Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't think it should matter where you live. You want these supercharging stations to (eventually) be between all major cities, such that they are every approximately 200 miles. And specifically *not* closer than that to a major city (unless there are more than one in between).

I agree, but think the key here is the word eventually. :biggrin:

If you start at the Miami (labeled on the map) and place Supercharger stations spaced roughly 170-200 miles away on major highways you get what you see on the map. I believe we've already agreed that the so-called Port Charlotte location isn't ideally placed for either of us. So in summary, if the state is eventually saturated with Supercharger locations it shouldn't matter where you live. However, for the initial roll out of just a handful of stations, it will definately matter where the starting point was located to pace off those initial locations. My guess is that for these initial locations rather than placing them between major cities, they started at a major city (Miami), they paced off a little less than 200 miles, and found the nearest city and placed them there.

Larry

I agree, but think the key here is the word eventually. :biggrin:

If you start at the Miami (labeled on the map) and place Supercharger stations spaced roughly 170-200 miles away on major highways you get what you see on the map. I believe we've already agreed that the so-called Port Charlotte location isn't ideally placed for either of us. So in summary, if the state is eventually saturated with Supercharger locations it shouldn't matter where you live. However, for the initial roll out of just a handful of stations, it will definately matter where the starting point was located to pace off those initial locations. My guess is that for these initial locations rather than placing them between major cities, they started at a major city (Miami), they paced off a little less than 200 miles, and found the nearest city and placed them there.

Larry

Right, but my point is that Miami is only useful as a location for people who are going to the Keys. Wouldn't it be more useful to start with one that is useful for people going to Miami?

Right, but my point is that Miami is only useful as a location for people who are going to the Keys. Wouldn't it be more useful to start with one that is useful for people going to Miami?

Yes, I don't think we are in disagreement. Initially when Superchargers are few and far between, it would make more sense for Tesla to find suitable locations, with the necessary amenities, placed between destination cities. Nevertheless, their Florida map demonstrates just the opposite. They apparently started with a location at a major city, Miami, and it appears that for the most part they have chosen to place them at other major cities.

I think it is clear that this map was hurriedly thrown together for the Supercharger unveiling.

We have a number of club members that have professional credentials or own businesses that can assist Tesla in the detailed planning and implementation of this Supercharger network. Perhaps it is time to form a Supercharger commitee to develop some concrete ideas for Tesla's consideration.

Larry

Yes, I don't think we are in disagreement. Initially when Superchargers are few and far between, it would make more sense for Tesla to find suitable locations, with the necessary amenities, placed between destination cities. Nevertheless, their Florida map demonstrates just the opposite. They apparently started with a location at a major city, Miami, and it appears that for the most part they have chosen to place them at other major cities.

I think it is clear that this map was hurriedly thrown together for the Supercharger unveiling.

We have a number of club members that have professional credentials or own businesses that can assist Tesla in the detailed planning and implementation of this Supercharger network. Perhaps it is time to form a Supercharger commitee to develop some concrete ideas for Tesla's consideration.

Larry

I'm all for that, as long as we know we have an audience. In the next couple of weeks I'll make a point of bringing this up to people at TM. I imagine GB will be at Lincoln Road on Thursday, and I'll bring it up during my weekly call with my OE contact. (Is that enough two-letter acronyms?)

I'm all for that, as long as we know we have an audience. In the next couple of weeks I'll make a point of bringing this up to people at TM. I imagine GB will be at Lincoln Road on Thursday, and I'll bring it up during my weekly call with my OE contact. (Is that enough two-letter acronyms?)

I was assured by my OE contact that if we put together some sort of letter, it will get passed along to the right people. The sooner the better.

Tesla-Supercharger-009.png.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2012/09/Tesla-Supercharger-009.png.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

Do tell. :biggrin:

Although I'd guess the same thing, simply because I believe the traffic count is higher along the East Coast than it is through Naples. On the other hand, they appear to be working regionally so those two might get built in parallel and be ready at roughly the same times.

Do tell. :biggrin:

Although I'd guess the same thing, simply because I believe the traffic count is higher along the East Coast than it is through Naples. On the other hand, they appear to be working regionally so those two might get built in parallel and be ready at roughly the same times.

At the same time, Tampa is Tesla heavy, and we can't get to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Key Largo without a supercharger on this side of Alligator Alley.

1. Ft Meyers - The mall off 75. This one is documented, just Google Ft. Meyers Tesla Supercharger.
2. Port St. Lucie - This one was on their website. http://cityofpsl.com/city-council/n...ors-to-open-supercharging-station-in-psl.html

Speculation:
The first Northeast Florida looks like Daytona, which would make sense for I4 and I95 traffic. If you see the cape canaveral bump, Melbourne would be south of that, daytona is about where that dot is. Its a great choice for the I4 crowd and the 95 crowd. Plus, show it off to the nascar fans!

attachment.php?attachmentid=22984&d=1370114593.jpg

SPECULATION:
I was studying the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami dot and wondering if its The Shops at Pembroke Gardens. I've been there and its a very nice town center, with good restaurants and with the ramp to I-75 right across the street. Its close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but not imbedded in either downtown area. If that's the Supercharger location that would be an intelligent choice.

Larry