Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD v12 automatic speed setting works pretty well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla recently added an FSD v12 automatic speed setting, shown in the screenshot below. You can learn more about it in this Not A Tesla App article: Tesla FSD Beta v12 Adds New Automatic Speed Setting

One of the things I haven’t liked about FSD v12 on city streets is that it no longer maintains the set speed, even when there’s no one in front of you. Today I decided to try the new automatic speed setting, for about 30 miles of city street driving. What a difference! The car kept up with the flow of traffic, exceeding the speed limit when appropriate. I will definitely use this from now on. I haven’t tried it on the highway yet, so I don’t know how it works there. My 2023 Model S is running 2024.3.6 (FSD v12.3.2.1).

IMG_7367.jpeg

I think it isn't consistent and varies widely depending on factors like road width, parked cars, curves, visibility, other traffic flow (or lack thereof). For me, it goes under the speed limit more often than not but 12.3.3 does go over the speed limit more often compared to 12.3. I think they would need to make it user selectable (make the chill, avg, assertive modes also control the speed preferences)

FYI, the auto speed setting doesn’t work on the highway, it reverts back to whatever setting you were using before. I’ve read here that FSD v12 is still using the older code on the highway, so I assume that’s why the auto speed setting isn’t used there. It turns on again as soon as you get off the highway.

Reactions: E90alex
I haven't tried it with the newest release, but when I tried with the first version 12 release I got, there was no way to use the right scroll wheel to lower the target. That is, I couldn't override whatever the car felt was appropriate. I did not like that and turned off the feature. They should always have a way for the driver to override during the drive and tell the car "Max 45 MPH" kinda thing.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
I haven't tried it with the newest release, but when I tried with the first version 12 release I got, there was no way to use the right scroll wheel to lower the target. That is, I couldn't override whatever the car felt was appropriate. I did not like that and turned off the feature. They should always have a way for the driver to override during the drive and tell the car "Max 45 MPH" kinda thing.
Being able to adjust the speed defeats the purpose of the automatic setting, but I agree there should be an easy way to disable the setting if the car starts going too fast (other than disengaging AP).

On a related note, I’ve noticed that when using the auto speed setting, the car will change lanes to move around slower traffic even though minimal lane changes is enabled.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
I like the Auto Speed for the most part. But I really can't figure out the logic it is using in a lot of situations. It really does love to speed....I've had it going 62km/h in a 40km/h zone. But then a minute later it is going 41km/h without any real change in the road type, conditions, number of cars etc. Overall though I prefer it to the alternative...most of the time.

I like the acceleration off the line but I think it needs to take into consideration when there is another car say just 10 car lengths ahead...why do such a crazy acceleration when it needs to do a hard deceleration just a few seconds later?

Being able to adjust the speed defeats the purpose of the automatic setting, but I agree there should be an easy way to disable the setting if the car starts going too fast (other than disengaging AP).

On a related note, I’ve noticed that when using the auto speed setting, the car will change lanes to move around slower traffic even though minimal lane changes is enabled.
You can override it in certain situations just not all which is really confusing. I had the same issue as stated above where it wanted to go 55 in a 45 where its heavily monitored / patrolled for speeding. I had to stop FSD to get my speed back to 45 and not get stopped / ticketed. Then once I made it out to the highway it wanted to go 75 in a 65 but I had the option to scroll it back to 65 where I didn't have that option in the 45 zone.

Reactions: StayGreen
FYI, the auto speed setting doesn’t work on the highway, it reverts back to whatever setting you were using before. I’ve read here that FSD v12 is still using the older code on the highway, so I assume that’s why the auto speed setting isn’t used there. It turns on again as soon as you get off the highway.
Yep that's my understanding as well. While the stacks have been combined - the highway stack is still not end-to-end AI - only the City Streets stack is using full AI. The "auto max" feature is tied specifically to the full AI stack. Hopefully at some point the highway stack will become full AI and the auto max setting will work on highways as well.

Reactions: dtdtdt
Haven't tried it on v12.3.3, but I didn't like the feature on v12.3.1. Too slow under most circumstances pissing off Jersey drivers behind me
Just hit the go pedal when this happens - IME it'll maintain your higher speed after you let off the go pedal at least under most circumstances - and since it's part of the learning AI stack - it should "remember" what you teach it over time.

You can override it in certain situations just not all which is really confusing. I had the same issue as stated above where it wanted to go 55 in a 45 where its heavily monitored / patrolled for speeding. I had to stop FSD to get my speed back to 45 and not get stopped / ticketed. Then once I made it out to the highway it wanted to go 75 in a 65 but I had the option to scroll it back to 65 where I didn't have that option in the 45 zone.
The auto speed setting isn't used on the highway, so that's why you were able to adjust your set speed there. You can tell because it no longer says AUTO under the speed limit, it shows the set speed. As soon as you exit the highway, it will show AUTO again.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Just hit the go pedal when this happens - IME it'll maintain your higher speed after you let off the go pedal at least under most circumstances - and since it's part of the learning AI stack - it should "remember" what you teach it over time.
Stepping on the gas with the auto off-set does nothing for me (again, I haven't tried it on v12.3.3). Unless you brake, FSD controls the speed. I don't believe that the AI stack works like that. It doesn't "remember" what you've done on your drives. Tesla decides what data is considered proper vehicle operation (as a fleet), before feeding that data for use by the AI, and before releasing an update

Stepping on the gas with the auto off-set does nothing for me (again, I haven't tried it on v12.3.3). Unless you brake, FSD controls the speed. I don't believe that the AI stack works like that. It doesn't "remember" what you've done on your drives. Tesla decides what data is considered proper vehicle operation (as a fleet), before feeding that data for use by the AI, and before releasing an update
I’m running 12.3.3 and when auto-offset is on and I hit the go pedal - the car accelerates just like it always does when using FSD anywhere else, and it will more often than not maintain the higher speed unless there is a reason not to do so based upon the camera data stream.

I’m running 12.3.3 and when auto-offset is on and I hit the go pedal - the car accelerates just like it always does when using FSD anywhere else, and it will more often than not maintain the higher speed unless there is a reason not to do so based upon the camera data stream.
That was my first experience and I disabled after. Could have been something else. I'll give it another try

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Well, it is good when it works.
I found too clear issues:
1) At one point of changing highways, it takes 35 mph speed limit somehow and then drives on a 65mph highway at 35 mph... and it does it more or less consistently in one place
2) FINALLY, it tries to slow down in school zones when 25 mph lights are on. But UNFORTUNATELY i tries to accelerate back to 40 mph after the very first intersection. So it is still useless and even more dangerous.

Reactions: Dracaris