Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about implementing intermittent wipers? That started working 30 years ago, with no sensors or computers required. The current manual options I’d describe as too fast, way too fast, and “are you kidding me?” for 95% of the rain we see in New England. I no longer use TACC in any sort of inclement weather because of the insane wiping that can’t be controlled. The current Tesla implementation is only one step better than my 1950 Chevy truck where we rigged a rope to the wiper and passed it through the vent windows to pull the wiper back and forth when needed. Having to push a button to get a wipe every minute or two is just stupid.

I bet not a single line of code related to the wipers was changed. We have all had good days where they work fine only for the next time to be hopeless. Different day, different condition, even rebooting the system because of the upgrade means it is impossible to draw any conclusion until you have weeks of data to make a comparison.
Fair, we will see but feel when the release notes state bug fixes, etc it could apply to the wipers
I see a big functional difference in the last six months of code releases
I had them on auto during rain and did not turn them off auto once the rain stopped
They operated correctly
The real test will be leaving it on auto all of the time, as stated we will see

Auto wipers I have found have some very specific use cases where they are outright poor.

Road spray when overtaking - doesn’t clear screen quick enough - thankfully you have a button on stalk to override
Low sun - dry wipe - can’t easily override
Dappled shade/trees with bright sky - dry wipe - can’t easily override
Night/Twilight - too slow to wipe/no wipe - override button on stalk
Heavy shower just stopped - fast wipes on otherwise clear screen - can’t easily override

Above not always (except road spray which is pretty much guaranteed to be a problem) but enough to pick up a pattern over time not just one drive.

Some of the above may just be driver preference which could potentially be fixed by a sensitivity control like other cars have.

Rest of the time they work just fine. But doesn’t mean anything changed/fixed.

Last edited:
…one of a number of contributing factors that lead people, probably existing owners, to chose another brand for their next car. That is a hard one to quantify though.
If you wish to quantify, add me to your list. After over five years with my Model 3, it will be “one and done” with Tesla for our EV stable. I continue to be dismayed, and certainly disillusioned, by the functionality and usability regression since purchase. Just a small sample of the things my M3 has or had that have been crippled: maps no longer in full color, radar disabled, AutoPark/Smart Summon/Dumb Summon all taken away, etc. If you compare my M3 with a new version, the deprecation gets much worse: no stalks, no ultrasonic sensors, more reliance on Tesla’s Vision product, no passenger lumbar feature, you get the point. And yes, they’re selling them as quickly as available. But not to me.

Still have the Model 3, added my next EV: Hyundai Ioniq5. The I5 includes all the wonderful things we liked about our Model 3 before its attack by vehicular sensory and functional deprivation.

Reactions: mtndrew1 and GlynG
If you wish to quantify, add me to your list. After over five years with my Model 3, it will be “one and done” with Tesla for our EV stable. I continue to be dismayed, and certainly disillusioned, by the functionality and usability regression since purchase. Just a small sample of the things my M3 has or had that have been crippled: maps no longer in full color, radar disabled, AutoPark/Smart Summon/Dumb Summon all taken away, etc. If you compare my M3 with a new version, the deprecation gets much worse: no stalks, no ultrasonic sensors, more reliance on Tesla’s Vision product, no passenger lumbar feature, you get the point. And yes, they’re selling them as quickly as available. But not to me.

Still have the Model 3, added my next EV: Hyundai Ioniq5. The I5 includes all the wonderful things we liked about our Model 3 before its attack by vehicular sensory and functional deprivation.
I totally agree with your comments and likewise for me Tesla is a "one and done" thing. I do like my car but not tempted by the newer same model and the Highland will never make a shortlist for me in the future. The removal of parts since late 2019 of the model 3 in my view has changed the way i view the car, It was (for me) a premium motor, I was as excited as a kid at Christmas. Tesla was focused on convincing the public a BEV was better in every aspect than an ICE - and the "foibles" - the things that didn't work so well were work in progress and to be honest as an earlyish adopter a thrilling experience - Tesla were trying so hard to be the best. To this day the Supercharger network is their greatest achievement and asset.

