Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As suggested in other threads on this topic, I think this clearly demonstrates that they pulled a consumer screen off the shelf that was intended to operate in a much more controlled environment, where temp and humidity extremes just don't happen all that often if ever.

Also explains why the manufacturer appears to be telling Tesla to pound sand as opposed to replacing them as defective.
You are inventing beliefs that are not founded upon reality. The specs for these screen Tesla used have already been posted on TMC and offer evidence that what you assert is not actually true. Their operating temperature range is -20 to 60 C, and are tested at -40 to 80 C at 90% RH (relative humidity).

Tesla has limited the range of certain older cars under the guise of "safety" is to limit battery replacements under warranty. Tesla has limited the number of screen replacements under the guise of "cosmetic issue" is to limit screen replacements under warranty. I was told that squeaky fans are no longer covered under warranty even though they were replaced three times previously, under warranty, for the same reason.

Why is Tesla doing this? Simple. To boost its quarterly numbers after a devastating last 6 months. Elon is better at managing crises than he is at managing a successful, profitable company.

Are you referring to the recent change due to the fire?
Tesla Sends Software Fix Following Shanghai Model S Fire

You are inventing beliefs that are not founded upon reality. The specs for these screen Tesla used have already been posted on TMC and offer evidence that what you assert is not actually true. Their operating temperature range is -20 to 60 C, and are tested at -40 to 80 C at 90% RH (relative humidity).

Agreed. Further, there is a difference between the LCD panel itself and the bonding to the front glass that the user interacts with. The setup is typically a sandwich of LCD, touch interface, and front glass. These can be tape bonded at the edge, or optically adhesive bonded. It sounds like the glue used in the bonding has issues. Totally separate from the LCD panel itself which only has sealant at the very edge.

If you don't have an automotive range panel, it will likely not survive the first dip to -40C (fluid freezes and destroys the polarizer). High temps will also destroy the polarizer (you can see this effect on hut hub LCDs over time). (not to mention ESD)

Point taken and I stand corrected RE the panel itself. That said I think the general point still stands if Tesla or some other third party is producing the final display/digitizer/glass assembly with sub-par adhesive not up to automotive environmentals as @mongo suggested.

I can barely see the yellow around the edges and only when direct sunlight shines on the screen so it's not a big issue for me.

Tesla says they have a fix, anyone know what it is and if we can do it ourselves?

Are you referring to the recent change due to the fire?
Tesla Sends Software Fix Following Shanghai Model S Fire

Speculation only that it is related to the battery fire issue (Tesla has not confirmed nor denied) but here is the thread:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Some people lost 20 miles of range almost overnight after the software update. Tesla is no longer allowing those batteries to charge to 100% so it is real range loss. Tesla says it is all "normal".

I haven't ever heard of Tesla refusing to honor the warranty when the eMMC chip fails during the warranty period...
Well that is their fault because of bad programming decisions so they are obliged to.

I can barely see the yellow around the edges and only when direct sunlight shines on the screen so it's not a big issue for me.
It only gets worse from this point, let us know how it looks in another 4 - 6 months.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I apologise, I thought the original poster said "Tesla refusing to honor the warranty when the eMMC chip fails during the warranty period.", I didn't catch the "I haven't ever heard of" part.
Annoyingly the fix seems easy enough to perform for electronics shops, but there is hurdles to being able to get it done with parts locked to MCU's.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
That isn't how warranties work. Many an ICE car fails out of warranty because of bad design decisions. And they are not obliged to repair it out of warranty.

It's the software pushes that complicate that. No other manufacturer can reach out and brick a car's computer while you sleep. Again-- has not happened to me, but I know of those who it did. Car works fine, next morning it doesn't. I have a new update (yay!) and my buddy has a brick (boo!) There isn't any precedent for this that I know of, so I think it's a matter of someone testing the arbitration process to see if that shakes Tesla out of their lazy coding and/or develop an in-house fix that is more reasonably priced. And (selfishly) hopefully before I need it.

Was just tossing that out there since this is, I think, an uncharted area that might need a third-party to decide fairly.

It's the software pushes that complicate that. No other manufacturer can reach out and brick a car's computer while you sleep. Again-- has not happened to me, but I know of those who it did. Car works fine, next morning it doesn't. I have a new update (yay!) and my buddy has a brick (boo!)

I haven't seen the downloading of an update cause an MCU to fail, it is normally the install which the end-user normally triggers that can do that. (And it can fail all on its own with no firmware update as well.)

There isn't any precedent for this that I know of, so I think it's a matter of someone testing the arbitration process

I thought that the arbitration was only valid during the warranty.

I haven't seen the downloading of an update cause an MCU to fail, it is normally the install which the end-user normally triggers that can do that. (And it can fail all on its own with no firmware update as well.)

Oh well, if you haven't seen it then I guess it's never, ever happened. I'll notify my friend, he'll be thrilled.

I have the yellow... only see it in sunlight, and it is a very minor annoyance. For those who enjoy fighting and proving Tesla is "wrong" and catching them in their lies, well have at it -- whatever brings you joy. Not worth it to me, I find it more fun to drive the car, listen to the tunes on my Reus system, and put my energy elsewhere. Oh the horror of all us downtrodden victims of corporate greed having to live with a little yellow on our screens!!

I do want a new one if they come up with a fix.. sure, but I don't even have 45m of my time to spend on this... but very much appreciate the OP who shared the easy steps if the time ever does come.

I figure every minute my car is in a service center is an exponential increase in likelihood of even more issues occurring, that has been my experience -- so I avoid 'em!

