Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- CBL & Associates Properties Inc. (NYSE: CBL) today announced the launch of a partnership with Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) to install Tesla Supercharging stations at several CBL Malls across the country. Tesla is building a network of Supercharging stations that will eventually enable Tesla owners to drive coast to coast in their electric vehicles. The initial cooperation will place Tesla Superchargers at five CBL Malls to include Gulf Coast Town Center in Fort Myers, FL; The Pavilion at Port Orange in Port Orange, FL; Alamance Crossing in Burlington, NC; CherryVale Mall in Rockford, IL and Imperial Valley in El Centro, CA.

Tesla Supercharging Stations at CBL Malls - Seeking Alpha

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- CBL & Associates Properties Inc. (NYSE: CBL) today announced the launch of a partnership with Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) to install Tesla Supercharging stations at several CBL Malls across the country. Tesla is building a network of Supercharging stations that will eventually enable Tesla owners to drive coast to coast in their electric vehicles. The initial cooperation will place Tesla Superchargers at five CBL Malls to include Gulf Coast Town Center in Fort Myers, FL; The Pavilion at Port Orange in Port Orange, FL; Alamance Crossing in Burlington, NC; CherryVale Mall in Rockford, IL and Imperial Valley in El Centro, CA.

Hi Nick,

Thanks.

Score one for me for my accurate speculation in posting #43. :biggrin:

Larry

SPECULATION:

Like a number of other forum members, I too wonder why we have a "Palm Coast" dot when the "Daytona" and "Jacksonville" dots are adequately spaced apart. The "Palm Coast" dot actually appears to be North of Palm Coast and South of St. Augustine and as far as I can tell it isn't in a particularly strategic location. Zooming in with Google Maps I find a trucker's travel center with a Denny's restaurant at the intersection of I-95 and Route 206 that seems to be located at the dot.

View attachment 23188

Like others, for the inititial rollout, I would like to see this potential Supercharger location moved to the Gainsville/Ocala region to facilitate North/South travel on the West side of the state.

For the most part I think that Tesla has done a good job in locating these dots. So I'm inclined to believe that there must be a "method to their madness". The only theory I have about the "Palm Coast" dot is that perhaps Tesla can't get enough spaces at the Jacksonville and Daytona locations and it needs this location to avoid congestion on well-traveled I-95. Or perhaps its a backup location in the event there are problems at Jacksonville or Daytona. I have to admit its a real head scratcher.

Larry

Based on the new information that Tesla has a multi-location deal with CBL Properties, I have another theory regarding the "Palm Coast" Supercharger location. CBL has a mall located at the intersection of Palm Coast Parkway and I-95. They refer to it as Cobblestone Village at Royal Palm Beach. It doesn't align with the dot as well, but the location is definately superior to the truckers stop.

Supercharger Possible Palm Coast 2.jpg

So maybe the reasoning for the clustering of these Supercharger stations in Northeast Florida is simply because Tesla had a multi-location deal with CBL Properties.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure how you copied/pasted the Google Map images, and thus I couldn't do the same for another potential location I've suggested before. Check out the St. Augustine Premium Outlets. They're a Simon Property Group investment, as are the Folsom SC and Gilroy CA locations. Simon also owns/manages Dadeland Mall, King of Prussia Mall, the St. Johns Town Center, and over a hundred more properties around the country. They're by far the largest multi-store owner in the nation, and even have a bunch in Japan and Korea.

Bill

I read/heard somewhere that the South Florida location will be at Dania Beach which is better for I-95 as well as the 595

I was told that the SFL location will NOT be Dania, though the plan is for most/all service centers to have superchargers eventually - for use by TM owners mostly out of hours.

Sawgrass is more likely.

If we review the dot map in posting #37 we see that the dot is West and South of Fort Lauderdale which agrees with a Dania Beach location. Sawgrass is West and North of Fort Lauderdale.

There is no question that the town of Dania Beach is a more strategic location for the reasons Nigel points out. However, from a Model S owner's perspective the Dania Beach Service Center is not an ideal location since it lacks the necessary amenities. The parking lot of the Islamorada Fish Company, less than a mile away, would be better.

However, if we look at the dot map again and review the Tampa dot, that could easily be the Tampa Service Center. (Even though I hope its Brandon Town Center.) Since there are two dots that align with both service centers, that fact unfortunately tends to reenforce the theory that Tesla intends to locate Superchargers at service centers.

Larry

There is no question that the town of Dania Beach is a more strategic location for the reasons Nigel points out. However, from a Model S owner's perspective the Dania Beach Service Center is not an ideal location since it lacks the necessary amenities. The parking lot of the Islamorada Fish Company, less than a mile away, would be better.

The Dania Beach SC is right in the middle of an industrial estate. There are few (if any) facilities there. In the short term, it would be a strange place to put a SCS for sure and doesn't fit with Tesla's soon-to-be FL SCS locations. My guess is either Sawgrass or maybe Aventura Mall just off I-95 near North Miami Beach.

The superchargers at service centers are just single superchargers that can be made available for occasional public charging, but are primarily to charge cars being serviced. This is totally different from regular supercharger sites. Outside of Hawthorne (which was a prototype) there isn't a single supercharger site colocated with any Tesla facility.

The superchargers at service centers are just single superchargers that can be made available for occasional public charging, but are primarily to charge cars being serviced. This is totally different from regular supercharger sites. Outside of Hawthorne (which was a prototype) there isn't a single supercharger site colocated with any Tesla facility.

I agree that locating a Supercharger at service centers, from a travelers perspective, is not ideal. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Tesla decided to post them on their interactive map regardless.

As I posted earlier, I'm hoping the "Dania" dot is The Shops at Pembroke Gardens and the "Tampa" dot Brandon Town Center.

Larry

It seems like we have 2 superchargers already built:
http://pulse2.com/2013/07/25/tesla-motors-2-supercharger-stations-90473/

Planning a trip to Jacksonville from Atlanta at the end of October and just wanted to see if anyone on this thread knows more details on the Jax Supercharger timing? Thanks.

Planning a trip to Jacksonville from Atlanta at the end of October and just wanted to see if anyone on this thread knows more details on the Jax Supercharger timing? Thanks.

As far as we can tell the Jacksonville Supercharger has not yet entered the permitting phase. Therefore, while it is possible, it is unlikely it will be operational by the end of October.

Larry

As many of you already know, Tesla is installing the new 120kW (vs the older 90 kW) versions of the supercharger in all of the new FL supercharger locations. I ran into a Tesla technician last week at the Fort Myers supercharger. He was sent here from CA specifically to upgrade all of the FL superchargers and make them ready for full power. After that, version 5.0 firmware update will enable the 120kW supercharging. So stay tuned!

Last edited: