Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/FSD related crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As @Daniel in SD pointed out previously, AEB can be overridden by hard acceleration - so if someone does accidentally smash the accelerator (thinking it's the brakes for example), AEB would not be able to stop the car.
And if it did, and a more serious accident resulted (driver trying to drive in to a hedge to avoid getting rear ended, for example) this forum would be flooded with ‘Tesla’s safety features caused an accident!’ posts.

Not FSD related but accidents like these just make me reflect on debating Level 4-5 autonomy when modern cars can't even reliably stop a driver from hitting the wrong pedal and plowing into a building.

Generalized robotaxis are far away, stopping stuff like this shouldn't be. Y'know? Show me a car that you can put somewhere in front of or behind an object, mash the accelerator, and it won't let you crash.
There are joke videos made, but basically it's a long the lines that if you really wanted to run over someone in a Tesla, you can mash down the accelerator and it'll still allow it. Basically AI can't account for all situations, and a way for the human to override is always needed, especially when in full manual mode.

Tesla does have obstacle aware acceleration, but it's designed to still allow acceleration in certain cases, plus it can be disabled (and vehicle in question might not have it). I remember reading about false positives for an on ramp to a bridge that has a stop sign. The obstacle aware acceleration prevented car from applying full acceleration, which led to a dangerous situation.

Basically L4/L5 is irrelevant, these systems will never be perfect (see the other thread where yet again a L4 Cruise car is stuck in the middle of an intersection). The fact of the matter is automakers are not liable for safety systems that fail to prevent an accident due to inaction, but may be liable if they actively cause the accident or prevent the driver from performing an action that may have prevented the accident.

The number of occasions in motoring history that ‘the car just lunged forward’ has turned out to be a mechanical fault rather than driver error is effectively zero. ...
It was later discovered that the floor mats of the affected Toyota vehicles could cause them to accelerate suddenly, and that Toyota had known about these problems but had misled consumers and continued to manufacture defective cars. In March 2014, the Department of Justice issued $1.2 billion of financial penalties against Toyota in a deferred prosecution agreement.[6]

In late May 2022, Ford issued a recall for the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E due to a Unintended Acceleration Issue resulting from the powertrain control module (PCM) functional safety software potentially failing to detect a software error, resulting in unintended acceleration, unintended deceleration, or a loss of drive power.[8]

It was later discovered that the floor mats of the affected Toyota vehicles could cause them to accelerate suddenly, and that Toyota had known about these problems but had misled consumers and continued to manufacture defective cars. In March 2014, the Department of Justice issued $1.2 billion of financial penalties against Toyota in a deferred prosecution agreement.[6]
Not saying it’s never happened, there have been a lot of cars made over the years. I’m saying that taken as a whole the instances of a mechanical failure vs meatbag failure will approximate to zero.

We’ll see. Maybe her Tesla suddenly and voluntarily crashed itself. I wouldn’t put my money on it though.

I had a Toyota built just after the floor mat issue. Item number one for every periodic service checklist was, "Check driver's floor mat for proper installation".

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
From the comments in the thread: "... my teslas emergency braking definitely prevented the impact. ..."

If you are wondering if AP includes emergency braking:
Active safety features come standard on all Tesla vehicles made after September 2014 for elevated protection at all times. These features are made possible by our Autopilot hardware and software system and include:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly

Last edited:
From the comments in the thread: "... my teslas emergency braking definitely prevented the impact. ..."

If you are wondering if AP includes emergency braking:
Active safety features come standard on all Tesla vehicles made after September 2014 for elevated protection at all times. These features are made possible by our Autopilot hardware and software system and include:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
Don’t have any idea that this was AP/FSD.

Sure as heck was not the fault of the cars in front though. Tesla needs to leave greater following distance he wants to have any chance of avoiding a collision like this. Though there are no guarantees.

And from Tesla's page it says that emergency braking is part of Autopilot.

If so, this would be incorrect. It's part of their active safety features as described in a separate section of the Owner's Manual.

Of course, in practice, it's performed by the same hardware that is used by AP, so it's a distinction without a difference.

But active safety features come on all cars. Even if Tesla decided to unbundle AP/EAP from the cars (as they did in the early days though my recollection may be incorrect), they would still have the active safety features.

Anyway it doesn't matter. It seems impossible to know what was active in any case. The car veered to the right in the lane at the end which does strongly suggest it was under manual control, though that could have been manual override as well.

Don’t have any idea that this was AP/FSD.

