Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is a great idea. I think a front camera offers additional help that a sonar won't: low curbs and parking spot concrete stoppers aren't seen by parking sensors. This will save a lot of curbing of your front bumper.

In fact, a couple of weeks ago I posted about the Kenwood CMOS310 camera that has an interesting feature of 3 views built into one camera including a wide angle view, top down view, corner views and a split screen view, plus configurable distance lines.

It's pricey at $260 just for the camera at sonix, but it looks cool. I also just ordered a rear view mirror as well but am thinking of trying to mod a sun visor to hold an LCD. The camera just arrived today but I have no car or monitor to hook up to.

Not to hijack, but here's my thread, in case people want to check out a different option.
Thinking of this front view camera video solution

artsci
I will be looking for your update on this. Am currently investigating several full view systems which use 4 cameras and an interface box to allow both sides, front and rear views. The view can be controlled by remote control however it does not have a monitor. I am looking for wiring which comes from the existing rear camera to see if the full view system could be used with the main screen. Your mirror monitor would be a great alternative. Let me know how it looks when mounted in the car.

It sounds like you have newer information than we do. Source?

George B at TESLIVE. A group of us talked to him for about an hour and I asked him about this point blank. While he didn't completely rule it out he basically said that the complexity and cost of upgrading an already built and delivered car made it near impossible to consider from a corporate point of view. Training and equipment for the service centers are the chief barriers. Won't be a problem for newly built cars going forward, provided you order the option when you place the order, but looking back, nada.

If you look at the parking sensor ETA thread, I emailed Jerome G directly last week and he confirmed a retrofit is coming soon but will be expensive due to the need for new front and rear fascia.

George B at TESLIVE. A group of us talked to him for about an hour and I asked him about this point blank. While he didn't completely rule it out he basically said that the complexity and cost of upgrading an already built and delivered car made it near impossible to consider from a corporate point of view. Training and equipment for the service centers are the chief barriers. Won't be a problem for newly built cars going forward, provided you order the option when you place the order, but looking back, nada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If they're really going to replace the bumpers, probably more than that. But I think it's ridiculous that they would need to do that.

I'm guessing that it's cheaper for Tesla (in the long run) to replace the bumpers than to have customers complain the service centres misaligned the holes by some small amount.

If Tesla replaces the bumper facias, will they come painted, or will a body shop have to do this? How will the paint match the rest of the car? Seems it would be better to make the mounting holes in the existing facias.

artsci
I am looking for wiring which comes from the existing rear camera to see if the full view system could be used with the main screen.

I have wondered about this as well. Getting a wireless license plate camera for my front license plate and tapping the reciever into the rear camera video wires. Then there would be a video selector switch discretely hidden within arms reach which would normally be set for the rear camera, but when you need it, it can be set for the front camera and just tap the camera icon to show it on the screen.

There are tons of these wireless license plate cameras on ebay quite cheap. The only thing holding me back is i am hoping somebody will figure out the wiring. And would the signals be compatible? I am not too confident in figuring that out myself.

I have wondered about this as well. Getting a wireless license plate camera for my front license plate and tapping the reciever into the rear camera video wires. Then there would be a video selector switch discretely hidden within arms reach which would normally be set for the rear camera, but when you need it, it can be set for the front camera and just tap the camera icon to show it on the screen.

There are tons of these wireless license plate cameras on ebay quite cheap. The only thing holding me back is i am hoping somebody will figure out the wiring. And would the signals be compatible? I am not too confident in figuring that out myself.

This will take someone with knowledge of electronics way beyond mind and who's also willing to take some risks with experimentation with the touch screen/camera. This is beyond my capabilities. I'm willing to take risks but only if I have some basic knowledge of what needs to be done. For now I'm going with conventional. But I should be able to connect the dashcam output to the monitor on the mirror.

I'm curious about powering the camera and the mirror monitor... How are you going to do that?

The camera will be powered from leads I already have in nose cone for the Lighted T and several other mods. Not a problem. The mirror monitor will be powered from the connections in the little hatch cover just in front of the reeview mirror, which has been the subject of threads on powering dash cams.

I love the idea of adding a front camera, and I already have a dash cam installed, but thinking about artsci solution I began to wonder if it would be possible to intercept the rear camera and run it into a switch like this:http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog...Screen-Control-Box-for-up-to-4-Backup-Cameras

Then feed the output to the 17 inch monitor. Does anyone have the input/output info for the 17inch monitor and backup camera? This could be a cool mod to have 4 way or 2 way display.

J

Not willing to punch holes in my front bumper and failing with electromagnetic sensors, I've been searching for other alternatives for front bumper parking protection. Today I found and ordered a wireless front facing camera and 7" color monitor from Tadi Brothers in Los Angeles. Don't know how well it will work but the folks at Tadi Brothers assured me the camera and monitor are of high quality and produce a very good image. The angle of view is 120 degrees. The camera needs a 12volt connection but is not wired to the monitor, which has a wireless receiver.

When I get this installed I'll post photos. Should take a week or two to get it installed.

Have you looked into whether or not this can be hooked up to the onboard screen? I find myself getting too close for comfort when parking, so it would be nice to have this added. I'm not sure if I'd want to add another monitor to the car though.

I think this is a great idea. I think a front camera offers additional help that a sonar won't: low curbs and parking spot concrete stoppers aren't seen by parking sensors. This will save a lot of curbing of your front bumper.

In fact, a couple of weeks ago I posted about the Kenwood CMOS310 camera that has an interesting feature of 3 views built into one camera including a wide angle view, top down view, corner views and a split screen view, plus configurable distance lines.
I like the new wrap-around view provided in the 2013 Nissan LEAF which my 2011 LEAF doesn't have. Tesla should integrate something like this into their system:

2013-Nissan-Leaf-around-view-monitor.jpg

Image source: http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2013/02/2013-Nissan-Leaf-around-view-monitor.jpg

Video demonstration: YouTube - Nissan LEAF All Around View Monitor