Oh well, if you haven't seen it then I guess it's never, ever happened. I'll notify my friend, he'll be thrilled.

I know this thread is about the yellow border but sharing this video since the discussion has shifted a bit to MCU failures. Most failures are caused by excessive logging to the eMMC. This video has been posted in another thread but can’t find it ATM.

Fast-forward to the 8:35 minute mark.

Has Tesla changed this knowing how bad it is for the eMMC?

I feel the best "solution is to "expose" an easily accessible MicroSD slot. You can then stick a 256 GB MicroSC card and they can log the living daylights out of it and use it for all temporary data storage and perhaps even store games, map data, and such. If the drive fails, nothing else is really affected and it can then default to using the eMMC in the MCU as a BACKUP with a warning display to replace the MicroSD card.

Hi all!

I come bearing news on how to get your yellow screens replaced.

Its surprisingly simple. Tesla participates in a program called NCDS which is binding arbitration for Tesla but NOT for the individual. This is a remediation option prior to true binding arbitration. This means that even if you lose you can still pursue other options later but Tesla has to abide by the ruling. If you follow my points below, you should be able to get your screen replaced using this method.

I went to their website here: NCDS - Automotive Warranty Disputes and filed a claim. All I wrote was a few short sentences describing my screen and explaining that Tesla refuses to fix it. About 2 days later I received an email confirming the claim is eligible and notifying me I would be assigned an arbitrator and a date for a conference call.

I received an email and a letter via the mail a few days later confirming my arbitration date for 3 weeks away. Shortly after, I received an email with Tesla's response. Their response was quite fascinating, in that they 100% admitted the design flaw, but are trying to place it as both "wear and tear" being caused by "environmental conditions" and just a "cosmetic issue". Their response is here: Tesla Response . The interesting bits are mainly on pages 4 and 5.

Shortly after I was provided their response, I replied to my claims administrator and sent her a written response providing dates and times I spoke with individuals, with their names, contrary to Tesla's representative's claim that I never contacted them over this issue to seek a repair. I also provided both photos of the issue to show it impacts while the screen is on, and a copy of an invoice (here: Tesla Repair) showing that they previously claimed it as warranty. This was forwarded to Tesla.

On the day of the call, my husband and I joined with the arbitrator and Tesla's lawyer. The discussion was short, only 30 minutes and had a few interesting notes:

* The discussion partially focused around whether it was a design "characteristic" as opposed to "flaw"
* Tesla claimed it was an environmental issue and provided no proof thereof. The arbitrator dug into this and made it clear he was unimpressed with their claim that had no backing. The lawyer on Tesla's side claimed they had the documents but could not provide them "because of NDAs and such"
* Tesla has _not_ issued a TSB(technical service bulletin) for this issue. That was another sticking point for our arbitrator.
* Tesla's lawyer specifically called out that the flaw impacts every model S/X of that "vintage", but then stated that not every one will exhibit the problem.
* I brought up during the call that I had called the service center that morning and they claimed to have no knowledge on dates for the fix. This was in direct response to Tesla's representative claiming that the fix was actively rolling out to service centers across the country, and had been for 2 weeks.
* interesting note about refresh: Their lawyer admitted that they are now completing final details on their refresh that is around the corner, and this won't be a problem for those vehicles.

Once we ended the call, it took about a week to get the decision in my email: decision . All told, this took MAYBE 45 minutes worth of my time. I now have a mobile tech scheduled to come out next week, and notes in my account to not cancel the appointment.

Thank you for posting this detailed information for the benefit of owners... I find it appalling that they do not accept responsibility :cool:

Tesla is well aware of the issue by their own admission and refuses to do the right thing...

upload_2019-7-3_21-52-37.png

I, for one, appreciate your more relaxed and tolerant attitude, on an issue that is really fairly minor. The intolerance of some of the attitudes, demands for immediate replacement, talks of class action lawsuits, on these "yellow border" threads are really out of proportion, in my opinion. I don't believe that Tesla is trying to cheat or screw anybody. I do believe that individual company representatives say things that are not necessarily correct, that upset people, and that the lawyer was being a lawyer and trying to find any argument or angle that would avoid consequences to his client (that's why we hire lawyers, after all). Those that insist that only a new screen will satisfy them and feel offended and enraged will encounter push-back and will see the issue as a fight--which, I guess, it what people think the Internet is for.

I, too, have the yellow border issue, and I am content to let Tesla try the new curing fix. This fix being rolled out proves that Tesla acknowledges that it is a problem and intends to do something about it. I am content to let them try it out.

Why is it for Tesla to hire lawyers to "do what lawyers do" but intolerant for owners to hire a lawyer (or represent themselves) and "do what lawyers do"?

I tried trading in a car with yellow screen a couple of weeks ago, after the dealer found out about the screen, they would not trade it in until it's fixed, and not willing to hold the new car for me (eTrons are hot, the one that was available is gone now) or guarantee the trade-in value (since Tesla has no guaranteed timeline to fix it). So, I get screwed on resale value of my car, and opportunity to buy a new one, but according to you, it's ok, because Tesla is not intentionally trying to screw me, only accidentally because they gambled on something by shipping it without testing and it didn't work out?

I haven't ever heard of Tesla refusing to honor the warranty when the eMMC chip fails during the warranty period...
If this screen things works out for them, they might try the EMMC too, especially that this is in fact wear and tear (has to do with the EMMC wearing out, because Tesla apparently didn't put in a robust enough part to sustain the wear that their software puts on it).

Last edited: