Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve Parker: Exclusive: Major dealer group to sell hybrid Fisker Karma

...we've learned exclusively that one of the nation's largest auto dealer groups has been signed by Fisker Automotive to carry their sedan and hardtop convertible Karma plug-in hybrid models...

According to industry journal Automotive News, the influential Ron Tonkin Automotive Group owns some 15 dealerships in and around the Portland, OR area. AN says it is the #81 dealership group in the US with 2007 sales of almost 23,000 new, used and fleet cars and trucks for $466 million. Tonkin will be Fisker's exclusive Oregon state dealership.

How do you know that? On their web site they just say "significantly more."

My wife had put down a deposit on a Karma back when it was 1K. When the price went to 80K (now 87) we decided to pass. Then the Sunset came out. She drives a convertible now so I asked if she had gotten her refund. She said had not got around to it so I called Fisker to ask if we could transfer our Karma over to a Sunset. The answer was no not really (with a little hedging) and that's when I got the 25K more number

I guess we are still keeping our reservation number 856 because it may have value later. Certainly more that the 1K investment we have now as the deposit has risen to 5K for later cars.

They also said they are on track to deliver the first 100 cars at the end of this year.

Fisker Karma S convertible now available for order - AutoblogGreen

Hopeful buyers of the Fisker Karma S now have a place to send their deposits to get in line for the first run of the extended-range plug-in drop top. Head PR man Russel Datz has reportedly confirmed that today's deposits of $25,000 will lead to deliveries at the end of 2011, though the final price has yet to be determined. That's a long wait to be sure, but getting a brand new vehicle with such cutting edge technology is anything but easy. Oh, and did we mention it's also stunningly beautiful?

Apparently Fisker ran a TV commercial in the LA market just before the Oscars.
Fisker Karma Makes An Oscar Appearance | Autopia from Wired.com

The commercial looks rather low budge, but appears they're actually trying to do some advertising. Not sure how effective it is, but it shows something about their target customers. It was posted here earlier how they have ads at LAX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that the feel the need for advertising. They have made a big deal that they are sold out through mid-2010 - I wonder if pre-sales are not going as well as they would like.

Edit to add:

Agreed.

A combination of the Volt & the Model S will likely cut into their sales. Lucky for Fisker it launched earlier, so it can move to a new model by the time the Volt and Model S comes out.

They are trying to sell at Mercedes CLS volume (15k per year) with a premium of $20k ($87k Karma vs $67k CLS). In this kind of economy it'll be harder. It'll help if they develop the European market like they said they plan to.

Anyone know the status of the Fisker. Just realized that is kinda close to Tucker LOL .... Do they have a working prototype? A production vehicle? have they done any testing ? do they have a plant site ? done any tooling ? or do they seem to be behind Tesla ? Seems to me all we have seen so far is hype. Though I do believe they are more than hype.

Anyone know the status of the Fisker. Just realized that is kinda close to Tucker LOL .... Do they have a working prototype? A production vehicle? have they done any testing ? do they have a plant site ? done any tooling ? or do they seem to be behind Tesla ? Seems to me all we have seen so far is hype. Though I do believe they are more than hype.

They are ahead of Tesla if you are using the Model S to compare, using the Roadster they are behind. They have Valmet to build their car (just like Tesla had Lotus). They appear to have a working prototype (see the videos) and claim they are in the process of safety testing or done with it (if they aren't at this stage then I don't know how they can possibly make their deadline at the end of the year).

Certainly not as transparent as when Tesla launched their Roadster, so it's harder to judge.

Apparently Fisker ran a TV commercial in the LA market just before the Oscars.

I watched the Oscars and did not see the spot. There were several pre-award shows on at the time though and maybe I or they were on opposing channels at the time.

The commercial looks rather low budge...

My take.

I'd say the spot suffered most from going over 30 seconds. Any longer (like 45 or 60) and you really have to tell a story.
Also, it tastes like too many cooks all tried to get in their ingredients.

That said, it might work well at a kiosk or airport venue.

The driving car footage would have been 10 times better though Sonoma's green fields or through the woods on Mt Tam.

I think they did OK if a commercial was an afterthought. It's a bunch of disparate shots that they probably augmented with the artwork shots. No flow.

Photography is not even close to the still work they present.

The traveling soft vignette is cool but way overdone.

Its cool to see any sort of ad for an electric-ish car, but it's definitely got that "Reach for the sky, Devry!" vibe. :rolleyes:

The editing is way quicker than necessary, and the music is very "stock loops lol". I agree that its too long.

Sometimes a low budget ad can in itself give me a lower view of a company, and make me think they shouldn't have bothered at all. But I guess thats more true for a really competitive market and not something aimed at the more environmentally-minded consumers.

(besides, its a shame how much some companies spend on marketing when they could be using that money to improve their product!)

Sometimes a low budget ad can in itself give me a lower view of a company, and make me think they shouldn't have bothered at all.

Good point.

This work is so low class compared the the car, the website, show booth. and the general professional image they have put out to date that this probably brings them down a notch.

It's something that I would have expected from Aptera, Tango or Corbin. Take a scrappy startup full of brilliant engineers, one whom has a kid that wants be the next Michael Bay and you get the mishmash we see here.

Fisker ekes out $3M to put finishing touches on its swanky electric car VentureBeat

Fisker Automotive, maker of a luxury plug-in hybrid vehicle called the Karma, has squeezed an additional $3 million out of its private investors, bringing its total capital raised to more than $100 million — a staggering feat considering the state of the credit market. The Irvine, Calif. company just raked in $65 million in September, but says the recent addition to its third round is just the right amount to put finishing touches on the Karma before it rolls into showrooms.

Fisker is also trying to get its hands on some of the government’s newly-allocated cleantech money. It has already applied for a few low-interest federal loans offered through the Department of Energy — which it says it would use to begin developing a more practical, lower-end vehicle. This seems like a smart move for a company that will attempt to sell its primary product for $87,900 a pop in a down economy. But for now, the $3 million will be split between fine-tuning the Karma and a stake in an undisclosed battery company. The latter will be critical in securing an exclusive supply of batteries compatible with the company’s vehicles, Fisker spokesperson Russell Datz told Earth2Tech.