If only the car continued to progress in what i regard the right direction - made better, them learning from their mistakes. It appears they are trading on past glory whilst totally focused on maximising profit.
I do accept some developments were better and desirable but I would want them plus all the other stuff - not trade off one improvement with the loss of another.
I appreciate this is just my view but after so many years Tesla has sold within the UK I think its diabolical they haven't done anything to improve the spare parts availability, bread and butter stuff that's on back order for months. Its not rocket science to know cars get damaged, wear out, get abused, parts need replacing - and when involved in an accident they sit for months awaiting panels, so owners have hire vehicles for substantial periods and this has impacted on Insurance costs - which in turn has led to vehicle being written off for quite minor non structural damage - and its Tesla's fault. For a company that claims its aim is sustainability and mass market appeal they sure make it hard to believe it.

The one thing I do congratulate Tesla for though is in making the other manufacturers develop BEVs, We now have a lot of choice, I used to think Tesla were so far ahead that no other manufacturer would ever catch up or offer comparable or dare i say better, but, The charging network has dramatically improved, Gridserve are every bit as good as the Tesla Superchargers and vehicle manufacturers have so many offerings to tempt us in design, price, size, performance and range that Tesla do not stand out like they used to.

Auto wipers I have found have some very specific use cases where they are outright poor.

Road spray when overtaking - doesn’t clear screen quick enough - thankfully you have a button on stalk to override
Low sun - dry wipe - can’t easily override
Dappled shade/trees with bright sky - dry wipe - can’t easily override
Night/Twilight - too slow to wipe/no wipe - override button on stalk
Heavy shower just stopped - fast wipes on otherwise clear screen - can’t easily override

Above not always (except road spray which is pretty much guaranteed to be a problem) but enough to pick up a pattern over time not just one drive.

Some of the above may just be driver preference which could potentially be fixed by a sensitivity control like other cars have.

Rest of the time they work just fine. But doesn’t mean anything changed/fixed.
Guys
Let’s stay on wipers and specifically code and auto wipers
I have two Ts
M3 with 32.4
MY with 32.6
32.6 auto wipers work
32.4 auto wipers still showing issues
Summary, they fixed something in 32.6, all good here
Someone else with 32.6 please provide auto wiper feedback
Let’s always include the code level when we critique, makes not sense to complain about iOS 15.x when 17 is out
:)

Reactions: KDeanCville
How many drives have you done? Have you purposefully driven the same routes, at the same times, in the same conditions, in both cars, multiple times? I presume not because no one does this naturally unless they are explicitly testing something.

I’m always incredulous when someone announces that software version X “has fixed Y”, after maybe one or two isolated drives, when X hasn’t even been out for very long, and sadly I remain so here.

Auto wipers on Teslas using cameras is fundamentally flawed, by design. You’re expecting cameras to detect precipitation reliably, when there’s plenty of ongoing evidence that they remain unable to do even the serious stuff like parking etc with consistency or competency.

Agree to disagree
Looking for auton wiper feedback on 32.6
I’m on 32.6 (another irritating minor update very soon after the last irritating minor update) and today I drove over 200 miles from Glasgow to Lancashire. For me the wipers are just as flawed and I can see no improvement. They did work pretty well when it was actually raining, but they are absolutely useless when there is no rain but lots of surface spray. I had to use them in manual mode and that, of course, meant I couldn’t use AP. It’s seriously pathetic.

It does make me laugh that after almost every insignificant software update someone will declare that the wipers have been fixed, only for it to inevitably turn out that they haven’t. Vision only just doesn’t work.

I’m on 32.6 (another irritating minor update very soon after the last irritating minor update) and today I drove over 200 miles from Glasgow to Lancashire. For me the wipers are just as flawed and I can see no improvement. They did work pretty well when it was actually raining, but they are absolutely useless when there is no rain but lots of surface spray. I had to use them in manual mode and that, of course, meant I couldn’t use AP. It’s seriously pathetic.

