Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a German company that does remote-operated rental vehicles (they remote-drive the rental to you, and then you park anywhere when you're done and they remote-drive it to the next customer). They actually do it all through 4G:
They seem to have 4 separate 4G modules with 4 different operators as fallback. But they say they use only one in active mode. So I guess it’s possible. Thanks for that.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Didn't see any improvements for my usual disengagements:
1. unprotected turns, in mid heavy-traffic
2.indecisive when single lane splits into two

Once FSD stops slowing down at stop sign(which is usually 3-5feet ahead of actual intersection), and creeps and stops all the way to the intersection line, I think unprotected turn behavior will improve greatly.

But some things are like human behavior.
#Was at traffic light, like 4th car from lights. Suddenly my car moved forward and I was like shocked and was about to disengage. Then realized that FSD created a slightly larger gap behind my car, so that the car on other side of the road had enough space to cross and enter LIDL

#Also sometimes it doesn't turn to right most lane, but the middle lane because right most lane has more cars.
..things I would normally do.

# At stop lights if there is a large truck blocking the lights, it just follows the truck until it can see the lights

there was a video of FSD following human turn signals, so lets see how that progress goes. though it is kinda of scary, as anyone could show a stop sigbn and cause the car to stop. Laws will likely need to be written for this.

+ parking works well- but seems it likes to reverse into the parking spots

Last edited:
There's a German company that does remote-operated rental vehicles (they remote-drive the rental to you, and then you park anywhere when you're done and they remote-drive it to the next customer). They actually do it all through 4G:
Phantom Auto also does teledriving, though it seems they've pivoted more to industrial markets. I think one of those little food delivery bot companies (maybe Starship?) uses remote drivers based in a low income country. As @Knightshade says, though, Waymo and Cruise remote monitors do not actually drive the car, just help with route selection and such when a car is unsure how to proceed. Sometimes the remote monitors screw up -- in January one mistakenly told a Waymo to proceed through a red light.

As many of us guessed, the take rare is much higher than 2% and Yipit's data was rubbish:

I'd wait until we get actual data from Tesla before celebrating this. Technically 4% is double what that survey said which would count as "much higher than 2%", but at the same time I don't think anyone would celebrate it.

Saying that, if Tesla is able to get 100x improvement on DE frequency, it would put it around 1000km on average per disengagement and suggest they're on the right track towards achieving unsupervised FSD and, by extension, RT. Judging by the data available, they couldn't release RT now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV
Did you say the same thing to the bears celebrating the poorly modeled Yipit data?

No, as I was still waiting on clarifications. Again, we don't know how good the Yipit data is. My personal take is that the number isn't impressive, it's the same story as it was with the Model 2 Gen3. Technically the original news gets one piece of the puzzle wrong and you can call it a lie. In this case, maybe it's 4% or even 6% (300% bigger than the estimate), but way below even the most pessimistic expectations.

Given Elon's style of posting, as an investor, you can look for some pretty useful clues. If the actual numbers are impressive, they'll be made public. See 12.4 touted improvement of 5-10x, then 12.5 with similar numbers. Otherwise it will be countered on details, but make it seem like the whole story is wrong. In the long term it doesn't matter, every stock is evaluated on projected future earnings, the more deadlines are being missed, the more circumspect the market will look at "pie in the sky" projections for the future.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
And it doesn't enter turn lanes aggressively enough in heavy traffic. Instead it waits to see the dashed "entry" lines. In heavy traffic, people get into turn lanes early. FSD needs to recognize when traffic is heavy, FSD needs to move car into turn lane sooner, even if it means traveling in a bike lane for a short distance, or squeezing between the stopped cars and the curb. Humans do this all the time, as if they didn't, they would not be able to get in the turn lane.
Changing lanes over the solid white is illegal. My wife actually got a ticket for that in Philadelphia, when she realized the long line of cars in the left lane was for an exit up ahead. Someone let her in, but it cost her $125. Pure revenue stream for excitable PDs. Programmed FSD will never do that.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV