Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Parking Camera - My $150 / 15 min. installed Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others I was wanting a front parking camera for my Plaid, for the obvious reason of not damaging the front lip. After doing some research I found the following and am thrilled with results. For $150 bucks and a no wires to run 15 minute install I couldn't be happier.

First, no wires to run, its wireless and install literally took 15 minutes. The camera has a battery in it, and according to manufacturer and reviews lasts about 2 months, with 2-3 uses a day. I won't use it that much so if I get 2 months between charges I will be perfectly happy. (I did not opt for the solar panel, not needed IMO). To charge, there is a cap on the end of the camera to pop off and a micro usb port.

I mounted the camera with two zip ties to the grill in the front. It is only visible when bending down to look for it. See pics. As for the monitor, its plugs into the 12V socket in the center console. Press a button on the side and it turns on for 45 seconds then automatically shuts off. It can be configured for 45, 60 or 90 seconds, I chose the shortest as its plenty of time when pulling up to a curb / parking space.

The picture quality is fine for what it is, its not 4k or HD but definitely high enough resolution for the job. Simply press the button on the side of the monitor and the pic pops right up. You can adjust the angle of the lens by rotating it on the camera and you can also adjust the angle of the red/yellow/green parking indicators, or turn them off if you prefer. I set the indicator to have the red line up with the leading edge of the front lip.

Sure, this should come from the factory, but given that it doesn't I went this route = slide open my center console, hit one button, take a peek at the monitor and I'm done.

Here is a link to it on amazon. I am not affiliated with this company, nor do I receive any compensation for referrals, simply a happy customer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6R6DCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 There is a $40 coupon right now making it $149.
I also opted for the $15.99 protection plan so if it craps out in the next 2 years I get my money back or a replacement.

Let me know if you have any questions or a better solution.

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

i may buy the solar panel and just plug it occasionally. i was also wondering if i could also mount it in the same area and if the small amount of light it would get would be sufficient to keep the battery charged given my minimal usage.

i may buy the solar panel and just plug it occasionally. i was also wondering if i could also mount it in the same area and if the small amount of light it would get would be sufficient to keep the battery charged given my minimal usage.
The other thing to bear in mind is that the camera turns on every time you start the car, so 2-3 times a day battery life for 75 days needs to factor this in. Be nice if it wouldn't come on unless we manually specified it to do so. I'll have mine tomorrow so will add some opinions here.

Charging would be kinda awkward? You wouldn't want to undo/redo the zip tie every time - so you'd either have to get a very long USB cable, or use a portable battery charger/laptop? Also, I wonder if it interferes with Snap Plate.

This is why I reverse into parking spots whenever I can - and I definitely see the occasional usefulness of this. Very much on the edge about this product. It would definitely be better the battery turns on per actual use only, as I do lots of short drives for kids related activities.

Still waiting for more info to convince myself one way or the other...
The other thing to bear in mind is that the camera turns on every time you start the car, so 2-3 times a day battery life for 75 days needs to factor this in. Be nice if it wouldn't come on unless we manually specified it to do so. I'll have mine tomorrow so will add some opinions here.

Charging would be kinda awkward? You wouldn't want to undo/redo the zip tie every time - so you'd either have to get a very long USB cable, or use a portable battery charger/laptop? Also, I wonder if it interferes with Snap Plate.

This is why I reverse into parking spots whenever I can - and I definitely see the occasional usefulness of this. Very much on the edge about this product. It would definitely be better the battery turns on per actual use only, as I do lots of short drives for kids related activities.

Still waiting for more info to convince myself one way or the other...
The problem with reversing into spaces is sentry is far less useful. I always pull straight in for this reason.

As for battery, it charges from the side. You wouldn’t need to remove the unit from the grille to charge. I’ll be using a portable power bank.

Alright. First impressions.

1.) It works well enough! The adjustment angle of the parking lines wasn't in the menus (have to hold down the middle button for 4 seconds to access that), so I'm glad @Stirthepot mentioned it, otherwise I'd never have known. Who can say why it's not just in the menus... You can see the adjustments you can make to the line angle in the images, - before and after (there's I think six settings). Left myself a little wiggle room for the red line. So far, so good!

2.) If you walk past the car and the car wakes up/handles extend, the 12V is not enabled. I was concerned that every time the car woke up, the screen would activate, thus triggering the camera to the minimum 45 second transmission, and thus draining the battery unnecessarily. Thankfully this is not the case!

3.) When you open the doors of the car, though, that's when the 12V enables, so yes - getting in the car OR opening a door even - is considered triggering the unit on. We'll see how long the battery lasts in reality, then.

4.) I installed mine with three zip ties because, why not? May as well have some redundancy and it makes no difference to visibility. I installed the zip ties first, and then slid the unit through, since this was easier than messing about with trying to zip then while holding the camera. I'd advise not zip-tie-ing near the camera itself so you can still easily rotate the lens portion once installed.

5.) It works great! Let's see how it holds up, battery/quality-wise, but so far, no complaints.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.42.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.42.44 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 460
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.42.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.42.50 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 470
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.43.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.43.49 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 474
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.45.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.45.44 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Looks great and glad to hear it works well. This is a much simpler solution than hardwiring. Here's my hardwired version 2021+ Front Parking Camera Installed . I use it almost daily.
You did a great job with that install, to be honest! But yes, this system is simpler, but does require occasional charging. That's something I can certainly live with, as I'm not as industrious as you!

I bought the solar panel for 20 bucks. I’m going to try plugging it in sometimes when I’m at the office for a day to see how it charges just resting in the parking lot for 8 hrs.

It did say that in the winter, even with the solar panel that you will have to charge occasional. So, not unlike our cars the cold has a efficient impact on the battery