Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my screen repaired at the Devon service center. I was supposedly the first car to have it done there when the regional person was training the techs there on how to use the tool. My post with before/after pics is linked above.

At the time, the fix was being pilot tested. I don't know if they have the actual tool there or not yet.

I am satisfied with the results.
Thanks, appreciate your feedback!

I've got the UV treatment done - some yellowish still there. I was advised to schedule another appointment. Here are before and after:
yellow border before copy.jpg
yllow border after copy.jpg

It's fixed! Before and after attached. Mine seems pretty minor based on what other's have shown. Time will tell if it's permanent or not.

View attachment 448813 View attachment 448814

Thanks Bellevue Service Center!

Interesting. Mine is much darker and I recall it is right against the edge of the display rather than spaced out from the edge by a clear portion. Mine is so dark, I would not call it yellow, rather brown. I'm not with the car at the moment, but I'll take a pic when I get back.

Maybe I don't understand. Do they fix this by shining UV light on the screen? That's it?

Wouldn't it be wiser for Tesla to just replace screens and then take the bad screens and apply the UV treatment to them and use those screens. Seems silly to only have a handful of machines and make people guess when the machine will be in there area

The big factor for Tesla is to hold steadfast that this is NOT a warranty issue. So they won't be replacing any screens until it becomes too painful to continue to deny the problem.

Sad but true… it's a shame that Tesla has come to this.

I'm not sure it wasn't inevitable given the fast and loose nature of how the company is run.

If something significant happens with the model 3 that makes them pay for significant repairs to even a fraction of the model 3 cars they've built, the company won't be able to afford to pay for all the fixes. Musk had to get new capital just to deal with the expected expenditures for the next year or two. Even that will only keep the company solvent if everything else goes pretty much perfectly. They are lucky this is a model S/X issue. Imagine word getting out on the street that the model 3 has this level of quality issues?!!!

I'm not sure it wasn't inevitable given the fast and loose nature of how the company is run.

If something significant happens with the model 3 that makes them pay for significant repairs to even a fraction of the model 3 cars they've built, the company won't be able to afford to pay for all the fixes. Musk had to get new capital just to deal with the expected expenditures for the next year or two. Even that will only keep the company solvent if everything else goes pretty much perfectly. They are lucky this is a model S/X issue. Imagine word getting out on the street that the model 3 has this level of quality issues?!!!

Since the early sales of Model S and X vehicles helped to launch the company, Tesla should be motivated to keep their loyal customers.

Instead, they are alienating the very people who made thousands of referrals and spread the word about this innovative EV company.

More like they hoped you wouldn't notice it was still there, to me that is pretty obvious and could not have been missed by the tech doing the fix for you.

I think it's more of a case of they are not using sketchpad or some other all-white edge to edge tool to verify the yellowing is gone. For non-severe cases, it can be difficult to see the yellowing indoors (e.g. in a service bay).

More like they hoped you wouldn't notice it was still there, to me that is pretty obvious and could not have been missed by the tech doing the fix for you.
Well, there is also a possibility that the fix can be very temporary in some cases, could look all gone right after application, but a couple of hours later it re-yellows. I'm not saying that is what happened here, just mentioning it is a possibility - so either Tesla didn't fix it right or the yellow border can re-appear not long after.

I think it's more of a case of they are not using sketchpad or some other all-white edge to edge tool to verify the yellowing is gone. For non-severe cases, it can be difficult to see the yellowing indoors (e.g. in a service bay).
So are you suggesting incompetent tech, or incompetent person who wrote the repair procedure, or that there is no procedure (therefore incompetent VP of service)? The sketchpad is an obvious way to test for yellowing, and proper test should be part of the written repair procedure steps. So, either one of these, or they tried to get away with it hoping customer will not come back.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I purchased my S back in November of last year. Both my touch screen and instrument cluster have a yellow border and I noticed it a few months ago. Been following this thread pretty closely because I also got the run around when I tried to request it be repaired.

I do have a dumb question though...

If this in fact isn’t a warranty issue, why invest time and money into R&D of a cost effective solution such as the UV light treatment? Seems like if it was a ‘cosmetic’ issue, it would be more profitable to require people to pay full price for a new screen.

I don't think Tesla can plausibly deny this is a warranty issue, should this ever be tested in litigation or arbitration, as they have replaced many screens under warranty (mine included) prior to changing the policy. Seems to me the replaced screens are, under any reasonable interpretation, an admission that they view this as a defect covered by the warranty. Caveat, I have not read the warranty to see if they reserve the right to change what is and isn't covered at their discretion, but that would seem pretty aggressive.

If this in fact isn’t a warranty issue, why invest time and money into R&D of a cost effective solution such as the UV light treatment? Seems like if it was a ‘cosmetic’ issue, it would be more profitable to require people to pay full price for a new screen.
I can think of multiple reasons:
  1. Pacify PR - if anyone asks, they want to be able to say they have a fix for it and they are fixing cars every day, as well as have people post online how they had theirs fixed. Media has a very short attention span, the fact that it's probably only few cars a day and only at select centers gets lost in the noise.
  2. Fix the problem for existing production. Either pre-apply the fix in production, or maybe it's just cheaper to develop a fix and just continue shipping the same screen on current S & X, vs. redesigning them to use a different screen.
  3. Fix inventory cars or at least be able to tell customers "Oh, don't worry about this yellowing of your brand new car, we have a fix, so just take delivery now and make an appointment to fix it".
  4. Kick the can down the road - string people along to avoid lawsuits. If they take a hard line and simply say "not covered, you must pay" it will encourage people to sue to fix their $80K+ car. If you tell them "fix is coming" or "fix is available, people's natural good nature and/or laziness will make them wait. After few years a yellow screen on an 8 year old, $10K car is not an eye sore anymore, so the problem solves itself.
  5. Give them a bargaining chip convincing people to drop arbitration. "We'll fix it for you, so just drop the arbitration" - from accounts of such offers, it doesn't come with "within 30 days", but some people don't notice and will drop thinking they got the same result (arbitration win would include a 30 day deadline)
  6. Make them appear more reasonable to the arbitrator. If they simply refused and said they are doing nothing about, it makes them look worse in the eyes of human arbitrators, this way they appear accommodating and reasonable telling the arbitrator they will fix it even if the customer loses arbitration - more likely for the arbitrator to rule in their favor.
  7. Insurance - it is cheaper to fix than replace, so whenever forced to fix by arbitration or a lawsuit, they at least have a cheaper alternative. Worst case scenario they lose some class action and wouldn't have the time to develop the fix then.

Without back tracking 52 pages in this thread and then over the other threads on this topic, does anyone know 100% if Tesla has actually got a new screen revision that this problem is fixed or are the current 2019 raven models still having faulty screens fitted ?
Are we in a situation where this could all go away for them if they fitted a newer screen revision but are refusing to because of the cost?

Mine is getting so bad now that I could definitely say it affects the operation as it is very difficult to see what is under the yellow when the sun is coming in through the windows. The camera actually makes it look better to the eye than what it is.
How can they seriously say this is just cosmetic?

Yellow_Screen.jpg

Last edited: