Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He says "all 4 wheels are driven - it's all wheel drive!"
How do they drive the front wheels? Maybe there is a mechanical connection from the ICE after all?!

Last edited:
Just another reporter with twisted facts. Unless of course he knows something about the car that Fisker doesn't. Henrik very clearly states in the video above that the engine only drives a generator and never turns the wheels also that the two electric motors are in the rear attached to a differential and applying 400 hp to the rear wheels.

It seems clear that there are two big eMotors straddling the rear differential, but if the cars.com guys is right there is a reverse driveshaft (back to front) also driving the front wheels. I am dubious and doubt it. I think the "transmission tunnel" is filled with batteries, not a driveshaft...
Most of the other stuff that guys says seems correct, so I am surprised that he may have flubbed on something so fundamental. Perhaps he just assumed there must be a driveshaft based on the transmission tunnel?

It seems clear that there are two big eMotors straddling the rear differential, but if the cars.com guys is right there is a reverse driveshaft (back to front) also driving the front wheels. I am dubious and doubt it. I think the "transmission tunnel" is filled with batteries, not a driveshaft...

From RoadandTrack.com -- New Car Search - 2009 Fisker Karma (1/2009)

The 4-seat 4650-lb. Karma S uses a powertrain — dubbed "Q-drive" — developed in conjunction with Quantum Technologies. Q-drive consists of two electric motors powered by a lithium-ion battery pack (located in the center tunnel)

On a slightly different note, seems like there is a lot more stuff in the Karma
than the Tesla Roadster, makes me wonder how Fisker can plan to sell it for
$87,900 when Tesla can't even build a Roadster for that much.

Yep, was going to mention that. And it doesn't have a carbon fiber body either. Even so, maybe they sell the first batch at a loss to get interest going?

Even if Fisker and Tesla can turn a "per car profit" it is going to take a while to recap all those big R&D $.

@James - it goes back to the chemistry. The batteries used by PHEV manufacturers like the Volt and FIsker use chemistries that are much more tolerant of cycling over time. The two main ones we hear about are Lithium Manganese and Lithium Iron-Phosphate. The lG chem batteries in the volt are Li-Mn and so are the batteries made by ALP, Fisker's battery supplier. They can cycle several thousand times with a much lower degradation than Lithium Colbat Oxide cells cycling several hundred times

To add to Siry, these batteries' high cycling tolerance is generally a tradeoff with other capabilities.

A battery with high cycling capabilities may not have high energy density, or a battery with high energy denisty may not have a high power density. There are tons of trade-offs in battery design.

Somehow the front looks a bit different here:
2010_fisker_karma_front_main.jpg

Fisker looking for 40 U.S. dealers to sell the 2010 Karma

Lots of pix here:
2010 Fisker Karma - a set on Flickr

I thought so too but could not put my finger on it. Yes the obvious black grill without the vertical "teeth" look, but there is something else. Maybe the whole nose got pinched like a hand squeezing someone's lips shut.

Maybe the ends/edges of the lips are not as upturned.

Anyway. it's better. -And we have not asked for our money back.

By the way. the Sunset is probably going to be 25Kish more that the coupe.

3220255878_922435145e_b.jpg

They changed the appearance of the lower air intake...
And at least from this angle, the main grill appears to be grimacing less... that is the corners seem less upturned. Could also just be the color. Looks better anyhow.
But I wish they had just done the styling more like the Tramonto.

fisker-tramonto.jpg

308263259_56087bed66_o.jpg

Has a much more sensible interior as well.

Last edited: