Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Parking Camera - My $150 / 15 min. installed Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you so much for this thread. Was searching for a front camera solution. Just installed it today. New to Tesla. 2023 model y. So far was pampered with USS and birds eye view camera in all the other cars, now almost feel like blinded with the Tesla. Couldn't believe this thing didn't have some simple features like this.
Looking for a good place to put the monitor on. Any ideas?

Reactions: KITT 2.0
The problem I have is my car spends much of its life in a dark garage. Don’t think I’ll get benefit from the solar aspect…, not to mention I live in Seattle. 😂

That’s said, for $20 it’s worth a shot!

You could always have a little battery or AC light in front of the car in the garage to keep the solar panel charging the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: dion009
Madness, right? Stupid expensive cars which are meant to drive themselves (haha, yeah right), and we can't even see well enough to park against curb etc.
Madness- my old Nissan Rogue has front and back camera . Any way Elon thinks that it is not necessary,so we don’t have it. I don’t understand why can’t Tesla have a bird eye view for us old people? Just ordered the front camera after I scraped the bumper. Thanks every one for posting.

The OP model has a version with solar that looks much better. If you go through the thread there was several other low profile solar models.

This version is kind of bulky and in attractive for my taste.

Slim model with large solar panel. Not a plate mount model but others have attached nice clean and stealth.

Solar Wireless Backup Camera with 3Mins DIY Installation, Rechargeable Battery Back Up Camera for Cars with Super Night Vision, 5" Car Monitor Hitch Reverse Cam for Van/SUV/Truck/Trailer/RV (SunGo2) Amazon.com

I’m saying that the front curb protection for the front lip is also being addressed in software - the suspension raises now when it sees a curb when parking.

However, given that I’m salivating over my new UP front diffuser and I’d hate to bust it when it comes with one careless parking job, I got the camera on Amazon :)
but it doesn't always raise enough for high curbs

When I charge at first even after overnight when I press the side button on the camera unit it is always red. However, when I placed it on the licence plate for checking the monitor showed 3 bars for battery. Any idea why it's not showing the accurate charge complete? Thx.
I am yet to mount it. I may do like the OP as I have a solar panel too. Do you use the small screws that came with the unit to mount on the grill?

The screen mount looks super clean! Do you mind sharing how the bracket works?
I have a metal shop in my facility and I made it out of some aluminum band like this.

Aluminum is easy to bend, drill and work with but it could be made out of steel.
Cut it down and added some CF Wrap to second one that goes flat on the console charger.

It's a light press fit but it flew out under WOT so I'll add some 2 way tape at the top when I snake the cable under the console

First attempt was ok but I redid it.

Last edited:
I just put in the OP parking camera under the front plate.

I made a bracket to hold the screen that still allows me to charge my phone.

I was able to mount the solar cell on the top of the plate holder under my laser jammer module.

Thanks. I may have to attach the solar cell by some other way. The whole setup looks very clean.

Thanks. I may have to attach the solar cell by some other way. The whole setup looks very clean.

I used to be a bodyman and painter so I like to make things look OEM like.
It takes some trial and error to cut and bend the bracket so that it just press fits in.
Start with longer then cut to length.
There was just enough cable on the solar panel to put it on the top of the plate holder but if you don't have a plate holder then a piece of metal or something sticking out like a ledge from the bottom grille in the center would work.
You can screw it to the bumper like I did the camera with 3 #8 x 1/2" screws along with 2 way tape and 3M Primer 94 adhesion promoter so it will never fall off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhakan