla's consideration.

Larry
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Founder & President)

Model S - R140
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chanin View Post
    Yes, I don't think we are in disagreement. Initially when Superchargers are few and far between, it would make more sense for Tesla to find suitable locations, with the necessary amenities, placed between destination cities. Nevertheless, their Florida map demonstrates just the opposite. They apparently started with a location at a major city, Miami, and it appears that for the most part they have chosen to place them at other major cities.

I think it is clear that this map was hurriedly thrown together for the Supercharger unveiling.

We have a number of club members that have professional credentials or own businesses that can assist Tesla in the detailed planning and implementation of this Supercharger network. Perhaps it is time to form a Supercharger commitee to develop some concrete ideas for Tesla's consideration.

Larry
    I'm all for that, as long as we know we have an audience. In the next couple of weeks I'll make a point of bringing this up to people at TM. I imagine GB will be at Lincoln Road on Thursday, and I'll bring it up during my weekly call with my OE contact. (Is that enough two-letter acronyms?)
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    (Is that enough two-letter acronyms?)
    I believe the correct phrase is "Are those enough TLAs".
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Model S - R140
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    I believe the correct phrase is "Are those enough TLAs".
    Yes, I'm familiar. But I decided against it because they aren't true TLAs, in the normal usage!

Model S - R140
    I'm all for that, as long as we know we have an audience. In the next couple of weeks I'll make a point of bringing this up to people at TM. I imagine GB will be at Lincoln Road on Thursday, and I'll bring it up during my weekly call with my OE contact. (Is that enough two-letter acronyms?)
    I was assured by my OE contact that if we put together some sort of letter, it will get passed along to the right people. The sooner the better.

Any Supercharger stations planed for Florida ?

debating the $2 supercharger option .. anyone know if there are plans for Supercharger stations in florida ? when ?

Secret Agent
    Silver P85. Tampa. Received 2/22/13.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Not sure if that dot on Florida's east coast is West Palm Beach or Vero Beach, but I'll be thrilled when that specific Supercharger is up and running. That one, and Naples.

Thread Information