Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been taking note of the timing of his articles lately. Seems they come within 24 hours of Tesla hitting an all-time high or on days where Tesla is up huge (like today). I should plot his articles on a chart of TSLA and see if there is a pattern or I'm just imagining it.

I think you're right I get the emails about tesla +- and Petersens articles on the same days very often
then I buy TSLA

Do you think that we're going too far with John Petersen? I mean, it's fun to pile on but, he's like a floundering drowning man these days. Every time he opens his mouth nonsense comes out and he gets a kicking. Perhaps we should offer to take him out for a blast or maybe create an account on TMC for him, give him some perspective.

Maybe not.

Do you think that we're going too far with John Petersen? I mean, it's fun to pile on but, he's like a floundering drowning man these days. Every time he opens his mouth nonsense comes out and he gets a kicking. Perhaps we should offer to take him out for a blast or maybe create an account on TMC for him, give him some perspective.

Maybe not.

I don't know. He seems set on trying to destroy Tesla and EVs and facts don't seem to get in his way. It's not just that he's misinformed, he doesn't want to take facts into his argument. Some people you just can't reach.

Reminds me of the Tucker and how it was tarnished by journalism and killed. At least there are a few people who don't like what most journalists say or think or think they are saying or whatever the hell they are writing and rambling about and trying to convince some mindless youhoo to make them rich
Dclosure
long TSLA
no AXPW

Well, I heard back from Denise McCluggage. Nice e-mail in which she said logic is not my strong suit and I don't get jokes. Very friendly.

Please send her an e-mail about her article. I guess I didn't do a good enough job.

Last edited:
I've been taking note of the timing of his articles lately. Seems they come within 24 hours of Tesla hitting an all-time high or on days where Tesla is up huge (like today). I should plot his articles on a chart of TSLA and see if there is a pattern or I'm just imagining it.

Maybe he is shorting TSLA and hoping his articles are influential enough to help. I stopped even reading his articles after he was proven completely wrong after the Leaf's pricing was announced.

Actually I think you got yours wrong?

(Not defending him!)

He said gallons ... the quotient you have supplied is miles. Not gallons?

Divide by what mpg?

30mpg is 10,000,000 gallons.

But then, we're all mathematically challenged. Right.

You are correct. But the proper number to use is 23.8 mpg for 2008, average mpg isn't available for 2011 yet. Which makes it 12.6 million gallons.

Silly me to get my units crossed.

You are correct. But the proper number to use is 23.8 mpg for 2008, average mpg isn't available for 2011 yet. Which makes it 12.6 million gallons.

Silly me to get my units crossed.
It happens.

I'm not seeing anyone get to what I consider to be the heart of JP's bad math, though. Even if the drive trains adds $40,000 to 20,000 cars per year (it won't), and even if the total gas savings will only be 8 billion gallons per year (it will be more) -- what's this 'per year' crap? That's 8 billion gallons per year for the life of the 20,000 cars that are built in one year.

Sure, that still works out to something like $10 a gallon. But we can assume with some certainty that the drive train cost will go down. And we can assume with some certainty that the price of gas will go up. And we can assume with some certainty that JP's numbers are BS to begin with (as everyone has pointed out). And of course he leaves out the benefits of better drive characteristics, less urban pollution, and increased safety; all of which add value to an electric drive train.

And ... and ... grrrr. FUD makes me mad.

The added cost of the electric drivetrain is at most $20,000 for comparable performance. (BMW M5 - $90k; Model S 85 kWh Performance - $92.5k; Toyota Yaris - $15k; Nissan Leaf - $35k) If we assume each drivetrain lasts an average of 10 years, that's $2000/year, and since the average consumption per car is around 355 gallons/year (33.8 MPG, 12000 miles), that implies a gas price of around $5.6. (Here, the gas price is $9-10 per gallon.)

And ... and ... grrrr. FUD makes me mad.

JP and people who attack 'problems' with his method are usually smart enough to know what they are doing. He's purposely spreading lies and misinformation in order to try and reach his goal. I don't think anyone will ever have a fact-based, rational conversation with him or Deniese McClugggage since they resort to personal attacks when they realize their argument doesn't hold water and you're making them, look bad on their own blog.

Last edited:
I assume Battery life is likely 200,000 miles? And Motor lifetime is around 500000 miles? If those numbers are correct then you get over 13 years before you need to replace the batteries (in whole or part, with reconditioning) and >33 years before the motors fail. I think most cars bodies are going to deteriorate before then unless babied. I know that I plan on keeping my first EV for a very long time, basically as long as it still works.

JP and people who attack 'problems' with his method are usually smart enough to know what they are doing. He's purposely spreading lies and misinformation in order to try and reach his goal. I don't think anyone will ever have a fact-based, rational conversation with him or Deniese McClugggage since they resort to personal attacks when they realize their argument doesn't hold water and you're making the, look bad on their own blog.

JP loves to mock commenters and argue other points well beyond the scope of his blog like what unicorns like and purchaser motivation, but when he looses an augment to facts then he comes back with his standard, "This is an investing website"

My favorite
Instead of letting plug-in vehicles like the Nissan Leaf, GM Volt and Ford Focus Electric compete on their own against fuel-efficient gasoline-powered cars, the government has used subsidies to create an artificial market that otherwise would not exist.

Somehow producing 7,500 to 10,000 electric cars a year is level playing field as producing 250,000 ICE competitor cars. The whole point of the $7,500 federal credit is to help lower the cost of the cars until they are being produced at comparable levels.

This is EXACTLY how subsudies work. That and for items that have higher upfront costs, but save money in the long run. Again perfectly applicable to electric cars.

We should all write to the chair of finance at the university of Michigan pointing out all the flaws by Mark perry. His department head's email is Tyler shumway, email [email protected] . Maybe Perry may get a talkin to by his boss about spouting out lies and misrepresentations about evs. It's bad enough, but if he would have done 5 minutes of research or asked an engineer, all his assertations would have been debunked

The funny point is that the tax credit applies to the Volt which is a hybrid. So in what way did the tax credit block the development of hybrids?
This professor of economics has some serious limited view of his field. Economics right now fail to take into aspect the external costs of fossil fuel, let alone their limited availability.