Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gents,

I'm trying to summarize the situation to make my decision and help others. Please comment, add/change/delete:

Tires:

- Tesla offers the Pirelli 245/45/19 - Pirelli 240 Sottozero but they ask $4000 and they are out of stock
- 19" inches seems the way to go for winter tires on the S
- Other alternatives, better from what I understand, are, in no particular order, Michelin X Ice 3, Nokians H7 studded, Nokian H7, Nokian R2 and they cost around $335 to $420 each
- For most places, other that online stores, they will install the tires if you buy the tires with them
- Most places I've heard on TMC and elsewhere don't garantee they won't damage the TPMS sensors when changing the tires on the wheel
- If you install your winter tires on another set of wheels, then you need another set of TPMS (is that right?)

Tesla:

- I understand that TM installs the tires and reprograms the TPMS sensors only if you buy the tires with them :-(
- TM will reprogram the TPMS if you happen to have your winter tires installed elsewhere (I still don't know if that piece is part of my Service plan - I was told yes back a couple of months ago but I'm not sure anymore - will have to ask)
- Many indicated they will live with the tire alarm since they live far away from the SC and TM indicated they won't reprogram their TPMS because not under the Service Plan (I guess I have my answer)
- TM will have a new software load that allow the TPMS to be programmed by the owner, up to 8 wheels - no date on new load
- TM can't store the tires
- I bought the Service Plan for what again??? I was told from the get go that tire swapping and TPMS reprogramming was part of the Service Plan (I have that in writing I believe)

PB

Hi PB and others,

- have ordered and received 4 Klasse Apex Matte Black wheels 19" by 8", 5x120 bold pattern 38 offset, cost $720

- will go with Nokian H7 non-studded winters from Merson Auto in Montreal, cost about $350 per tire. Do not think the Pirellis Tesla carries for winter are anywhere near top rated winter tires for northern climate

- will then take car to Laval SC as they told me in writing they would adjust TPMS

- have written Tesla corporate to suggest they revisit their policy of mounting only if their wheels and Pirellis are purchased...

regards

MH

I may have mentioned that I went in to Kal Tire in August to pre-pay and reserve the Hakka R2 tires and was told there was no need... they would have no problem getting them before winter. Well, I went back today and was informed they were sold out and did not even have any at the warehouse. The guy was very helpful and called around. He found that a delivery is expected in mid-November and so I paid and reserved on the spot. Mid-November is usually when I put my winters on anyway, so as long as they arrive I should be good.

I just ordered Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires on gunmetal coloured Rial Lugano wheels with Tesla compatible TPMS sensors from Tire Rack for US$3190, including all costs: mounting, balancing, shipping, duty, taxes, etc.

The Rial Lugano wheels are on a shipment from Germany so the whole package won't arrive in Ottawa until the first or second week of November.

Thanks hanleym14

That's is likely going to be my choice as well (H7 ns)

Couple of questions:

Would a group purchase bring down the price from Merson Auto? I can try to have the Club Tesla Quebec members to join in. Let me know if you're interested.
Did you purchase the Service Plan from TM?
I need to call the SC myself for a faulty suspension, will ask then for the TPMS reprograming

PB

Hi PB and others,

- have ordered and received 4 Klasse Apex Matte Black wheels 19" by 8", 5x120 bold pattern 38 offset, cost $720

- will go with Nokian H7 non-studded winters from Merson Auto in Montreal, cost about $350 per tire. Do not think the Pirellis Tesla carries for winter are anywhere near top rated winter tires for northern climate

- will then take car to Laval SC as they told me in writing they would adjust TPMS

- have written Tesla corporate to suggest they revisit their policy of mounting only if their wheels and Pirellis are purchased...

regards

MH

I just ordered Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires on gunmetal coloured Rial Lugano wheels with Tesla compatible TPMS sensors from Tire Rack for US$3190, including all costs: mounting, balancing, shipping, duty, taxes, etc.

I'm looking at this exact combination for my car (though my total is closer to $3900US due to ridiculous shipping rates :cursing:).

If I'm feeling brave I may just order the wheels/sensors so I can pair them with Hakka R2's from KT or some other local shop.

I'll probably get the whole package from TireRack though, just for simplicity's sake (don't have to worry about the local place mounting the tires on the rims). My wallet will hate me for it, though. :tongue:

UPDATE: After conversing with the folks at TireRack I've discovered that their ridiculous shipping rates are not actually all for shipping. After a point in the order process, TR adds applicable taxes and duties to the total but still lumps it in under shipping. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I still end up paying about $500 in fees per $1000 of items I order. :cursing:

Last edited:
I may have mentioned that I went in to Kal Tire in August to pre-pay and reserve the Hakka R2 tires and was told there was no need... they would have no problem getting them before winter. Well, I went back today and was informed they were sold out and did not even have any at the warehouse. The guy was very helpful and called around. He found that a delivery is expected in mid-November and so I paid and reserved on the spot. Mid-November is usually when I put my winters on anyway, so as long as they arrive I should be good.
When I ordered mine in Sept, there were only 2 sets left in all of Canada. I jumped on it. Hope you get yours in time. My delay is on the Lugano rims which are supposed to arrive in Nov.

When I ordered mine in Sept, there were only 2 sets left in all of Canada. I jumped on it. Hope you get yours in time. My delay is on the Lugano rims which are supposed to arrive in Nov.

Yeah, when I went in during August I think he said there were 6 sets left, but that it was "no problem" because they were supposed to get lots in before autumn. I actually intended to buy them right then, but he talked me out of it. I hope he is right and that more are expected in November :crying:

Since I've already got mine, I feel no need to hide it anymore. I got a great deal from a "tires and rims" start up type place in Mississauga. $1659+tax for Ruffino Corse matte black rims and Nokkian R2 tires, balanced and installed. No TPMS sensors which is a bit annoying, but this is by far the best deal I found for winter tires and rims.

For some reason the picture is upside down on this site, but you get the point.

IMG_1678.JPG

Got it from 416 Tires and Rims. As a caveat this is just a couple guys selling tires and rims, and their shop is somewhat rough, but they did a great job getting everything on.