Sure as heck was not the fault of the cars in front though. Tesla needs to leave greater following distance he wants to have any chance of avoiding a collision like this. Though there are no guarantees.
Didn't the Tesla avoid the collision? It was the cars behind that collided. Don't know how the insurance would play out with this. If the Tesla hit the car in front, then the car would have had to stay and insurance would charge them, but now that Tesla avoided the crash, it would seem to leave everything to the cars behind.

Didn't the Tesla avoid the collision? It was the cars behind that collided. Don't know how the insurance would play out with this. If the Tesla hit the car in front, then the car would have had to stay and insurance would charge them, but now that Tesla avoided the crash, it would seem to leave everything to the cars behind.
The accident did not happen in the US, so it's hard to say. If it happened in the US, in a state with traditional 'at fault' insurance, then the driver who's car hit the Tesla would be held liable.

Some places have 'no fault' insurance. If that is the case here, then the insurance for each car will cover damages to that car.

No. The Tesla did not avoid the collision. That is the challenge!
The Tesla did not hit the white car. It was hit from behind only. Despite what the reddit poster claims, the driver of the white car did not cause the accident. The white car stopped to avoid hitting the two cars ahead of it that stopped for unseen reason. The accident with the Tesla was clearly caused by the driver of the car that was following the Tesla too close to stop in time.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
The Tesla did not hit the white car. It was hit from behind only. Despite what the reddit poster claims, the driver of the white car did not cause the accident. The white car stopped to avoid hitting the two cars ahead of it that stopped for unseen reason. The accident with the Tesla was clearly caused by the driver of the car that was following the Tesla too close to stop in time.
Yeah, I missed that on the first go given I was watching it just in the preview window. Looking more closely, the title is misleading in suggesting the white car had partial fault, given as you say, there were two other cars in front that stopped. That puts the fault all on the cars behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar
The Tesla did not hit the white car. It was hit from behind only.
I know, I already pointed that out! It was very clear it was no fault of the white car.
Sure as heck was not the fault of the cars in front though. Tesla needs to leave greater following distance [if] he wants to have any chance of avoiding a collision like this. Though there are no guarantees.
I actually revise this slightly. Following distance was ok, could have been better, but it wasn't the main issue here.
Not sure what alternative you were thinking? The Tesla was able to stop in time (AKA they left enough following distance to do so)
Yeah, they were following at a workable distance, just under 2 seconds, though it is much safer and preferable to be in the just-under-3-second range.

However, the issue here was the incredibly slow reaction of the Tesla driver - they waited over 2 seconds to brake significantly (about 2.5-2.7 seconds) ! You can see the instant of heavy braking based on when the car suddenly angles downwards, and when the distance to the car behind rapidly starts changing.

Brake lights (which were very predictable - other brake lights and veering were visible further ahead at 2 seconds) come on around 2.7 seconds:
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 4.03.33 PM.png

Tesla brakes at 5.4 seconds, maybe as early as 5.2 seconds, a little hard to say exactly. But the dive is pretty clear, followed by rapidly closing traffic to the rear.
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 4.01.27 PM.png

So there are a few things you can do as alternatives to avoid a collision (or Tesla AP/FSD, which isn't really applicable here, since this reaction time was way too slow for this to be AP/FSD):

1) Increase following distance to 3-4 seconds (more if traffic conditions allow!) if there is reason to believe traffic will be slowing. This greatly increases room to operate. It also allows a better view of what is happening in front of the lead vehicle.
2) Offset lane position from lead vehicle (usually to the left slightly, though to the right is also possible with sufficient following distance). This allows you to see further ahead as well
3) Brake promptly, smoothly, and slowly when you see people in front slowing. This gives time to assess the attention of traffic behind you and allows you to reduce closing speed for traffic to your rear.
4) Watch traffic in the rear, and if they do not appear to be slowing, speed up to use your available buffer (remember your large following distance), and change lanes if possible. You can even flash your hazards, since you have time. When my car was new I avoided a rear end collision this way (though I was stopped at the time, I left a large buffer to the vehicle in front which allowed me to change lanes and avoid the car screeching to a halt in the location I had just vacated).

I do the above all the time when driving in LA or San Diego traffic, where there are frequent slowdowns. I flash my hazards whenever it's clear that traffic is slowing in an "unexpected" manner.

As I said, there are no guarantees for rear-end collisions - but you can try! Slowing down how quickly things happen improves your odds.

The only accident I have had as a driver was my fault. When I was a brand-new driver, I unexpectedly stopped past the stop line for a red light (left turn lane and the yellow was shorter than expected), and was rear-ended. It wasn't technically my fault per insurance, but it was definitely my fault. You have a duty as a driver to prevent people behind you from running into you if possible! Some of the steps above can easily be implemented by any driver, and also by Tesla.

Being hit from behind is often avoidable.

Last edited: