Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yearly service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you do this? I thought this was only available through the service screens.

The CAC is also available in the logs or from OVMS.

Do you mean sit there without charging?

Exactly. Set your charge timer to start early every night so the car has a chance to sit for a few hours after charging. The balancing happens after the charge is complete while the car is still plugged in.

Do you mean leave the ignition key in the accessory position?

That is great!! I am going to try this (once I completely understand it :rolleyes:)

I am reasonably technical myself and have a great rapport with the tech's. Byron (the Roadster master tech in Miami) suggested range-charging, then driving until "very low".

To recalibrate the CAC you need to go for a long continuous drive without turning the key off. Start at a full standard charge (or range charge) and drive it continuously until the battery gauge is in the yellow zone. If you stop and turn the key it cancels the recalibration.

I didn't realize that 110v was THAT bad. I know that the techs have said that charging on their charges (HPA) helps to balance the pack (I only have 110v and the UMC.)
Thanks for the suggestions!

Charging at 110V is inefficient and runs the HVAC less often, so isn't advisable for regular charging, but it does give you a slightly higher ideal range number.

Another thing to note was that the front tires did not wear evenly. The driver's front wore out the inside of the tire. As I understand it, the Roadster does not have any alignment?

That doesn't look good - I'd have the alignment checked either by Tesla or a professional alignment shop. The alignment specs are in the owners manual.

Am I the only one who found humor in this?
madeonearth.jpg

[Watch your CAC, no need to do a Range Mode.]
>How do you do this? I thought this was only available through the service screens.

Yes, as djp indicated you can access the CAC though OVMS or from the VMSparser with your Roadster logfile.

[In the first 2-3 weeks do full Standard mode charges and let it sit there when you're not driving, this will balance the pack out.]
>Do you mean sit there without charging?

Meaning, when you get home from work or driving charge the Roadster in Std. mode and let it sit overnight. Any chance you get, keep the Roadster above 80% SOC or full charged in Std. Mode. Once the charge is done there's no need to keep the charge cable connected. Then just drive the Roadster as you normally do, but when you come home charge it up again. This is only to ensure your pack is balanced. I'm not sure if the Technicians can see from your logs if your pack is balanced, if not, take a drive to Tesla in 2-3 weeks and ask them to view your balancing grid to see if your pack is fully balanced. After its balanced then you just wait for your CAC to climb. My CAC is maxed out now (just this morning) at 160 CAC so I can't climb any higher. I found two places where it recalculates the CAC. 1) After your 80%+ Std. Mode charge and the pack has had time to balance (I presume Range mode if you let it sit). And after you drive off and let it sit. My commute is 35 miles which pulls the SOC down from 82-84% to 70-74%. When I come back after 8 hours, I see the CAC again has been recalculated and I usually see a 0.15 increase, at times I'll saw a drop as well, but in majority of the cases it was growing. Then when you see your CAC appeared to have leveled off, Do a full charge in std. or range mode (I did a range mode charge here to pull all the cells up for a better re-calibration mark). Then after the Range mode charge is done, drive off! This is where you do the single key turn 70%+ draw of the pack and remember Do Not Turn Off the Roadster's Key! Come back and charge back to std. Now that I'm maxed out on my CAC value I'm going to do that 1-key turn / 70% pull of the pack to try and sync my ideal miles up with my CAC. I'll try to do that this or next weekend.

[After that, depending, you can draw 70% of the pack down on "1 key turn" and then charge.]
>Do you mean leave the ignition key in the accessory position?
I mean after you turn the key on to make the Roadster go and move forward, don't touch the key at all until you're home and ready to do you std. mode charge. You may want to write a sticky note to remind you, can be tricky :)

>I am reasonably technical myself and have a great rapport with the tech's. Byron (the Roadster master tech in Miami) suggested range-charging, then driving until "very low".

I think this (above) is the one-key turn drive we were talking about.

>I also would stay off 110V charging. I don't know why people rely on that, its just asking for the pack to become unbalanced and doesn't buy you anything long term. Only time I use 110 is when I don't have any other option to charge and with that I'm still sketched and make sure I balance my pack after that off of a 240v/30amp charge. I didn't realize that 110v was THAT bad. I know that the techs have said that charging on their charges (HPA) helps to balance the pack (I only have 110v and the UMC.)

Its not that 110V is bad to charge off of, its that it takes soooo long to actually reach a full state of charge. From the technicians I talked to they said that the Roadsters they saw who charged off of 110V (I presume primarily) always had battery packs that were way out of balance since most likely as soon as the Roadster is charged they drive off before its balanced or unplug before a full charged is reached As djp indicated, it is inefficient. I did it for the 1st time over the weekend, got 20 miles at most from a good nights charge on 110v/15amps and was happy to unplug it and charge at 240v/32amps quickly there after! It is good to always keep the 110V mobile connector in the car for emergencies and if you need to cool down the pack if you're stuck in an extreme hot condition.

>Another thing to note was that the front tires did not wear evenly. The driver's front wore out the inside of the tire. As I understand it, the Roadster d
does not have any alignment?

My fronts of my Roadster are wearing the same way but not as bad on the inside, I believe this is due to the negative camber. It appears to be set very aggressively. Looking at your pictures it appears you don't even touch your outside edge. I guess you don't push your Roadster hard in turns since you're in Florida where there aren't as many hard turns but mostly straights? The outside corner of my Roadster's front edges are feeling the tarmac and have their edges cut up from pushing it hard and playing with the understeering. The rears do the same as you know with the wear on the insides. Negative camber is done typically to gain better handling through turns. With sports cars that have negative camber you have to train yourself to check the tires for tire wear from the inside out :)

Example of an Extreme Negative Camber:
camber-wheels.jpg

camber.jpg

Last edited:
Got some information on the CAC (the warning is from the TPMS - just replaced all of the sending units in the wheels and need to reset the system.)
The CAC is what is confusing me. I was told that this pack has a CAC of 155 but I only see 150. I am reading it right? This image was taken after an overnight charge.
IMG_20131113_083953.100.jpg

Does this mean that the pack is balanced:
IMG_20131113_084043.897.jpg

The balancing grid with all zeros can either mean that the pack is perfectly balanced, or that the BMS is not currently running a balancing cycle (which is the more likely of the two).

The balancing cycle runs directly after a Standard or Range charge completes. You'll see a mix of ones and zeros that get refreshed every 60 seconds. The zeros are lower voltage bricks and the ones higher voltage bricks (which are being bled off). The balancing grid corresponds directly to the brick number. For example sheet 2, brick 1 is brick number 19 (2 x 9 + 1).

I've discovered that I can do a fast balancing in Standard mode by restarting the charge every few hours. Start by doing a Standard charge, then let the car sit for a few hours to balance and bleed off the highest bricks. Then restart the charge (which should only take 5-10 mins) to top off all bricks, let sit for a few hours to bleed off the highest bricks, rinse and repeat. After a few cycles the highest and lowest voltages will start to converge and SOC limit will slowly increase. This seems to bring the pack into balance a lot faster than just letting it sit without cycling the charge.

When did you acquire the Roadster where they told you the pack had 155 CAC? Time and not driving the Roadster on long trips / recalculating the CAC can cause it to drop to a lower number. CACs have been known to float up and down.

If you're worried about the CAC, dump your logs and run them through the VMSparser or the graphical log parser which will show you your min and adv. brick CAC, from there you can see if one low brick is pulling down the rest of the pack. Your packs's CAC is as good / high as the lowest CAC brick. Also you can plot over time your CAC value, so you can see a good history / trend.

Your car HAD a CAC of 155 - it's now 150.61 - it'll decrease over time and mileage
It supposedly had 155 when they put it in a week before. I had driven no more than 100 miles since then when I posted this. Now that I have put more miles on the car (maybe a couple of hundred) the CAC has not really budged.

- - - Updated - - -

When did you acquire the Roadster where they told you the pack had 155 CAC? Time and not driving the Roadster on long trips / recalculating the CAC can cause it to drop to a lower number. CACs have been known to float up and down.
I was told when they swapped out the battery that the new battery had a 155 CAC and that the old one had a 150 CAC. I have no idea what it was when I got the car. I have been driving the car daily since the pack has been replaced and although I have not seen the CAC change, the (normal) range has steadily increased.

I was told when they swapped out the battery that the new battery had a 155 CAC and that the old one had a 150 CAC. I have no idea what it was when I got the car. I have been driving the car daily since the pack has been replaced and although I have not seen the CAC change, the (normal) range has steadily increased.

It's possible the CAC is stored in the VMS, which hasn't had a chance to learn the CAC of your new battery and is still displaying your old CAC. Try going for a long drive on a single key turn and charge back up to Standard.

Your increased standard range is probably a result of balancing, not changes in CAC.