It does make me laugh that after almost every insignificant software update someone will declare that the wipers have been fixed, only for it to inevitably turn out that they haven’t. Vision only just doesn’t work.
Thanks for the feedback
Def different in my 32.6 experience
I will test more

Thanks for the feedback
Def different in my 32.6 experience
I will test more
in my experience rain in Ireland and rain in the parts of the USA I have visited are often quite different.

Irish rain like the UK runs the gamet from hours of light drizzle to torrential downpours.
Florida for example rain seems to be either fully on or off most of the time.
The rate at which it gets dark and levels of street lighting etc also vary massively from place to place.

So I think different peoples experiences will vary even with the same car and software.

It is the light drizzly rain and spray that in my experience it struggles most with. it lets the windscreen get dangerously obscured over the course of a minute or so to the point where I have to intervene.

I am still on 26.8 so not commenting on your particular request for feedback. Just a general comment

Reactions: CDB_ and Adopado
but they are absolutely useless when there is no rain but lots of surface spray.

That's the one almost guaranteed to challenge it. All the others in my list were highly variable in their performance, but if they consistently stop poor performance with surface spray overtaking another vehicle that is when I will start believing that something may have changed.

Surface spray in daylight is also the one when I think that auto headlights will be useful. Anyone in UK seen sight of that yet?

I’m on 32.6 and I had exactly the same as this driving 100 miles home from the Lake District yesterday. Wipers absolutely useless in surface spray, had to put them in manual and consequently couldn’t use AP.

This morning I drove to work in low bright sun and the wipers were thrashing around on a dry windscreen. I see absolutely no improvement with the latest update and don’t expect to see any because Vision just doesn’t work.

Reactions: Durzel
I’m on 32.6 and I had exactly the same as this driving 100 miles home from the Lake District yesterday. Wipers absolutely useless in surface spray, had to put them in manual and consequently couldn’t use AP.

For me, you can't disable the wipers with AP but you can still set a manual speed. Has that changed with the latest update?

For me, you can't disable the wipers with AP but you can still set a manual speed. Has that changed with the latest update?
I don't think so but that only helps if it is actually raining and raining heavily enough for settings 1-3 to be useful. Ironically generally those are the conditions under which the wipers tend to work best anyway.
It's times like when you are on auto pilot and it decides to dry wipe repeatedly that you have a problem since you cannot turn them off. Not that I have had an issue with this myself to be fair.

Reactions: Durzel
now on 2023.32.6 - first turn in to direct sunlight and my wipers go off at full speed :(
Also on 32.6. I almost never drive on the freeway so I rarely use AP. Had occasion to do some freeway driving today in bright sunshine and was looking forward to trying out AP for a bit. Repeated dry wiping both on the way there (noon, sun overhead) and on the way back (evening, sun lower down). Gave up and turned off AP after about 10 minutes both times as I couldn't bear the wipers dragging over the dry windscreen. So frustrating.

Reactions: s_zigmond
In many respects I still prefer the Teslas I've over anything else I've owned but the situation with wipers is ridiculous, amateurish and potentially dangerous.

Tonight on a 20 minute journey that I take three times every week, it had been raining all afternoon but had stopped before I set off so I had enough visibility to 'see what happened' if I didn't override the auto setting for wipers (manual driving without AP).

The raindrop covered windscreen remained the same throughout the entire journey with not a single wipe of the blades. Surely the (crap in most respects) Tesla vision must have seen this via both windscreen cameras & it's almost laughable that cars which are often (erroneously) regarded as cutting-edge-tech should fail so badly with the basics.

We are now in the Seasons where it's necessary to wipe the rear camera after any wet journey, where one or more cameras are frequently 'blocked or blinded' and unavailable, where I have to manually activate a single screen wipe, where I'm unable to use Autopilot in certain situations requiring vision or where the wipers do the opposite of what is required. Add this to the requirement for me to 'skilfully' manage avoidance of certain objects during forward parking and no longer use an otherwise very convenient multi storey carpark in my town where the tight 6" high kerbs will rip the alloys to shreds unless I drive and manoeuvre like a snail. None of these things happen with my wifes' near perfect Fiat EV so for local drives it is becoming the go-to that we both compete for.

A Tesla could be exceptional if it wasn't for Tesla.

IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_7992.jpg

Last edited: